Voodoo Marasa

Jordan611
Jordan611 Posts: 8
edited December 2015 in The workshop
Hi,
just wondering because the Voodoo Marasa has 700c wheels which are 29 inch (I believe?) would I be able to upgrade these to proper 29 inch mountain bike wheels instead of the skinny road wheels? I'm getting it cheap at £50 with hydraulic brakes, 24 gears etc so was just wondering if i could do this or was i best off just putting some 26 inch wheels on? I'd rather have 29 though. thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Great bike and that is a give away price (£120-140 is usual).

The wheels are MTB wheels, you can put 29er MTB tyres straight on, no need to change wheels at all, they are the same wheels fitted to many 29er MTB's produced by Merida (who build Carrera, Voodoo, Boardman and Specialized bikes amongst many other brands). In fact the Marasa is more a rigid 29er MTB running Hybrid tyres than a 'proper road' Hybrid.

26" wheels would be a bad idea, the pedals would be very close to the ground! (1.25" closer!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Great bike and that is a give away price (£120-140 is usual).

The wheels are MTB wheels, you can put 29er MTB tyres straight on, no need to change wheels at all, they are the same wheels fitted to many 29er MTB's produced by Merida (who build Carrera, Voodoo, Boardman and Specialized bikes amongst many other brands). In fact the Marasa is more a rigid 29er MTB running Hybrid tyres than a 'proper road' Hybrid.

26" wheels would be a bad idea, the pedals would be very close to the ground! (1.25" closer!)
    Yeah it just needs the brakes bleeding which I can do anyway, giving him £50 and some DMR rigid jump bike forks worth about £10 thanks mate, thinking of buying some 29ers for it then
  • The Rookie
    If its still on the original 50mm tyres there is probably no need for new tubes either (they will inflate over nominal size OK).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If its still on the original 50mm tyres there is probably no need for new tubes either (they will inflate over nominal size OK).
    alright i think it is on original tyres mate
  • If its still on the original 50mm tyres there is probably no need for new tubes either (they will inflate over nominal size OK).
    alright i think it is on original tyres mate
    think i'm gonna leave it on the 700c wheels, i want the thickest tyres possible they're currently 700cx45c what can people recommend?
  • The Rookie
    What sort of riding?

For road and a fatter tyre something like a Schwalbe Kojak 29er, for some light off road the Kenda small block 8, for proper off road it depends on the details!
  • You can fit 29x2.2 on there if you really want - tried with Conti Race Kings and Mountain Kings