Which way to fit a new 30T ring on an FSA triple?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,583
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

I have an FSA triple, where the smallest cog has tried to kill me a few times - bought a Shimano 30T one to replace the existing 30T ring.
This pics shows the chainring, with old (Right) and new 30T cog (Left) - the original cog has no indentations on either side (Around the fixing holes), and it was fitted with the lettering showing on the driveside of the bike (Hope that makes sense)
23205736115_c5706db6dc_h.jpg
23179624826_c6518d114e_h.jpg
22577255754_1c3125c704_h.jpg

My confusion is around the indentation for the new ring - if I fit it so that the indentation is 'used' by the bolt that secures the cog onto the crankset, then the lettering is on the kerb side of the bike, and not the drive side - does that make sense?

Can anyone tell me which is the correct way to fit it please?

I nearly gambled on it this morning, but common sense prevailed, and I thought I would ask on here first!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    My 105 shimano triple has the lettering facing the inside I.E. facing the frame and the blank side is facing the inside of the middle gear. In English it mean you can read shimano from the non chain side of the bike easily. Hope this helps.

Awesome, thankyou yes that helps a lot - that means it would fit the way I thought it would do via the indentations - which will now take the bolts - thanks very much for that, I will refit it tonight :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    They normally try to make things assemble one way only but not always totally successful, especially with parts like yours that at first glance look the same both sides. You mention your triple tried to kill you, how come it didn't look to worn.

Well it's an aging triple off a second hand bike - the middle cog detonated earlier this year (And also tried to kill me), and as you can potentially see I replaced it around 4 months ago - after changing the cassette and chain for Ultegra flavour ones.

The small cog has now started exhibiting the same behaviour, but only under significant load, ie honking out of the saddle, so although it could be the freewheel, I think it unlikely, as it doesn't occur in either of the other cogs.

I think the fitting of the new chain and cassette also rules them out, so it's one of the two, and this cog only costs something like £11, and is easier to fit than a freehub.

We will see!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think it looks a bit pointy, so it may well be worn enough to skip when really stomping on the pedals.

+1 my Shimano triple has the writing on the smallest chainring facing the frame too.