Bike Upgrades.

hardmaniron
hardmaniron Posts: 7
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
I brought this bike (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/talon.29er.1/19251/77364/) and as you will all know Christmas is coming up so I was thinking about buying some upgrades. I have been doing XC for a while now, and a few trail rides here and there, but I would like to do some more down hill or enduro ( I know hard-tails aren't the best for both of the riding styles but I don't have thousands to spend on a brand new bike). If you could recommend some upgrades I could do to my bike that would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have a budget of 200-300 pounds on upgardes.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DH is not happening but I would start with better forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a cross country bike, and for average trails. Nice frame for that but... a DH/Enduro bike it will never be I am afraid.
  • Thanks for clarifying, well if dh and enduro are out of the question what kind of upgrades would be nice for trail riding. As the other guy said the fork would be a good upgrade but I cant really get a nice fork for under 300 pounds that will be better than the one I have already.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want to ride a bit harder then stiffer forks and stronger wheels will help a lot. Big wheels are generally weak and flexy unless you spend a lot on them, same with forks which are spindly and flexy.
    You could do enduro on it, you certainly won't be competitive but I have met plenty of riders having a go on 29er hardtails in the sport or fun category. They all seem to have fun although I have seen some ruined 29er wheels at enduro races.
  • Thanks.
  • stronger wheels will help a lot. Big wheels are generally weak and flexy unless you spend a lot on them

Can you recommend any wheels/ companies that aren't too expensive. And do I need a chunky frame to do some harder riding.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you buy a new frame you may as well just get another bike. Personally I don't think 29ers make good enduro bikes.
    Stans Flow EX or (my favourite) Hope Tech Enduro wheels are both worth checking out.
  • I wasn't really thinking about buying a new frame , but I'm probably just going to do trail riding and maybe some mountain biking up and down hills (on smooth tracks).But thanks for the wheel companies anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anything will handle smooth up and downs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    An xc bike will handle various downhills fine, even rougher ones. It won't work well as an out and out downhill bike on real downhill courses.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Given the OPs level of knowledge of the sport, I'd suggest th bike as sold will cope just fine with whatever he I for a fair while.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Okay, thanks man!