Virtual reality trainer

Cipollini
Cipollini Posts: 255
So i'm looking at getting a VR trainer for the long cold winter months. I want one that will offer the route you can do. Not to bothered about the multiplayer function or racing. but like the idea of being able to get the Google licence plot my own route anywhere in the world and ride them. I've been advised to go for the Tacx I-Flow. Great value for money. However do the software upgrade to 4 advanced. The price jump to the Genius is quite a fair bit but noticed that the Genius smart is somewhere in the middle. Can anyone tell me the difference. pro and cons for both would be great.
Thank

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    open platforms are King, you can then use a chunk of free or low cost apps and aren't tied into one provider, especially tacx who's software tends to be awful. Look for something that supports ant fe-c, that will let you use zwift, trainerroad, et al, all of which are better than tacx tts.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    As it happens some of the tacx vortex and bushido smart trainers are now FEC enabled with a iphone/ipad applied firmware update.

I'm using a Vortex Smart with Bkool
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • It's all new to me. Any suggestions on trainers that support ant fe-c?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The 'usual' budget ones are the Tacx Vortex, Tacx Bushido and Bkool Pro. (These are the ANT+ FE-C trainers so they will work with multiple simulation systems).

Pros and Cons - the Vortex can only simulate up to 7% gradient - Bkool Pro has an issue with Zwift when using Interval Workouts in ERG mode (until they fix it, would need to run workouts with ERG turned off)

Simulators: Zwift is the most popular, most detailed, but limited to only a couple of routes. Workout mode is good.

Bkool simulator is less polished but lost of 'real' routes - some with videos and you can create you own. Has a velodrome simulator which is great fun. Has some interval based sessions and training plans but not as structured as Zwift.

Trainerroad - no graphics, but the best for structured training plans.

Elite
  • The 'usual' budget ones are the Tacx Vortex, Tacx Bushido and Bkool Pro. (These are the ANT+ FE-C trainers so they will work with multiple simulation systems).

Pros and Cons - the Vortex can only simulate up to 7% gradient - Bkool Pro has an issue with Zwift when using Interval Workouts in ERG mode (until they fix it, would need to run workouts with ERG turned off)

Simulators: Zwift is the most popular, most detailed, but limited to only a couple of routes. Workout mode is good.

Bkool simulator is less polished but lost of 'real' routes - some with videos and you can create you own. Has a velodrome simulator which is great fun. Has some interval based sessions and training plans but not as structured as Zwift.

Trainerroad - no graphics, but the best for structured training plans.

Elite

Do you have any experience with the elite trainers.
    Us it worth spending the exrea and getring the i-flow or even the genius.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've had a dumb Elite trainer before and they've been great - but can't say anything about the smart trainers.
    Similarly, don't know much about the iflow or the genius - or even if they're FE-C compliant..
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Screw the VR and do Trainerroad.

You're not recreating outside rides inside - you're getting your training in a concentrated dose.

Trainerroad will get you stronger or you get your money back. With the others - you're just playing a game.
  • Screw the VR and do Trainerroad.

You're not recreating outside rides inside - you're getting your training in a concentrated dose.

Trainerroad will get you stronger or you get your money back. With the others - you're just playing a game.

It depends on what you want. Trainer Road is excellent for very focussed training and if that's what you want then that's the way to go. Myself I'm not bothered about that, I just want to be able to do an hours cycling at 6am when it's dark, freezing cold and raining outside and for me Zwift is ideal for that purpose.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Cipollini wrote:
    Do you have any experience with the elite trainers.
    Us it worth spending the exrea and getring the i-flow or even the genius.
    [/quote]

I use a set of Elite smart rollers. The elite app is pretty good (same app for the turbos), it has a set of training programs, mostly interval based, which are ok. You can also record your own video and then ride it, or download videos to ride from their online shop, - most of the classic climbs are there, although I haven't really explored that option much.

http://www.elite-real.com/en/my-realvideo