SRAM Wireless shifters.

MiniMalts
MiniMalts Posts: 266
edited December 2015 in Road general
If I'm reading this correctly you have to upgrade to SRAM crankset, bottom bracket, chain and cassette etc. Why? Surely they would work with any chain and cassette etc?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/sram-red-etap-wireless-groupset-unveiled-188162

Comments

• Nah. At the end it talks about using it with existing red. So will work with force and rival. Limited to 28t though I understand
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Nah. At the end it talks about using it with existing red. So will work with force and rival. Limited to 28t though I understand

I'm still new to this, So if I wanted to fit this to my Ridgeback, or a touring bike I'm planning to buy it will work with standard components that are already fitted but limited to 28t. What is 28t?
  • "However if you want to upgrade your existing SRAM Red groupset, then you can just buy the electronic bits and pieces for £1,180.
    Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/sram-red-etap-wireless-groupset-unveiled-188162#3ySYmvZT5oDiJkje.99"

I'd like to just buy the electronic bits and pieces and for it to work with my Shimano equipped bike. A grand I could justify if fitting it to a touring bike that comes equipped with Shimano, but to have to spend a further grand on SRAM Red groupset means the bike is getting rather expensive.

A chain is a chain, why change that? The cassette I could understand, but crank and bottom bracket? :?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I believe they will be selling them as separate items,minimum would probably be levers and rear mech.But, I want even less, just the rear mech and a couple of TT buttons would do me.

I also want to use them with an 11-36 cassette, which should be possible with one of those rear mech hanger extenders... see what happens.
  • I believe they will be selling them as separate items,minimum would probably be levers and rear mech.But, I want even less, just the rear mech and a couple of TT buttons would do me.

I also want to use them with an 11-36 cassette, which should be possible with one of those rear mech hanger extenders... see what happens.

Yep, rear mech and buttons for me would be ideal.

Any idea why it seems to say it will only work with SRAM red chain and cassette etc? :?
  • I believe they will be selling them as separate items,minimum would probably be levers and rear mech.But, I want even less, just the rear mech and a couple of TT buttons would do me.

Any idea why it seems to say it will only work with SRAM red chain and cassette etc? :?

Where does it say that?

Where does it say that?

It doesn't. It's what we are hoping might happen but is probably wishful thinking. There are probably hundreds of cyclists out there hoping it will work with their existing chain and cassette etc without having to spend a further grand on all SRAM Red stuff but that's probably wishful thinking too. Who knows, perhaps someone more experienced might be able to explain why it work with say a Shimano set up?
  • But sram cassettes and Shimano chains in 22 speed are all but identical?
  • But sram cassettes and Shimano chains in 22 speed are all but identical?

Even though I'm a noob that's what I thought but the article I linked too in the first post infers that you need complete SRAM Red set-up..
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I'm still new to this, So if I wanted to fit this to my Ridgeback, or a touring bike I'm planning to buy it will work with standard components that are already fitted but limited to 28t. What is 28t?

Any Shimano chain and cassette will work as long as they are both 11 speed and the largest cog on the cassette is no bigger than 28t.
    "However if you want to upgrade your existing SRAM Red groupset, then you can just buy the electronic bits and pieces for £1,180.
    Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/sram-red-etap-wireless-groupset-unveiled-188162#3ySYmvZT5oDiJkje.99"

I'd like to just buy the electronic bits and pieces and for it to work with my Shimano equipped bike. A grand I could justify if fitting it to a touring bike that comes equipped with Shimano, but to have to spend a further grand on SRAM Red groupset means the bike is getting rather expensive.

A chain is a chain, why change that? The cassette I could understand, but crank and bottom bracket?

''if you want to'' doesn't mean ''you have to''. It means ''if you would like to''

You can mix components. Plenty of people have mixed and matched different branded parts with Shimano Di2 without issues. Sram etap is functionally identical only without wires. It will be fine.

an 11 speed chainset is optimal but any 10 speed chainset will *probably* work fine also.

Triple chainsets will not be compatible.
  • I'm still new to this, So if I wanted to fit this to my Ridgeback, or a touring bike I'm planning to buy it will work with standard components that are already fitted but limited to 28t. What is 28t?

Any Shimano chain and cassette will work as long as they are both 11 speed and the largest cog on the cassette is no bigger than 28t.
    "However if you want to upgrade your existing SRAM Red groupset, then you can just buy the electronic bits and pieces for £1,180.

A chain is a chain, why change that? The cassette I could understand, but crank and bottom bracket?

''if you want to'' doesn't mean ''you have to''. It means ''if you would like to''

You can mix components. Plenty of people have mixed and matched different branded parts with Shimano Di2 without issues. Sram etap is functionally identical only without wires. It will be fine.

an 11 speed chainset is optimal but any 10 speed chainset will *probably* work fine also.

Triple chainsets will not be compatible.

By 10/11 speed you mean the amount of cogs on the cassette?

Triple chainset means 3 cogs at the front?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Ok, so I've just had a pretty major SRAM failure but do people trust this? I'm currently contemplating replacing my SRAM Red/Force with Ultegra because I'm fed up of having to tune stuff after every ride

It would be the third time I ve replaced a troublesome SRAM group with Shimano Ultegra or XT and then never had to touch the shimano again

I really really want to like SRAM, they just keep letting me down. I feel like I'm in some abusive relationship...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    By 10/11 speed you mean the amount of cogs on the cassette?

Triple chainset means 3 cogs at the front?

Yes 11 speed refers to the amount of cogs on the cassette. Sram etap is 11 speed. And will only work with an 11 speed chain and casssette. Not 10 speed or any lower.

The spacing (gap) between the big and small front chainrings is marginally closer on an 11 speed chainset than on a 10 speed chainset. Because an 11 speed chain is slightly narrower than a 10 speed chain.
    However if you have a 10 speed chainset it should work ok (in an 11 speed setup). The gap difference isn't big enough to cause any huge problems. Shifting between the chainrings might feel abit slower.

a triple chainset (3 chainrings at the front) is sometimes found on touring bikes.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Ok, so I've just had a pretty major SRAM failure but do people trust this? I'm currently contemplating replacing my SRAM Red/Force with Ultegra because I'm fed up of having to tune stuff after every ride

It would be the third time I ve replaced a troublesome SRAM group with Shimano Ultegra or XT and then never had to touch the shimano again

I really really want to like SRAM, they just keep letting me down. I feel like I'm in some abusive relationship...

I'm the opposite. Have been using SRAM now for the last seven years. Have Red, Rival and Apex. Once fitted and tuned in, I don't have to touch again until something wears out or the cables stretch.
  • ddraver
    Well.....WTF!!
    - @ddraver
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Well.....WTF!!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the major SRAM failure?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    will the SRAM Etap work on my 12-29 Campag setup. I know it says 28t, will have to wait and try it I guess

Just bought a new bike with 32T. :(

Ah well, I'm sure it might be possible in future incarnations.

Then just change to a smaller cassette, not a big £ extra.

If you've got an 11-speed SRAM or Shimano groupset on your bike already then all you'd need is the eTap shifters and front/rear mech (and maybe some extra shift buttons) to upgrade your current bike. If you're on 10-speed then you'd need a new cassette too. Older 10-speed chainrings *should* work fine.

All the articles/advertorials mention upgrading from SRAM Red because they want you to think you need to buy the extra Red groupset stuff too and spend more money, obviously. ;-)
  • MiniMalts
    MiniMalts Posts: 266
    edited November 2015
    Nah. At the end it talks about using it with existing red. So will work with force and rival. Limited to 28t though I understand

Then just change to a smaller cassette, not a big £ extra.

I only have two rings at the front though (as opposed to 3 on my Ridgeback Speed) so and there are a few occasions when being 21 stone on some hills I need that small ring, without it, I need the 'slacker' gears at the back...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Well.....WTF!!

cack handedness?
  • ddraver
    Well.....WTF!!

cack handedness?

Ooooh, this is going to be sweet....

@ 6 wheels

Get a loada this -
    23429645425_9d32d7f147_k.jpg
    23429641365_e3730a2981_k.jpg

It felt like I had something between my shoe and cleat , partially because I was struggling to unclip (I guess as the pedal was rotating too). Then we did the flipping Haaghoek, then on the 'berg afterwards i stood up and it failed. Dumped me on the ground like a sack of sugar it did....

Wiggle will warranty it and everything, but I'm not sure I really trust it now, plus to be hoinest if they refund me, that ll be 250 Euro, and I ve just bought a full ultegra group in a Black Friday Sale (eurgh)for 500...

The bike sounded like a bag of spanners for the few weeks and everything is a bit worn, so it was just a no-brainer (the rest of the group was 10spd Force, not Red)

@Garry

Chow down
    fabfee210e78fadea653daaac8fcf3c4.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    You must have over tightened the pedals ;)
  • ddraver
    touche :P
    - @ddraver
  • You used carbon in the wet? That's your delamination reason right there ;)
  • So do you think wireless will ever be seen in the pros? I can see a few potential problems. I realise there will be encrypted codes like car remotes but in a group of 200 odd riders there must be a chance of interference. Plus I see in the future an iPhone app that allows you to remote monitor what gear a rider is in. Might make those surprise attacks a bit less of a surprise if every time you change gear an alarm goes off on someone else's bike.

Yes it will. And, if SRAM are to be believed, AIREA is very secure. I'm not sure reacting to a phone alarm telling you Bertie has gone off on a sprint is any better than seeing him do it.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    It already has been used in pro races...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I think SRAm stuff is generally pretty poor in terms of quality compared with the other 2 brands competing at the "pro" level. their shifter are plasticky, their BB's and other parts don't tend to last long... at all.

however this setup has me intrigued. I'd only go for the shifters and mechs. as I know already you can get Rotor/force/ ultegra working together. I have a rotor chainset, force 11/26 cassette and ultegra mechs and other bits, with a kmc chain.

if SRAM did these 4 bits for £600 retail they'd fly off the shelves. left/right shifter, Front mech, Rear mech. if you have an existing 11 speed setup it should be pretty easy to get working.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    So do you think wireless will ever be seen in the pros? I can see a few potential problems. I realise there will be encrypted codes like car remotes but in a group of 200 odd riders there must be a chance of interference. Plus I see in the future an iPhone app that allows you to remote monitor what gear a rider is in. Might make those surprise attacks a bit less of a surprise if every time you change gear an alarm goes off on someone else's bike.

Yes it will. And, if SRAM are to be believed, AIREA is very secure. I'm not sure reacting to a phone alarm telling you Bertie has gone off on a sprint is any better than seeing him do it.
    It's much better if you hear the alarm as he takes off from 5m behind you as you know he's coming so you react before he passes you. AIREA might be secure now but no one has tried to hack it yet. Nothing is secure if the right people are involved. The reason why I ask about interference is that I ride with two guys who have Garmins that read each others cadence sensors which I found kind of surprising.

If they wear tin foil hats, they can't be hacked.

I'm sure if they really wanted to do this, they'd have hacked the powermeters years ago.
  • If you've got an 11-speed SRAM or Shimano groupset on your bike already then all you'd need is the eTap shifters and front/rear mech (and maybe some extra shift buttons) to upgrade your current bike. If you're on 10-speed then you'd need a new cassette too. Older 10-speed chainrings *should* work fine.

Of course add to that an 11 speed compatible hub which for many (me) would mean new wheels, and a new chain too, although that's not a big expense compared to the rest of it.

Any idea how much the shifters & front/rear mechs cost on their own?