Can this be right?

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited November 2015 in The cake stop
I m asking this question on both a " Is it correct " and " Is this really the right thing to be doing?"

I heard today on the news following reports of George Osbourne's review on National Spending the following:

" As spending on Foreign Aid is ring fenced, it has now grown to a point were by it has a greater budget than the Home Office "

If this is true? How can it be right? Austerity cuts to front line services Such as the Police, Fire Service. Prison Service and God knows what else Continue apace, but there remains a Year on Year Increase in spending on Foreign Aid.

The only possible justification is , that its reverse thinking, And if we spend more money trying to Stabilise situations overseas, there might be less impoverished and disenfranchised people in the World who want to attack us.

But surely / Hopefully we are not pouring this money into areas which foster our enemies.

I m sorry it might be short sightedness on my behalf , but I find this hard to believe, Surely Charity begins at Home.

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The other possible justification is being human and looking after countries who really are impoverished. (Often due to Western policies).
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Foreign aid accounts for about 1.4% of the UK governments total budget.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I seem to recall we give a large chunk of cash to India (£250 million per year, committed through to 2019)...and earlier this year they spent a huge chunk of cash ($25B ) on some brand spanking new fighter jets from Russia. Great VFM for the British taxpayer! Personally, I would cancel all overseas aid as it is a misnomer; it is really just buying political favour in places we have a vested interest...and yes, charity does begin at home.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    it is really just buying political favour in places we have a vested interest

Well, there ye go, eh? Who would have thought? :?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    The other possible justification is being human and looking after countries who really are impoverished. (Often due to Western policies).

Yep , that's the way I consolidate it. I d be a bit happier though if every kid turning up to school tomorrow in the UK had a decent breakfast. But on a scale of World Problems, Being able to go to School in the first place is an advantage.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    it is really just buying political favour in places we have a vested interest

Well, there ye go, eh? Who would have thought? :?

Plenty of good is done with the money, anti malaria treatments, immunisations, primary education but im also sure some is wasted too, not sure why 40% of the budget goes to the UN and simialr bodies, Gov is using the F aid budget to fund the 20k Syrians coming here, so you ll get your wish :lol:

India may well run a space programe but because of its caste system, whole regions and peoples get nothing from the state and live in poverty, anyhow uk is winding down aid to them.