Scot scale sizing (27.5 version)

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Apologies to people who read other forums as I've bombarded the Internet with this question due to my ocd pre-buying over thinking :oops: :lol:

I am between 5'7 and 5'8,right on the middle between small and medium on the frame size of a 27.5 scale. I've tried a medium, not been able to try a small (only buying a frame). Therefore keen to hear from anyone my sort of height who has a scale and what size they went for. Cheers 8)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the medium was too big get a small.

If it was right, get a medium.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    The medium was fine - as far as I could tell from riding around the streets. Doesn't mean to say the small wouldn't be better. Hence the question
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Height is less relevant than reach and inside leg. And what feels good.
    And no one cal tell you over the internet what feels good.

What was the consensus of all the other bombarded sites?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Minimal consensus, but i spent a bit more time on a medium and am sure it is right :-)
  • I'm 5.7 I've just got a Scott scale in a size small fits me perfect I've also got a boardman ht pro in a size medium and it OK but it feel a tiny bit to big
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its usually better to size down than to size up.

If the Medium you tried had an offset seatpost you can shorten the cockpit using an inline, likewise if you get a small and its too short with an inline fit an offset, typical offset is 20mm which is the ETT difference between sizes usually, sliding the saddle then makes up the difference!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    fwiw - i ordered medium and switched the stock 80mm stem for 70mm. saddle in kops position and from the few rides i've done so far it feels perfect. :-)