First power meter options

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
I am looking at getting a PM - this will be my first one so not looking to spend big £ but looking for a good unit.

I am currently running rotor cranks and Q rings.

I have been looking at the rotor LT which i can get for just over £400. whats peoples thoughts on these ?

Any other options at this sort of money ?

Many thanks.

Comments

• This might be worth a look. Slightly over your budget but should fit onto your existing cranks.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    Depending on which Rotor crank you're running, can you not get a Rotor INPower left arm only to match your right side crank arm?
    With the discounts at Sigma are running at the moment you could get a left sided INPower for £400.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you've never used a power meter before, it's probably better to get a power meter that measures your actual power (e.g. Power2max, Quarq, Rotor R/L Inpower) instead of one that measures left leg power only, doubles it and hopes for the best (e.g. Stages, Inpower Lt). You may be perfectly symmetric or your pedalling symmetry may be all over the place. If the latter then you may as well just use Strava power guessing over a left only power meter.
    More problems but still living....
  • If you've never used a power meter before, it's probably better to get a power meter that measures your actual power (e.g. Power2max, Quarq, Rotor R/L Inpower) instead of one that measures left leg power only, doubles it and hopes for the best (e.g. Stages, Inpower Lt). You may be perfectly symmetric or your pedalling symmetry may be all over the place. If the latter then you may as well just use Strava power guessing over a left only power meter.
    I get what your saying but the numbers don't really matter provided the way you are getting them is consistent does it?
  • If you've never used a power meter before, it's probably better to get a power meter that measures your actual power (e.g. Power2max, Quarq, Rotor R/L Inpower) instead of one that measures left leg power only, doubles it and hopes for the best (e.g. Stages, Inpower Lt). You may be perfectly symmetric or your pedalling symmetry may be all over the place. If the latter then you may as well just use Strava power guessing over a left only power meter.
    I get what your saying but the numbers don't really matter provided the way you are getting them is consistent does it?
    Pedalling asymmetry is normal, and variable pedalling asymmetry is normal.
  • Wow thanks for all the replies, it is certainly complicated and I had read about the Left only vs both arguments before and it seemed only to muddy the waters.

My cranks are rotor 3d+ if that helps.

The main reason for wanting a PM if this helps also is to plan for January when the interval training and indeed other training ( above z2) starts and I am lead to believe this is much more productive with a PM

In relation to the power2max that converts to about £480 and says it fits a 3d+ so that could be a better option than a left sided rotor like this ? Is the power2max a better unit ?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Rotor/3Dand43-Power-LT-Crankset/3RST?gclid=CKy4mfuMtMkCFSQTwwodm78Flg&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you've never used a power meter before, it's probably better to get a power meter that measures your actual power (e.g. Power2max, Quarq, Rotor R/L Inpower) instead of one that measures left leg power only, doubles it and hopes for the best (e.g. Stages, Inpower Lt). You may be perfectly symmetric or your pedalling symmetry may be all over the place. If the latter then you may as well just use Strava power guessing over a left only power meter.

Well I guess it doesn't until you change power meter, then all that data from the power guessometer becomes questionable.
    More problems but still living....
  • P2M would be ideal - especially as you already have the cranks.

Read dcrainmaker's 2015 PM guide and his P2M s-type review.
    But I guarantee your conclusion will be to get a P2M Spider.

By all accounts hugely reliable & the best value - especially as you have the cranks already!