Best Cyclocross bike under £1500

CornishInitBey
CornishInitBey Posts: 14
edited November 2015 in Cyclocross
As the title says, whats your opinion on the best cyclocross bike under £1500?

Looking at doing some races over the winter just to mix it up a little bit more from the road riding

Cheers JC

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Planet X XLS is the best value in terms of spec. Particularly the £1300 Rival 22 model with hydraulic brakes.
    Although if I had that much money to spend and wanted it for racing I'd probably look at doing a self build based on an older Canti frame to save weight.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Planet X XLS is the best value in terms of spec. Particularly the £1300 Rival 22 model with hydraulic brakes.
    Although if I had that much money to spend and wanted it for racing I'd probably look at doing a self build based on an older Canti frame to save weight.
    If you shop around carefully, and don't mind using some second-hand parts, you can do a lightweight disk build for that sort of money; my bikes are built around XLS framesets with hydraulic disks, and came in comfortably under 8kg for around £1k each (though I did have to build my own wheels...)

If I was buying an off-the-shelf bike, the XLS spec mentioned above would definitely be on my shortlist. Off-the-shelf bikes often skimp on the wheelset, which is fine because you can use the stock wheels for training and then buy/build lighter race wheels later.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I went for the XLS with CX1, nice set of tubs with it as well. Came in at £1500 and cant fault it
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Is it possible you could advise of the final weight please?? I've been looking at the Viner Super Prestige and just might be tempted.
    I went for the XLS with CX1, nice set of tubs with it as well. Came in at £1500 and cant fault it
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • Not sure on weight, but its very light. Most of the weight is lost through the tubs, which have been brilliant once I changed off the vittoria;s that came with the bike on to Clement's.

As a quick update, after having to do a bit of fettle around the rear mech cable routing as planet x had done it wrong so wasn't dropping down the gears easily its no faultless.

Also the disc brakes are nice and light that you can actually lock a wheel with out much effort, its a shock when I jump on the other bike and the canti's don't quite stop you!