Wheel issue

jon3619
jon3619 Posts: 75
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I have a slight problem, I got a puncture which was a total blowout (tyre deflated in about 1 min) I took it to a bike shop who did some wheel truing and repaired the puncture, I took it home then went for a ride and straight away the wheel blew out again. I took it back and he couldn't find any reason for it? He checked inside the rim and replaced the inner tube again. I got the wheel home and once again its totally flat? What could be causing this? It seems to be connected to inflating the wheel quite alot as when it's not totally inflated it seems OK?

Regards

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look at the tube. What sort of puncture is it, and where.
    From there you can judge if it's something in the tyre, like glass or a thorn, something in the rim - spoke or something. Or valve hole.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Have a look at the tube. What sort of puncture is it, and where.
    From there you can judge if it's something in the tyre, like glass or a thorn, something in the rim - spoke or something. Or valve hole.

I replaced a tube out on the trail without checking the inside of the tyre... popped again within minutes. Easily done.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • So I took it today to a different shop, he couldn't see anything wrong either So he replaceed the tyre thinking something is there which cannot be seen.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You really need to be able to fix punctures for yourself.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I do know how, it's just I'm working long hours and don't have time
  • Isn't it more hassle to go to a shop and basically get robbed of money and time when it is a 15 mins job to look at the tube, see where the hole is and trace it back to where that is on the tyre.
  • Not really no, but then everyones situation is different.
  • Fair enough. But you've had 2 tubes (fitted in LBS about £20) and tyre close to rrp will be about £30 and 2 trips which I can't see taking less than 45 mins a piece. Correct me if any of this is stretching the truth a bit. Or a bit of nouse and a £1 repair kit and 15 mins.

I'd say very different situations
  • I paid £5 for the initial puncture and £10 for wheel truing. The rest was done free out of good will. My local bike shop is about 10 mins away. What relevance does this have to my question? I came for advice not a lecture
  • But you took it to a second bike shop and they gave you a tyre?

You got the correct advice from cooldad in the first response. You then took it to an incompetent pro when you say you're capable. Seems not.
  • OK back onto the topic. Did the new tyre fix the problem?
    Stay positive people :)
  • Any hole that deflates the tyre in less than a minute is easy to find.
    Once found you then know if it is tyre side or rim side and exactly where it is.
    Fix problem and replace tube.
    Incompetence all round.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    It sounds like something made it through the casing, glass/thorns etc. If you had a blowout or pinch puncture it would have deflated in a couple of seconds and usually with a bang. Reason it went down the second time is because you failed to find what caused the initial puncture. As Rightarmbad has pointed out anything causing the tyre to deflate in under a minute will be very easy to find.

Without wanting to sound patronising, Cooldad was right in that you need to know how to fix/find punctures for yourself. Its basic knowledge, takes 10 minutes max and will save you a walk home when your stuck on the trail side. If your local bike shop is 10 minutes away then you have a 30 minute round trip, so if time is of the essence it must be more efficient to learn rather than pay someone to sort it for you.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    It sounds like something made it through the casing, glass/thorns etc. If you had a blowout or pinch puncture it would have deflated in a couple of seconds and usually with a bang. Reason it went down the second time is because you failed to find what caused the initial puncture. As Rightarmbad has pointed out anything causing the tyre to deflate in under a minute will be very easy to find. Putting a new tube in without finding the cause is daft, as you found out.

Without wanting to sound patronising, Cooldad was right in that you need to know how to fix/find punctures for yourself. Its basic knowledge, takes 10 minutes max and will save you a walk home when your stuck on the trail side. If your local bike shop is 10 minutes away then you have a 30 minute round trip, so if time is of the essence it must be more efficient to learn rather than pay someone to sort it for you.

I think people are being a bit harsh here ! They are of course correct in that its a straight forward operation, but some folk like to pay others to do their menial jobs. Hence the proliferation of window cleaners, car valets , gardeners and the like. You could just as easily be rallying against paying someone to cut the grass and do a bit of weeding. How the guy wishes to spend his disposable income is rather up to him. In fact if everyone did these sorts of jobs themselves the economy would be in even worse shape than it is now. So in his own way he is helping us all to be a little better off
  • JodyP
    My post was about time taken to do such a repair and not the cost of someone doing a "menial" job for them. The OP says he is very time limited but takes 3 times longer to drop his bike off (x2) than carry out a repair.

Causes of puncture will be in post 2 by CD. It's either a pinch puncture, valve/spoke hole rub or something stuck in the tyre. The OP has a new tyre now and the LBS has ruled out any problems with the rim.
  • brianbee
    My post was about time taken to do such a repair and not the cost of someone doing a "menial" job for them. The OP says he is very time limited but takes 3 times longer to drop his bike off (x2) than carry out a repair.

Causes of puncture will be in post 2 by CD. It's either a pinch puncture, valve/spoke hole rub or something stuck in the tyre. The OP has a new tyre now and the LBS has ruled out any problems with the rim.

Well not necessarily, How long it takes you to do it, has little bearing on how long it would take him to do the same job ! plus if he has to go and buy a new tube( or a repair kit), it would seem to be quicker to get the guy in the shop to do it ?
  • I can't believe it's taken this long before anyone has said "go tubeless"!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JodyP
    Well not necessarily, How long it takes you to do it, has little bearing on how long it would take him to do the same job ! plus if he has to go and buy a new tube( or a repair kit), it would seem to be quicker to get the guy in the shop to do it ?

OK, you're right. Punctures are tough to fix and patches are expensive. Take it to the shop and keep the British economy alive! :roll:
  • brianbee

OK, you're right. Punctures are tough to fix and patches are expensive. Take it to the shop and keep the British economy alive! :roll:

Its not what I do. I make the mistake of trying to do EVERY thing myself. I bought a welder and spent ages teaching my self to weld to save 40 quid for a patch on the floor of a fiesta.

But its the derision being thrown at the guy for choosing to use a ''professional'' rather than mess about with it himself that the problem here

his money /his time. non of you business how he chooses to spend either of them, certainly not to the point of insulting him over it
  • JodyP
    [quote="brianbeehis money /his time. non of you business how he chooses to spend either of them, certainly not to the point of insulting him over it[/quote]

Insult?

Anyway, as you say leave it to the pro's (who haven't fixed it in the first two attempts) :roll:

I'm not going round in circles, so peace out Brian!
  • brianbee
    [quote="brianbeehis money /his time. non of you business how he chooses to spend either of them, certainly not to the point of insulting him over it

Insult?

Anyway, as you say leave it to the pro's (who haven't fixed it in the first two attempts) :roll:

![/quote]

Again, not everyone wants or needs to mess about with things mechanical.

My local garage earns a good living charging 120 quid ago for changing oil, oil filter and air filter, something anyone with basic knowledge could do themselves. Are you condemning all folks who don't want to mess about with cars as well
  • He said he could. It's a phucking puncture easy to sort within an hour, and if you can't you're gonna be a bit phucked on the trails. Not much relevance to anything else on a bike or car for that matter Brian, it's a puncture. Bike 101.
  • brianbee
    He said he could. It's a phucking puncture easy to sort within an hour, and if you can't you're gonna be a bit phucked on the trails. Not much relevance to anything else on a bike or car for that matter Brian, it's a puncture. Bike 101.

its a simple task using tools, it directly comparable to any other simple task that requires tools. its more complex than bleeding a radiator, more complicated than replacing a roof slate, a lot more complicated than cleaning a window or weeding a garden, about the same as changing oil and filter but not as difficult as papering a ceiling
  • He said he could. So you're flogging a dead horse again.
  • brianbee
    He said he could. So you're flogging a dead horse again.

He did, but then he chose not to, which is his right in a democracy and not something he should be ridiculed for.

I pay a local car wash to clean my car, he doesn't do it as well as I would, but hell why would I go messing about slopping water about, when he will do it for a fiver and I can sit there with a free coffee watching him ?

Dont you pay anyone to do anything you could do yourself. ? like getting a take away instead of getting the WOK out
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The point is though surely that two pro's have presumably done exactly as requested and changed the tube, they haven't spent the time and care on determining the root cause, hence the repeat punctures......care is something an owner usually has more of!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brianbee
    .....care is something an owner usually has more of!

That may well be true in your case, but I dont think it stands as a general statement, considering the number of dangerous bodge ups Ive seen perpetrated by owners. Thats owners of cars, houses, bicycles, you name it

The guy had a short run off bad luck, that's not really cause to dam all professionals as slap dash
  • You are very painful.
  • JodyP
    Brians here :roll:

People are offering genuine advice to the OP without throwing in anecdotes about welders, car washes and oil filters.

Do you have anything to add to the OP's query or is it just about playing devils advocate?

Lets get this thread back on track. Can we have your thoughts on the OP's problem?
  • brianbee
    Brians here :roll:

People are offering genuine advice to the OP ?

yes some are. other are ridiculing him for paying a pro to fix his puncture. . Does derision count as genuine advice ?

The OP seems to have gone, which is not surprising after some of the remarks