Trainerroad Newbie Questions

jjarz72
jjarz72 Posts: 6
Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place - i haven't been able to locate a dedicated TR forum elsewhere. i just started out on a base+build+specialty plan for the next 28 weeks and had a few questions:

1.) Only two weeks into the base phase but are the workouts supposed to be this easy? I followed the 1.5 hour segment to a T this am and barely broke a sweat. I am a recovering grey zone rider so holding back is still an adjustment. I'm tempted to push up my FTP but figure there's plenty of science to this approach... I need to reassure myself i won't lose fitness waiting 8-10 weeks for the suffering to start.

2.) What zone should one be in if they want to supplement the plan with additional miles? Active Recovery? Endurance? Not sure if going too hard will somehow undermine the overall goal of the plan.

Thanks - John

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Are you doing the sweet spot base plan, or the traditional base plan?
  • sweet spot base
  • I'd suggest no they shouldn't be that easy.

I'm doing the sweet spot base and whilst I don't hit the dizzy heights that I can do on a sufferfest video I certainly know i've been on the turbo.

Maybe worth redoing your FTP test
  • I'm guessing your FTP is wrong. TR workouts are supposed to take you to the edge!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Even on the easy ones I need a sweat towel. Your FTP must be wrong.

Are you recording HR too ?
  • TrevorDeRuise
    TrevorDeRuise Posts: 46
    edited December 2015
    Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place - i haven't been able to locate a dedicated TR forum elsewhere. i just started out on a base+build+specialty plan for the next 28 weeks and had a few questions:

1.) Only two weeks into the base phase but are the workouts supposed to be this easy? I followed the 1.5 hour segment to a T this am and barely broke a sweat. I am a recovering grey zone rider so holding back is still an adjustment. I'm tempted to push up my FTP but figure there's plenty of science to this approach... I need to reassure myself i won't lose fitness waiting 8-10 weeks for the suffering to start.

2.) What zone should one be in if they want to supplement the plan with additional miles? Active Recovery? Endurance? Not sure if going too hard will somehow undermine the overall goal of the plan.

Thanks - John

Sweet Spot Base focuses on Zone 2 and 3, which is endurance, tempo, and "sweet spot". At the beginning of the plan, you'll be more towards zone 2, which is the zone just above active recovery. So it's fair to say these workouts should not be interpreted as 'hard', and that means you're doing them right. I know the workouts where you're HR is maxed out from the start and you're crushing big numbers for 90 minutes (don't worry, these are coming) feel like they are doing more for your fitness, but this seemingly easier Base phase of training is just as important. Pushing big watts all year long is the quickest way to reach a plateau in endurance training.

Did you do an FTP test before starting the plan? Also, do you have a heart rate monitor on? Definitely make sure your FTP is up-to-date and verifying your HR is also in or around your endurance/tempo zone throughout these workouts is a good way to make sure you're doing them right.

For outdoor rides, you want to stay in zone 2 and 3 for now. Try to always keep your outdoor rides similar to the types of rides you're doing in your TR plan for that week. Also, try and keep them consistent from week to week, so that you maintain the TSS ramping that the TR plans are designed with. Here's a good article from Coach Chad with some more insight on that topic: Outdoor Substitution Q & A
  • Thanks All. I did do an FTP (2x8) at the start and worked it pretty hard. The remaining workouts of the initial week had an IF of .79 & .67 so I'm not even coming close to riding at FTP for any part of the duration. I do have a heart monitor as well which was hovering in the ±60% of Max HR.
    My first workout with TR was a random 1-hr ride @ .90 IF and much more along the line of suffering I expected. I'm planning on going Sustained Power Build & Century which only have IF's of .80 & .85. Maybe I'll switch to rolling road race to get a tougher workout.