Whyte T130RS or Whyte T129RS......help??!

nickyhoward55
nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm pretty much set on the brand i wanna splash some cash on but I cannot decide what model to get, maybe you guys can offer your opinion.

I'm coming from a Carrera Karken, it's been a decent bike actually, was only bought as a cheap run about but has handled everything I could throw at it. Previously I've only really had Santa Cruz bikes, originally a bullet and the 1st gen chameleon. I also now have a partially built 06 chameleon that's an ongoing project. Anyway - the Whytes.

I had a quick pedal round a car park on the T129 - seemed nice, has a great spec and looks stunning but the 29" wheels felt odd - coming from a 26" that wasn't surprising.

I have a demo T130 RS for a couple of days this weekend so i should probably reserve judgement until I've had the bike but it doesn't hurt to ask anyway. The thing is, the T130 doesn't excite me. Dunno why.

So, what would you buy for £2750? Do you have a 130 or 129? Opinions?

Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It depends on your riding really, how you ride, what you like and where you ride.

I've tried 29ers but just didn't like the cumbersome feel turning into tighter corners but the faster rolling was nice.

I've stuck with a 26er for my latest bike (built just under a year ago so due a refresh) but would certainly look at 27.5 next time I change, the only time I notice the 29ers I ride with having much of an advantage is on soggy trails (where the soil is soft so 'dents' but not muddy) or over thick grass, on gravel and natural trails they don't seem to gain much.

For that money I'd (that is for what I like and where and how I would ride it) be looking at a Giant Trance or Bird Aeris probably.

The Whytes get good reviews but the componentry is pretty poor for the price to say the least.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Whytes get good reviews but the componentry is pretty poor for the price to say the least.

Strangely I think Whyte are excellent value for money, the T130RS imo is one of the best specced trail bikes out there at the minute. It gets a pike fork, xt 11 speed and decent wheels, which is more than you'll get from a lot of other brands.

I rode the T129 a few years back and was very impressed. It was demo bike that had had a hard life, the fork, shock, reverb and brakes were knackered and it still rode well. Yet to ride the T130 but very much looking forward to getting a chance to have a go on one, looks like a cracking bike.
  • The Whytes get good reviews but the componentry is pretty poor for the price to say the least.

Strangely I think Whyte are excellent value for money, the T130RS imo is one of the best specced trail bikes out there at the minute. It gets a pike fork, xt 11 speed and decent wheels, which is more than you'll get from a lot of other brands.

I feel the same, the spec for the money is much higher than you get on any other main stream brand. It's on par with the canyons etc and you have the benefit of being from a bike shop so any issues can be resolved ASAP.

I'll see how the weekend demo goes - though the weather looks rough as hell!!
  • apc1
    apc1 Posts: 49
    Hi

Faced with similar dilemma. Interested to know which you decided on.

I've been looking at Stumpjumper FSR comp either 650b or 29er,and the Whyte T129s or 130s (but not sure about the colour schemes of the Whytes)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I tried a couple Whytes before buying my bike. They were just boring and uninspiring to ride. The Giant Trance was so much better and the Bird looks like it should be nearly as good.
  • Hi

Faced with similar dilemma. Interested to know which you decided on.

I've been looking at Stumpjumper FSR comp either 650b or 29er,and the Whyte T129s or 130s (but not sure about the colour schemes of the Whytes)

While I ordered a T130RS for the demo it wasn't available on the day - however, they sent me a T130 C RS carbon version. I wasn't complaining! ive no clue what the Giant fan above is on about - it was far a far from boring ride! Sherwood pines was horrible yesterday but I had a blast on the bike. It was super smooth and I thrashed the arse off it. It really didn't miss a beat! I also got to see a T130RS in the shop as I wasn't keen on the black scheme - it looks much better in the flesh.

As I had a blast on the bike I'm going to order a T130RS next month, I don't even need to ride the T129.

I'm not keen on the stumpjumper, OK the auto sag on the shock is nice but that's not a deal breaker. You pay a huge premium for the spesh name which usually impacts on the spec of a bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm no Giant fan but the Trance is just so much more fun to ride. The geometry is spot on and Maestro rear suspension is just brilliant.
    The Stumpjumper comp is also excellent and the 2015 model is available at great prices. The Kona Process 134 would also be worth considering, awesome ride.
    For a little more cash the budget version of the Transition Scout is available, amazing ride but I'm not going to claim the build is good for the price, such a great frame though.