Giant Bike Frame Warranty

jfrankland1991
jfrankland1991 Posts: 100
edited November 2015 in Road general
Hi guys and gals,

Please bear with me, some advice would be much appreciated.

About a month ago I found a crack in the frame of my Giant Defy 1 2015 on the top tube near to where it connects with the seatpost tube. After sending photos off via Wheelies (the bike shop I received my bike from) I was granted a replacement frame which I was under the assumption that a direct replacement would be provided.

I've just had my bike returned today and found that the frame is not a direct replacement, yes the frame is a Giant defy frame but it appears to look much like the Defy 2 2015, a garish silver and black compared to the black, white and blue of the Defy 1.

Has anyone had experience of a warranty claim with Giant and do you know if an exact replacement is possible or maybe a different frame as the colour scheme of the one I've been given is not one I would choose. Forgive me but the colour scheme of the bike is rather important.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Hi guys and gals,

Please bear with me, some advice would be much appreciated.

About a month ago I found a crack in the frame of my Giant Defy 1 2015 on the top tube near to where it connects with the seatpost tube. After sending photos off via Wheelies (the bike shop I received my bike from) I was granted a replacement frame which I was under the assumption that a direct replacement would be provided.

I've just had my bike returned today and found that the frame is not a direct replacement, yes the frame is a Giant defy frame but it appears to look much like the Defy 2 2015, a garish silver and black compared to the black, white and blue of the Defy 1.

Has anyone had experience of a warranty claim with Giant and do you know if an exact replacement is possible or maybe a different frame as the colour scheme of the one I've been given is not one I would choose. Forgive me but the colour scheme of the bike is rather important.

Cheers in advance.

Have you been in contact with the shop/supplier to explain your position? They are not psychic. Did you tell them that colour was important?
  • Yes I have been in contact with Wheelies who are looking into it. I didn't initially say that colour was important as I was under the impression throughout the process that I would get a direct frame replacement, so naturally I expected to get an exact replacement.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    If I make a warranty claim - will I receive the same frame?

Giant will endeavour to replace like for like but cannot always guarantee we will be able to replace with the exact frame in its original colour way. Giant will of course replace with the best available option to the same specification or better but this does mean from time to time that colour ways may differ form the original.
  • If I make a warranty claim - will I receive the same frame?

Giant will endeavour to replace like for like but cannot always guarantee we will be able to replace with the exact frame in its original colour way. Giant will of course replace with the best available option to the same specification or better but this does mean from time to time that colour ways may differ form the original.

Yeah I saw that one their website but to me replacing it with a frame off the Defy 2 doesn't follow that criteria in my opinion. It would be nice to have a choice on what frame I was going to get or at least be notified, now I'm stuck with something I would never go out and buy for something that was never my fault in the first place!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    It is the same frame on all the alu Defys isn't it? Just different colour schemes.
  • If I make a warranty claim - will I receive the same frame?

Yeah I saw that one their website but to me replacing it with a frame off the Defy 2 doesn't follow that criteria in my opinion. It would be nice to have a choice on what frame I was going to get or at least be notified, now I'm stuck with something I would never go out and buy for something that was never my fault in the first place!
    Is it the same frame in a different colour, or a different frame?
  • It is the same aluminium frame across the whole Defy range but just a different colour scheme, doesnt hide the fact if I try to sell it in the future it is a Defy 2 frame not a Defy 1 as originally bought so could potentially shave money off the selling on price, most annoying thing was I was never notified until the bike turned up on my doorstep
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    The Defy frame spec. is not the same across the 2015 range. 0, 1 & 2 are Aluxx SL D Fuse frames, 3, 4, & 5 are Aluxx with a round seat tube/post. I think the problem must be which frame/size Giant have available in their network in the UK as to what you end up with. I do agree though it is very annoying not to have a direct replacement, not sure what you can do about it though, other than telling them that you want a 0 frameset, which is a closer match colour wise.

One thing I find irksome about Giant is that you cannot contact them directly to discuss issues like this. As to your bike being devalued, you would need to explain to any potential buyer that though the bike has had a warranty frame change to that of a Defy 2, the spec of the bike is still that of a Defy 1.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    They should have at least have contacted you and at least explained to you what they were sending or offered a couple of different options or pay some additional ££ and upgrade.

I had a warranty replacement frame from Scott a couple of years ago and they called me and explained they didn't have the exact match to my frame in stock so I could either wait (no idea how long) or I could have a different model (same frame different colour) or pay some more money and upgrade to a better frame.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me especially as one of the emotive factors when we buy our bikes is what colour it is!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • The Defy frame spec. is not the same across the 2015 range. 0, 1 & 2 are Aluxx SL D Fuse frames, 3, 4, & 5 are Aluxx with a round seat tube/post. I think the problem must be which frame/size Giant have available in their network in the UK as to what you end up with. I do agree though it is very annoying not to have a direct replacement, not sure what you can do about it though, other than telling them that you want a 0 frameset, which is a closer match colour wise.

One thing I find irksome about Giant is that you cannot contact them directly to discuss issues like this. As to your bike being devalued, you would need to explain to any potential buyer that though the bike has had a warranty frame change to that of a Defy 2, the spec of the bike is still that of a Defy 1.

It doesn't look like I'll get any further with Wheelies as they've basically said that they've followed the procedure that Giant specify with warranty replacement frames and the people in their contact office at Wheelies never knew it was a different colour scheme firstly because Giant never notified them and their workshop is on a different site, you would have thought some contact is made between them though wouldn't you?!

I've managed to get a number to contact Giant directly and they have a warranty team you can get to so I'll follow it up with them, don't know why they dont advertise this number of their website, got it off my LBS
  • They should have at least have contacted you and at least explained to you what they were sending or offered a couple of different options or pay some additional ££ and upgrade.

I had a warranty replacement frame from Scott a couple of years ago and they called me and explained they didn't have the exact match to my frame in stock so I could either wait (no idea how long) or I could have a different model (same frame different colour) or pay some more money and upgrade to a better frame.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me especially as one of the emotive factors when we buy our bikes is what colour it is!

My thoughts entirely, the lack of contact and notifying me that it would be different is the most annoying thing about it all, like you say if they had told me I could have asked about different options or an upgrade as I wouldn't have minded paying if I got what I wanted at the end of the day.

Exactly, with so much choice out there, most likely you'll find plenty of bikes with the spec that you are looking for and then you choose which one looks the best, well that's what I do anyway.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    So can't you say that you reject their resolution to your warranty claim and enter into negotiation.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • So can't you say that you reject their resolution to your warranty claim and enter into negotiation.

I'm not sure, I'm guessing that Wheelies won't budge but I'm yet to take it up directly with Giant yet, if I take Wheelies out of it then I might get a better answer from Giant themselves.
  • So can't you say that you reject their resolution to your warranty claim and enter into negotiation.

I'm not sure, I'm guessing that Wheelies won't budge but I'm yet to take it up directly with Giant yet, if I take Wheelies out of it then I might get a better answer from Giant themselves.

That has been my experience with Giant. It's worth sending them an email. They once offered me a frame through a dealer I previously had no dealings with.
    Let us know the outcome.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...

That has been my experience with Giant. It's worth sending them an email. They once offered me a frame through a dealer I previously had no dealings with.
    Let us know the outcome.

Having spoken to the warranty team at Giant it appears that I am going to have to go through Wheelies as Giant will only deal with a direct request/complaint etc. from Wheelies themselves. Giant seem to say they always notify the customer what the replacement frame will be but this doesnt seem to be the case in this instance, hopefully options of upgrade / difference replacement frame will become available but it doesnt look like I'll get away with not paying anything
  • I had a similar problem with a Giant frame, first one they sent out was the wrong colour then had to wait quite some time for the correct replacement. The difference I'm my case was my LBS dealt with Giant throughout and Alan,one of the owners at SP Cycles(Torm)lent me one of his own bikes until mine was sorted.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I had a similar problem with a Giant frame, first one they sent out was the wrong colour then had to wait quite some time for the correct replacement. The difference I'm my case was my LBS dealt with Giant throughout and Alan,one of the owners at SP Cycles(Torm)lent me one of his own bikes until mine was sorted.
    Now that is customer service.
  • I had a similar problem with a Giant frame, first one they sent out was the wrong colour then had to wait quite some time for the correct replacement. The difference I'm my case was my LBS dealt with Giant throughout and Alan,one of the owners at SP Cycles(Torm)lent me one of his own bikes until mine was sorted.

So you got your original colour frame back then after much deliberation? That's very good customer service, unfortunately I was stuck with Wheelies as the bike was an insurance replacement in the first place!

Got the reply from Giant via Wheelies today - "As we only produce one model frame for replacement for the entire model range of a specific bike per year , (we class these as service frame sets , they come complete with matching forks ) now if we happen to go through a specific years size say a medium 2013 in year 2014 and there are no changes to the frame production the we would supply either the next oldest frame or even the brand new current year version

Now looking into this case on DEFY 1 (frame number GQ406070) , this is a large frame bike in the 2015 service frame was actually this model bikes colour but as we have used all the stock of the large frames in Europe it was replaced with the new 2016 service frame set in a large which is a silver colour

As we don’t have any earlier frame sets and we only produce one colour per year this is the only one available"

Pretty much says that the frame I've been given is the only one that I'm going to get through the warranty as that's their procedure as outline above. The only way forward I think is to have a frame swap or upgrade at my own expense, if anyone else has got any other ideas please share - I would be very grateful of any advice at the moment as it feels like I'm just going round in circles!
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    I had a similar problem with a Giant frame, first one they sent out was the wrong colour then had to wait quite some time for the correct replacement. The difference I'm my case was my LBS dealt with Giant throughout and Alan,one of the owners at SP Cycles(Torm)lent me one of his own bikes until mine was sorted.
    That's why there is a place for us in the world still ! Thanks for your kind words Tony.