Which tyres for slippery winter commutes

beancounter
beancounter Posts: 369
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
I commute on a Colnago CX bike currently on Vittoria Randonneur tyres

I have two spare sets of wheels, one of which has a set of knobbly cx tyres and the other has a set of Schwalbe Winter studded tyres (the lightly studded ones)

My question is which wheels/tyres to use this coming winter when conditions are either frosty or snowy or icy and I cannot be sure which roads/cycle paths have been treated. I would swap wheels/tyres on a daily basis if necessary (only takes a minute)

Also what tyre pressures to use for each set

Any advice from regular winter commuters much appreciated!

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If it's rained or been wet in the evening followed by a clear night - then take the studded tyres - I've abandoned one commute after one such night when (on the main road) my rear wheel slipped 3 times ...

That said - I've also ridden back with bog standard semi-slick CX tyres on ice/snow - I did drop the saddle a bit and it did take a bit longer than usual... but the roads were reasonably clear because the cars couldn't make it up the hill! :)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Personally I cba to change tyres regularly, and I don't really feel like it justifies buying a new wheelset (including cassette), so I've regularly kept studded tyres on all winter. They run fine on bare tarmac, the grip is roughly the same as rubber on a wet road and they're just a bit noisy - of course the studs do wear out like this: you can actually replace them.
    The bottom line is that only studded tyres really grip on ice - rubber tyres really don't, not even the chunkiest mtb tyres. Depending on what your roads are like - how often gritted, rural / urban, climate etc - you may get by just by being careful when you know the conditions are bad, but if you want to ride on ice, use studs or practise falling.
  • 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Yeah. But only when really cold and icy
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.

What pressure do you use?

Thanks
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Personally I cba to change tyres regularly, and I don't really feel like it justifies buying a new wheelset (including cassette), so I've regularly kept studded tyres on all winter. They run fine on bare tarmac, the grip is roughly the same as rubber on a wet road and they're just a bit noisy - of course the studs do wear out like this: you can actually replace them.
    The bottom line is that only studded tyres really grip on ice - rubber tyres really don't, not even the chunkiest mtb tyres. Depending on what your roads are like - how often gritted, rural / urban, climate etc - you may get by just by being careful when you know the conditions are bad, but if you want to ride on ice, use studs or practise falling.

Same here - we had snow on Monday, and ground frost this morning. Although forecast is for it to be a bit warmer for the next week or so, winter studs went on last weekend, and will stay on now until spring when the frosts stop.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yep, first heavy frost of the winter (on a day where I've been commuting - not overall) here this morning - as in full on sparkly roads and frozen puddles. I'll need to get the studs out, the only problem is that the Rusty Raleigh has now officially bitten the dust, or at least rust, so I'll need a new bike to put them on! Bummer, but a man's got to do..

What pressure do you use?

Thanks

During the winter I use my Giant MTB to commute with the Schwalbe studded winter tyre as above. The tyre wall states a minimum of 60 maximum of 70 psi so I simply aim for middle of 65 psi.

The commute is currently 50/50 road & through a park where the paths are never gritted (at least not until the parkies have had their morning cuppas) & these tyres are great.

Having said all of that, it hasn't been icy enough up here yet, but they say we're about to get the worst winter in history (didn't they say that last year as well?)
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Having said all of that, it hasn't been icy enough up here yet, but they say we're about to get the worst winter in history (didn't they say that last year as well?)

Pretty sure they say that every year! :lol:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava