Boris Bike in Rush Hour - Dockland to Waterloo?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Moved from Commuting general

Hi.

Ive' got a meeting in the docklands next week, and am considering getting a boris bike back from docklands to waterloo, which appears mostly Route 13, at 4pm. However, having never cycled in London before (normaly a mostly rural rider) , think this is probably a rash, bad decision, however I just can't stand the underground, let alone at rush hour.

I'm looking at routes, and considering the TFL's "Easy" route if I can waypoint it into my garmin 705, and will bring some extra lights/reflective bands.

Would you guys who normally ride in London suggest I don't do this?

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    4pm isn't rush hour, it'll be relatively quiet on the tube.
    Roads will be fine too, maybe just busier than you're used to but nothing to be overly concerned about.

Either will be fine...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • wolfsbane2k
    4pm isn't rush hour, it'll be relatively quiet on the tube.
    Roads will be fine too, maybe just busier than you're used to but nothing to be overly concerned about.

Either will be fine...

Cheers for that.
    I'm used to School kick-out time rush hour around here, and work my rides to avoid them like the plague.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • When you say Docklands do you mean Canary Wharf? if so then it is an easy 5 miles. Alternatively the Jubilee line will be empty at that time.

Past The Wharf - such as O2, Excel I would be tempted to say get the Tube
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Well it'll still be busy on the roads. But hopefully not gridlock yet
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • wolfsbane2k
    When you say Docklands do you mean Canary Wharf? if so then it is an easy 5 miles. Alternatively the Jubilee line will be empty at that time.

It's just outside the Excel Centre, so the Jubilee line is a good opportunity, but I won't have ridden for a few days due to travel, so feel the need to burn off some jet lag.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    When you say Docklands do you mean Canary Wharf? if so then it is an easy 5 miles. Alternatively the Jubilee line will be empty at that time.

It's just outside the Excel Centre, so the Jubilee line is a good opportunity, but I won't have ridden for a few days due to travel, so feel the need to burn off some jet lag.

To be honest, a boris bike over that kind of distance doesn't exactly count as "riding" (better than repeatedly punching yourself in the face, but only just). You'll also want some luck with the wind; the prevailing southwesterly can make that a real slog.
  • When you say Docklands do you mean Canary Wharf? if so then it is an easy 5 miles. Alternatively the Jubilee line will be empty at that time.

are you sure they do Boris Bikes down there? you will need DLR back to civilisation (?)
  • wolfsbane2k

are you sure they do Boris Bikes down there? you will need DLR back to civilisation (?)

Good call, I hadn't checked that! I swear I've seen one out that way before, but my memory must be a bit off. Closest it a East India DLR, which is still away out. I' won't mind the 1 mile walk to the pick up point, but that will make it a bit later on the roads, but it's mostly CS3 the as far as I can tell.
  • wolfsbane2k

To be honest, a boris bike over that kind of distance doesn't exactly count as "riding" (better than repeatedly punching yourself in the face, but only just). You'll also want some luck with the wind; the prevailing southwesterly can make that a real slog.

Cheers for the heads up. I've never used them, having left London before they were implemented, but after 6 1/2 hours sat in a meeting I'm going to need some leg stretching before sitting (hopefully!)on a train for 2 hours!

Good call, I hadn't checked that! I swear I've seen one out that way before, but my memory must be a bit off. Closest it a East India DLR, which is still away out. I' won't mind the 1 mile walk to the pick up point, but that will make it a bit later on the roads, but it's mostly CS3 the as far as I can tell.

The busier it is the slower the traffic goes and the safer it is... apart from CS3 which is inhabited by loonies
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

The busier it is the slower the traffic goes and the safer it is... apart from CS3 which is inhabited by loonies

Hey - I use CS3 everyday ... ok fair point
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I usually ride my own bike from CW to Tower Bridge and then south to home. CS3 is fine but will be a lot busier than you expect. also, don't trust anyone not to do anything unexpected from walking/driving into the bike lanes without looking or the latest is to stroll up to a pedestrian crossing and just stroll out without looking to see if anyone is even stopping (yes I know bikes/cars should stop but I would never just walk out blindly like many do).

I did hire a Boris bike to do Tower Bridge to CW one morning when the trains were screwed and i happened to be taking a rest on PT. It was slow, heavy and painful but it's an experience.
    FCN = 4
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Not necessarily the advice you have asked for, but having done several longer journeys on Boris Bikes myself, I would prepare yourself for some soreness downstairs... work trousers/jeans, boxer shorts and those massively wide saddles are a nightmare combo :shock:

It can be good fun though and for me it beats the tube every day of the week unless raining. Just prepare yourself for brakes that barely work (keeping in mind the mindless peds mentioned above) and gears that have a bit of a mind of their own!

It's definitely worth checking out docking options as certain places obviously see more bike arrivals than departures at certain times, meaning you might find the dock full. I'm guessing Waterloo at that time is one of those places. They give you a grace period to find another dock but if you are on a tight timetable that can be a killer.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • wolfsbane2k
    Thanks for all that contributed to this.
    Due to a very last minute change of plans, I did this last night with a suit bag on my back.
    Man the gearing on the boris bikes suck. I was up into 3rd and spinning out in seconds. Built for average people, not cyclists :(

And now I've got a better understanding of what you Londoner commuters put up with each day - wow. Give me my local traffic and occasional chopper any day of the week.
  • Thanks for all that contributed to this.
    Due to a very last minute change of plans, I did this last night with a suit bag on my back.
    Man the gearing on the boris bikes suck. I was up into 3rd and spinning out in seconds. Built for average people, not cyclists :(

And now I've got a better understanding of what you Londoner commuters put up with each day - wow. Give me my local traffic and occasional chopper any day of the week.

Pleased to hear that you lived to tell the tale
  • Thanks for all that contributed to this.

The most terrifying bit of Boris bikes I found was there braking, they are heavy slow but you kinda expect that, but the brakes reminded me of old bikes of old, Needing a firm tug, yet little action.