Last Film Watched

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Pusher,a drug dealer trying to pay his debts,but keeps getting messed over by everyone,bit of a naff ending but a pretty good film
  • Quite enjoyed Black Mass, even though the missus kept asking who was Johnny Depp

Still haven't finished watching Ant-Man after 4 attempts
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Bitter Lake.
    Available to watch on BBC iPlayer. If you are interested to find out how the world got so f***ed up then this film will give you a few pointers to who the culprits are and the fact that the genie is out of the bottle and they don't know how to stuff it back in.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Spectre

As per previous posts above - ticks all of the required boxes for a Bond film. Gadgets, explosions, car chases, supervillain, henchmen, nods to past films, bond girl, the requisite amount of violence, multiple locations, a bit of dry humour ("now we know what C stands for") suspend your logical brain stunts etc etc. Loved it. And it didn't leave me feeling like it was a 2hr plus film.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    Crimson Peak. Disappointing effort from Guillermo del Toro. Predictable, boring, with a few moments of shock value. One to avoid.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited November 2015
    Sat and watched the BR of 'Man From Uncle' on Friday night. By the time they got to the race circuit, I was ready to switch it off but the Mrs wanted to persist. In the end, I was sort of glad that I watched it all the way through as it got better (as long as you took your brain out for the duration).

As payback for letting her have her way on Friday, I insisted on watching 'The Talented Mr Ripley' on Saturday night as it has been sitting in the PVR for some time. I've seen it before but my wife hadn't and afterwards she had to agreed with me what a brilliant film it was and in a different galaxy from TMFU. Matt Damon is fantastic in his pre-action hero guise and the supporting cast are terrific as well (even those that have had less than stellar careers since!).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • The Lady in the Van.

Excellent. Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings are brilliant, as are Roger Allam and a few of the other luvvies playing, well, Camden luvvies! A great "almost completely" true story told with no pretence by Alan Bennett that his behaviour was particularly charitable or caring, in fact in the "talking heads" (of course there are, it's Alan Bennett FFS!) sections you see and hear quite clearly that it's simply his lack of assertiveness that's put him in this position.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    These days I'm in a mood where I just can't watch the entire movie no matter what. I start watching and before long it starts boring me.

That said, I did sit through the movie where some guy grows potatoes on Mars in 3D. Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Lore

This was on Channel 4 the other night.
    It's the last days of WW2 and some children with prominent SS parents have to make there way across Germany.
    A John Hughes coming of age for the Hitler Youth.

A harrowing tale,great camera work and emotion.

As a side note has anyone else seen the new Channel 4 idents directed by Jonathan Glazer,surreal stuff really liked them.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Wall-e. Always good.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Watched the legend of Barney Thomson last night, black comedy kind of shallow grave/delicatessen vibe, Robert Carlisle directs and stars, behaving like Robert Carlisle only wetter, but Emma Thomson steals the show.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mr_goo
    The Midnight Meat Train - One instinctively knows that viewing options are desperate when you are subjected by your offspring to this Bradley Cooper and Vinnie Jones tripe. Verdict---- Don't.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Bitter Lake.
    Available to watch on BBC iPlayer. If you are interested to find out how the world got so f***ed up then this film will give you a few pointers to who the culprits are and the fact that the genie is out of the bottle and they don't know how to stuff it back in.

I watched this a few days ago after seeing your post,just shows what a complete utter balls up it's been
  • mr_goo
    Bitter Lake.

I watched this a few days ago after seeing your post,just shows what a complete utter balls up it's been

Agreed. It seems that all the leaders in all countries in all the world are duplicitous ar5eh0le5 and have multi layered agendas that have completely backfired and destabilised the world. And for what end? Because it's all ending in tears.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    edited November 2015
    Black Mass. I was looking forward to this and was hoping Depp would redeem himself after a series of flops. He did everything that was asked well but overall I was quite disappointed. I started to wonder why exactly did they cast Benedict Cumberbatch? I see no reason to use an English actor to play an American when an American could do it naturally and would not stick out. He attempted an American accent but couldn't keep the toff from creeping in. Then I started to think he would make a great Dr. Who one day. The dialog was cliched, scenes were cliched shots of money going through counting machines mixed in with newspapers landing on cops desks. The characters had no depth and nothing made them engaging despite their situations. First act was slow, it got better in the middle but seemed to have a very abrupt ending. Donny Brasko is still Depps best mob movie.
  • Whiplash

I didnt know what to expect but I really enjoyed the film. Great acting from JK Simmons. Super ending
    Token love interest, a bit of family tension but it was really just about the intercation between the 2 main starts
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    Just saw Nordwand, a german movie about pre-war climbers conquering the north face of the Eiger in the Schweiz. Being a fan of hiking and climbing, I'm quite fond of these kinds of movies, but they just have to make them full of suspense and tragedy. I guess they don't stick otherwise. Good movie though, for what it is. Something different.

Also went to see the Hanks/Spielberg combo in The Bridge of Spies. They're hyping it up nicely, but in the end it's a lot of talking and not a lot else in it. A slow-paced lawyers movie, if anything.
  • Road to perdition. Always worth a watch
  • seanoconn
    Whiplash

I didnt know what to expect but I really enjoyed the film. Great acting from JK Simmons. Super ending
    Token love interest, a bit of family tension but it was really just about the intercation between the 2 main starts
    + 1 Good film.
  • seanoconn
    Enough Said. Gentle comedy romance, good one to watch with the Missus. One of James Gandolfini's last performances.
  • Dusted off my old VHS of Assault on Precinct 13 only a couple of weeks back.

The seemingly low budget nature of the film coupled with John Carpenter's haunting music score makes this one of my all time favourites.

Sadly TV channels now air the appalling remake from time to time but not the original anymore.

Other notable watches of late have been As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me and the original Bourne Identity with Richard Chamberlain as lead part.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Straight Outta Compton is on On Demand with Virgin.

EPO was out so dimmed the lights and turned up the stereo.

I am a pretty big hip hop fan and love the 90s/00s stuff, especially dr dre, Kanye, jay-z etc etc, so I am biased, but I really really liked it. I understand that Ice Cube and Dr Dre had a pretty big input, so obviously they had a say in how the story was portrayed, but it seemed pretty balanced to me.
    A touch long and lost a bit of direction towards the end, but a solid 4.5/5 from me.

Put some of the lyrics of Dre's album 2001 into context.
  • Room

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3170832/

Very good but oh boy, tense. Eerie, too. Brie Larson's just so awesome in everything she does.

The Big Short

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596363/

Pretty good. Interesting. funny at times. Bit banky if anything.
    tick - tick - tick
  • mr_goo
    Capote. I wouldn't say it was a tremendous film, but the performance of the late Philip Seymour-Hoffman was outstanding. The execution scene at the end was actually quite shocking.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    The Big Short. Courtesy of HousePriceCrash I was well up on the events leading up to the credit crunch and what was happening as it unfolded. It was even aware of the people in the film and how they managed to profit from it. Entertaining and I think accurate. Just a shame it is actually based on recent events. But if it were fictional no one would ever believe it.

The forthcoming Coen Bros. film is on my list.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Big short is very very funny. Good fun generally.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Fairly close to the book.

Really good 4 star film.
  • Wolf of Wall Street with DiCaprio on Netflix, its pretty good tbh (funny) if you have a couple of hours to spare!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Hateful Eight
    A bit long (takes a while & lots of dialogue to set up the characters & plot lines) I heard that it had an old school intermission when originally released in the US to go alongside the 70mm format, but actually very watchable, especially if you're a Tarantino fan. The non-linear plot lines are typical for his movies & its a good whodunnit for a while, whilst you're trying to work out where the overall thing is going and how all the characters stories come together. 8 shady characters stuck in a cabin during a blizzard & a cast containing a few Tarantino favourites, what's not to like?

Besides that.... it's got Samuel L in it, you can't go wrong (incidentally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZmU2GnUdA - v funny if you're a parent)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    vimfuego wrote:
    Hateful Eight
    A bit long (takes a while & lots of dialogue to set up the characters & plot lines) I heard that it had an old school intermission when originally released in the US to go alongside the 70mm format, but actually very watchable, especially if you're a Tarantino fan. The non-linear plot lines are typical for his movies & its a good whodunnit for a while, whilst you're trying to work out where the overall thing is going and how all the characters stories come together. 8 shady characters stuck in a cabin during a blizzard & a cast containing a few Tarantino favourites, what's not to like?

Besides that.... it's got Samuel L in it, you can't go wrong (incidentally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZmU2GnUdA - v funny if you're a parent)

Yeah it's a good film but it's too long, especially given 2/3s is set in one room.

It's as indulgent as death proof was but better written.

I thought the 70mm was a little lost on what is essentially an epic length reservoir dogs with more grey hair.

The landscape shots are great but I couldn't really see the value inside; and there's a lot inside.

Some of the camera work though, crash focising etc is the best you'll see. Just the right side of clever and flashy.

It's one for Tarantino fans rather than general interest.