Disc brake rotors - do I have to get same ones?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
My rotors feel a little rough to the touch and the rears are looking quite thin - although my LBS said they were okay.

I've installed new brake pads and am toying with the idea of changing the rotors too. I have 180mm ones on the front and 160mm ones on the rear. They are Tektro ones that came with the bike.

Do I have replace them with Tektro ones or can I buy any 6-bolt ones?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any 6 bolt rotor will fit.
    I have had clearance issues with the rivets on some, but that's a different issue.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rumbataz
    Great, many thanks. I'll buy some new ones. As a leisure rider I guess some basic new ones will be fine and I don't need to spend large amounts of money on them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Expensive makes no difference at all, will lighten your wallet is all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rumbataz
    I'm looking at Shimano XT RT76 rotors (160mm and 180mm) and both come in at around £35 in total. Would these be overkill or a reasonable replacement for my stock Tektro ones?
  • The Rookie
    They would be fine, but not really necesary, be aware that the rivets joining the brake surface to the spider can cause issues on some callipers.

cheaper here
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/in/en/shimano-xt-rt76-6-bolt-disc-rotor/rp-prod39007
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Those are exactly the ones I had issues with. The bike I had problems with has splined hubs, and not standard, so no choice but to use Shimano rotors as I can't even use adapters. Brakes at the time were, I think Deore M596.

So I just stick to cheapie Shimano - don't look as pretty, but do the job the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rumbataz
    These ones are single-piece rotors which look similar to what I have now: Shimano SLX-Zee-Deore RT66

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-zee-deore-rt66-6-bolt-disc-rotor/rp-prod82436

Reviews look good and 160mm plus 180mm work out at £20.98 in total. No rivets to worry about so I guess these will be fine?
  • cooldad
    Yep, no problems at all with those. What I ended up using.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Good safe and fair value choice.
  • rumbataz
    Many thanks, all. Ordered, and I guess I saved a few quid by checking on here first.