Knocked off, advice please

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
So on my way home this evening I was knocked off my bike in a low speed SMIDSY collision with a car. I was approaching a RAB in the empty left lane of 3, when the motorist in the middle lane waiting to enter the RAB decides they've had enough of sitting in traffic and without indicating drives straight into me as I enter the RAB in front of them. I was doing less than 10mph, taking it very easy, had 2 sets of lights on but minimal reflective gear. I saw the car move and turned away from it, managed to unclip and step off the bike to avoid going down, but the bike got pushed along on the road for a few meters. Bike didn't come off too badly, rode it home no problem, however its scratched up a bit.
Things that are scratched:
    left 105 shifter bar end bar tape rear skewer left pedal (pretty new Ultegra) right crank arm rear dérailleur chip on the lacquer on rear triangle of carbon frame slight buckle in rear wheel (Campag Zonda)

I seem fine, but I guess I will know for sure in the morning.

I got the drivers details and a witness too. Not called the police - didn't see the need at the time, bike seemed fine in the dark. Driver said sorry, admitted it was her fault, but when I spoke to her on the phone later seemed to be quite defensive giving me alarm bells. For eg "You're not going to try and get a new bike out of this are you?". The EPO overheard the conversation and afterwards called her several unladylike words.

So I intend to call the drivers insurance company in the morning and see what they have to say, then maybe take it to a shop for damage assessment and quote for repairs. Is this the right thing to do? Cheers!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Get it to a bike shop for a damage report, if it costs to do so get a receipt and receipts for any out of pocket expenses relating to the 'accident'. Might be worth reporting to the Police though unlikely they'll take any action but you'll have a crime reference number for the insurance company.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    As above - get your bike checked out. Police probably if you've been injured in any way, though no harm attempting to report it anyway. Take it you don't have a BC membership or anything like that? If so - give them a call to report it and get the legal support / claim underway (they were brilliant when I got hit by a moron that was texting whilst turning right...!)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    As above - get your bike checked out. Police probably if you've been injured in any way, though no harm attempting to report it anyway. Take it you don't have a BC membership or anything like that? If so - give them a call to report it and get the legal support / claim underway (they were brilliant when I got hit by a moron that was texting whilst turning right...!)

I forgot I am a BC member, I'll give them a call tomorrow, cheers!

BTW nice name, Vim :lol:
  • As above - get your bike checked out. Police probably if you've been injured in any way, though no harm attempting to report it anyway. Take it you don't have a BC membership or anything like that? If so - give them a call to report it and get the legal support / claim underway (they were brilliant when I got hit by a moron that was texting whilst turning right...!)

I forgot I am a BC member, I'll give them a call tomorrow, cheers!

BTW nice name, Vim :lol:

Alan