What tyres

geordiebrian
geordiebrian Posts: 63
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
What the best tyres for mixed ground muddy winter weather with a strong side wall

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends on the ground conditions where you ride, what size wheels you have, how hard you ride, what your budget is, how much tyre clearance you have etc.
    For me, on 27.5" wheels, fairly hard riding on rocky, rooty trails and lots of loam I like Specialized Purgatory 2.35" all year round but I like a bit of slide now and then.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, there are many personal factors in tyre choice that you haven't covered.

Mixed muddy ground is also vague, for example my muddy rides means mostly long damp slightly slimey sections followed by cloying deepish mud which I battle through, so my tyres are set to cope with the former as using specific mud tyres for the latter would compromise the majority of my ride. On that basis my winter choice is Nobby Nics (I use lightweight but you could get a more robust sidewall option).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • For muddy stuff get mud tyres, Specialized Storm Control or Bontrager Team XR Mud.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    No that's for Mud, not Muddy.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm going to give the maxxis medusa any one tried them
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mud tyres are for pure xc riding only. If you like to ride harder they won't work, you will either pinch flat lots or dent rims.
    They also only work in mud. They are useless on rocks, roots or surfaced trails or even less boggy dirt.
  • The Rookie
    The Beaver is a great all round 'muddy weather' tyre if towards the pricey end of the market, the Nobby Nic can be found a bit cheaper and what I have on for winter.
  • Nobby nic for wet weather riding, for real? they must have changed hugely since I last used them..
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nobby Nics changed quite a lot a couple years ago. They're not bad now, hugely overpriced if you want a half decent compound, sidewall protection and tubeless ready.
  • The Rookie
    NN has to be in Evo compound, pacestar isnt good.

I use the lightest (slightly porous) sidewall version, and folding, picked up a new one recently for £22.