Get your Cannondale carbon frame properly serial numbered

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Unbelievable: Cannondale carbon frame numbers, at least Supersix, have a frame number as a sticker. OK, but it's also written in some other way in/on the frame, right? No. Just on the sticker. FFS. Unbelievable. At the very least they should shout this fact in its documentation to prompt you to do something about it. No, at the very least what they do do is nothing. Brilliant. (I've had mine stolen and now learn that the thief has got the tricky task of unpleeling a sticker to make it unidentifiable as stolen to anyone who buys it.) I'm going to say it again. Unbelievable. That is so shite. Thanks Cannondale.

Comments

• Sorry to hear that!
    Hope you had some sort of insurance which covers it..
  • ben-----
    Sorry to hear that!
    Hope you had some sort of insurance which covers it..
    Thanks. No I didn't. But aside from that, is it ridiculous of me to expect Cannondale to either have (a) marked the frame with the frame number in a more indelible way than a god damn sticker, or at least (b) for them to have shouted in the documentation: "we've only bothered to put a sticker on so far as the frame number goes, so basically it's unidentifiable as is; if you want it to be identifiable, take necessary steps yourself."? They should surely do (a) ?

The slim chance of me getting my bike back is now a slim percentage of a slim percentage thanks to the bike not having any identifiable serial number. Let's just hope the thief doesn't have the necessary tools/equipment to remove the frame number sticker. :/

I am a bit gobsmacked after finding that out. I really did assume, stupidly, as well as the sticker the frame number would have been written on there in a more indelible way. Silly me.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sorry for your loss but really its your bike so if you didn't get it marked and insured you can't blame someone else for it not being traceable if recovered.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ben-----
    Insurance companies want the frame number when you insure it I believe.

Silly them. It's just a sticker.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Eh, got my Cannondale insured through my house insurance for its full value and no, I did not have to give them the serial number and yes, it is a sticker, but if it gets stolen I get a new one so no big loss.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Insurance companies want the frame number when you insure it I believe.

Silly them. It's just a sticker.

No they dont
  • ben-----
    I just find it amazing that the frame number is just a sticker. Irrespective of whether insurance companies ask for it. Some do. And the police give weight to it. They wouldn't if they knew it was a sticker. Seems a reasonable thing to be amazed at.

I bet there's a good few people who haven't had their carbon Cannondale marked because they think it's marked by the frame number when it isn't.

It's just quite a slippage of what a frame number used to be, what it could be used for/do.
  • Probably to do with stamping stuff into carbon. I had a google of venge, madone, etc. They all do it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ben-----
    > Probably to do with stamping stuff into carbon.

Yup, but not exactly impossible for them to come up with a way of embedding a frame number in/onto carbon that doesn't damage it. Or at least they should shout "frame not uniquely identified apart from a sticker so take steps yourself if you want it to be" in the documentation.

> I had a google of venge, madone, etc. They all do it.

Right, I was wondering about that.
  • Probably to do with stamping stuff into carbon. I had a google of venge, madone, etc. They all do it.

I'm pretty sure both my Foil and my Volagi have frame numbers in the carbon. That said, I've security marked the Volagi including a couple of hidden chips. Nothing to stop you doing this for a fraction of the bike's value. Mark the bike and make it clear that it's marked and the thief might choose to nick a different bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not sure if they do it all over the country but the Met Police will mark your bike and record it with Bike Register free of charge. The number is etched on so rather harder to get rid of, I've had all of my bikes done.
  • I would have thought a shaped stainless steel plate glued to the frame would be a better choice.

Do they still do that tagging thing?
    A number of years ago you could get a chip put into your bike (like a dog) and it would flag up your details if scanned.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Probably to do with stamping stuff into carbon. I had a google of venge, madone, etc. They all do it.

I'm pretty sure both my Foil and my Volagi have frame numbers in the carbon. That said, I've security marked the Volagi including a couple of hidden chips. Nothing to stop you doing this for a fraction of the bike's value. Mark the bike and make it clear that it's marked and the thief might choose to nick a different bike.

My Felt F1x has the number as part of the paintwork - not so good as a a proper inscription but better than a sticker. Commiserations to the OP - must be multiply annoying; not only to lose the bike, but to find out about the s/n sticker AND to be told by us lot how much more you coulda/shoulda done. Police will mark your bike for free - and you can get microdots as well to put inside tubes which you cannot easily get rid of (came free with my hybrid with reduction on normal price for additional bikes)