What chain ring??

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, have searched but couldn't find a definite answer

I want to change my Shimano Deore triple to a double by removing the outer chainring and replacing the middle chain ring.

What type of chainring do I need? Would it be just a standard ring or do I need to get one with shift ramps etc? I've seen standard 36T anodised rings (not narrow wide) but will it still shift ok??

Hope that makes sense! Thanks :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick with ramps, you still want to change gear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Stick with ramps, you still want to change gear.

Do they make anodised/coloured rings with ramps or am I stuck with the pressed steel naff looking Shimano ones????
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I assume so, but I've but I've never really got emotionally involved with a chain ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    I assume so, but I've but I've never really got emotionally involved with a chain ring.

Everyone loves a bit of bike bling!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    JGTR wrote:
    What type of chainring do I need? Would it be just a standard ring or do I need to get one with shift ramps etc?
    If you still want to change gear you'll need one with shift ramps. IME Shimano are the best & if you're looking for bling you might be able to find one of the older Saint double rings I had one up until last year it looked pretty good for a chain ring.
    JGTR wrote:
    I've seen standard 36T anodised rings (not narrow wide) but will it still shift ok??
    Those rings are for single-ring setups with a chain guide.

HTH
  • JGTR
    JGTR wrote:
    What type of chainring do I need? Would it be just a standard ring or do I need to get one with shift ramps etc?
    If you still want to change gear you'll need one with shift ramps. IME Shimano are the best & if you're looking for bling you might be able to find one of the older Saint double rings I had one up until last year it looked pretty good for a chain ring.
    JGTR wrote:
    I've seen standard 36T anodised rings (not narrow wide) but will it still shift ok??
    Those rings are for single-ring setups with a chain guide.

HTH

Cheers, I went with replacing the outer ring with a bash guard, not much weight saving but looks a bit better without the massive chainring which I rarely used, should give a bit more ground clearance.