Volagi Dilemma

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Moving from Amsterdam to the Cotswolds is definitely the perfect excuse for an N+1 - winter commuting on a Scott Foil Team Edition doesn't seem sensible. I need to keep a bike in Scotland for riding when I'm back (which is often) and I definitely want disc brakes up here.

I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes:
1. Volagi Viaje (steel, go anywhere, road bike which will take up to 40mm tyres)
2. Volagi Liscio II (basically the next gen of my carbon Liscio which, in fact, would probably be my commuter)
3. Volagi Viaje Ti (Ti version of 1.)
(See Volagi.com for details)

Cost-wise, the Liscio II frame is £500 more than the Viaje. I'd probably kit them out the same - hydraulic Di2. The Viaje Ti is an interesting but eye-wateringly expensive option (@$6500 before import duties for a complete Di2 bike).

I absolutely adore my Liscio so I know another would be great and it would be an opportunity to to go internally routed Di2 and designed-in hydraulic brakes. Test riding a Viaje is difficult but the geometry is the same as the Liscio - the only question is whether the additional weight is worth the go-anywhere capability. It would be a nice bike to have in Scotland. One option is to take the old Liscio down south (which is probably what I'd do anyway) and pair up the Foil and the Viaje in the Highlands.

It's far too complicated...

And, if that's not bad enough, I have the same dilemma with cars.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    No point in getting another Liscio in my opinion.
    If you are to have 3 bikes, then I would have 3 different bikes for different uses, then mix and match according to needs.
    For example, I have a trail bike, a kitted out winter/foul weather bike and a bling "good" bike. Use as required.
    Just an opinion though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • meanredspider
    No point in getting another Liscio in my opinion.
    If you are to have 3 bikes, then I would have 3 different bikes for different uses, then mix and match according to needs.
    For example, I have a trail bike, a kitted out winter/foul weather bike and a bling "good" bike. Use as required.
    Just an opinion though.

It would be nice to have different bikes hence I'm beginning to think the:
    Scotland: Foil and Viaje Cotswolds: current Liscio
    option is the best.

2 of the same(ish) bike is less of an issue when they're in different places. It's not like I can choose any one of the 3 on a daily basis. Although the Foil is great (and was stunning value) I've often wished I had another Liscio in NL instead.

I'll definitely be getting shot of the Brompton and the Paddy Wagon - and, in the case of a second Liscio, would probably sell the Foil too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    I'll definitely be getting shot of the Brompton and the Paddy Wagon - and, in the case of a second Liscio, would probably sell the Foil too.
    Fair point.
    Why have multiple bikes when you can have one (two in your case) perfect bike.
    One guy I know has an ultra expensive blinded up carbon race bike but never rides it as he finds his titanium "winter" bike much more comfortable.
    That'll bring out the N+1 devotees. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'd go for the Viaje in steel just to have something a little different. Perfect for the next Hell of the North too.
  • meanredspider
    I'd go for the Viaje in steel just to have something a little different. Perfect for the next Hell of the North too.

Yes - HoTN was something I was thinking about although, TBH, I think my Liscio would cope admirably - especially as it'll take 30mm tyres and runs alloy wheels. Anything so that I don't have to ride the Boardman again. I loved the route but hated the ride. On the test ride the day before i was struggling to keep up with my brother who was on his Liscio. When, a few weeks later, I was on the Foil riding with him, he was struggling to keep up with me.

I do ride a lot of fire roads up here, especially in winter, and something like the Viaje would be perfect. That does seem to be the best compromise.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'd go for the Viaje so that if you do end up living in just the one place you have the reason to keep both bikes.

The fact that you're even contemplating getting the Liscio again does suggest that it wouldn't be wasted money though, although you'd then presumably want to upgrade your other one to hydraulic Di2, so it would be a bit of a slippery slope.

I can't say they float my boat however, the curved seat stays suggest to me a bike that has been crashed. Geometry's no good for me either.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    You've answered it already. Every time someone suggests anything you go back to the lisicio. You want the lisicio and just want some confirmation.
  • meanredspider
    ....except that I'd pretty much decided on the Viaje :D
  • How about something completely different?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/28/06/15/un-gravelling-the-new-datum

(Will probably be my next commuter. Eventually)
  • meanredspider
    Interesting option, UE. Similar sort of cost to the Volagis.
    What I need to find it what I need to pay for a Di2 hydraulic groupset. One of the German sites lists them but doesn't have them in stock. That will determine the final build cost of a UK-sourced Volagi frame set
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I know I'm biased, but you could get a Shand Stoater. It's going to go pretty much anywhere you'll want to go, can get it custom sized and specced too. Probably not that far from you to boot.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • meanredspider
    That Shand isn't cheap is it? Bizarrely one of the things that puts me off is the name. But I'll add it to the list of things to consider
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Talking titanium - someone mentioned this guy to me and from some of the build pictures his frames look good and not too stupidly expensive; would be a build project though

http://wittson.com/latest-projects
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    That Shand isn't cheap is it? Bizarrely one of the things that puts me off is the name. But I'll add it to the list of things to consider
    Just saw one of them in the flesh at the fancy looking Bespoke in Canary Wharf. Certainly looks smart. I noticed the shop avoided putting price tags on anything so figured I probably couldn't afford it :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I'm back to this thread now I've ridden the commute a few times. I'm loving the commute but the roads are really muddy at the moment (and I can't see it improving) which isn't doing the Foil (or, equally, the wheels) a lot of good.

Besides the Volagi options, I'm quite taken by the Jamis Renegade Elite. The GT Grade Carbon looks OK too. I need to give the Renegade a go - shame it doesn't come with Di2 - Evans don't have stock until mid December.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I'm back to this thread now I've ridden the commute a few times. I'm loving the commute but the roads are really muddy at the moment (and I can't see it improving) which isn't doing the Foil (or, equally, the wheels) a lot of good.

Besides the Volagi options, I'm quite taken by the Jamis Renegade Elite. The GT Grade Carbon looks OK too. I need to give the Renegade a go - shame it doesn't come with Di2 - Evans don't have stock until mid December.
    You have a lot of choice these days when it comes to disc brake bikes with space for mudguards etc. I think, if you want a metal frame, there is no need for the volgi "technology" (which was, after all developed for carbon fibre). Why not broaden your horizons a bit, and look at a Litespeed, or Lynskey.... (all my bikes are titanium :oops:)
  • I saw Evans have Litespeed CX frames at under half price but I'm not sure about the geometry or the tyre clearance. I'd really like something that can take broad tyres (35c plus). I'm not too fussed about guards - always been happy with the Zefal Swan-R. The Volagi technology isn't only for carbon - in fact, I think the Viaje has a stronger following than the Liscio.

Happy to look at metal - but it needs to give me something as I've always been very happy with carbon.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Welcome to the west :D

You wait until we get the post snow mucky brown that covers everything and proceeds to eat it, it much better when it just snows and not driven over by loads of traffic so melts away.

:evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Yup - I didn't expect to find somewhere that made even the single track roads in the Highlands look posh and sparkly. It doesn't help that, due to the outstanding success of a certain Malmesbury-based company, there's loads of roadworks on the A429 which is driving a lot of traffic onto the rat-runs.

The commute is great though - about 7.5 miles with plenty of room to extend and there are some short/sharp slopes to attack. There's even a short bit of the A road to attack (see if I can hit 1200W) as I get out of the way of the traffic.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I saw Evans have Litespeed CX frames at under half price but I'm not sure about the geometry or the tyre clearance. I'd really like something that can take broad tyres (35c plus). I'm not too fussed about guards - always been happy with the Zefal Swan-R. The Volagi technology isn't only for carbon - in fact, I think the Viaje has a stronger following than the Liscio.

Happy to look at metal - but it needs to give me something as I've always been very happy with carbon.
    If you're looking at titanium and you're willing/able to stretch the budget a bit, another one to consider is the Litespeed T5 Gravel. Currently £1500 for frame & fork from Wiggle (Evans have a full build but their price is a bit steep, RRP+ a heftier markup). Superb build quality, running 35mm tyres and masses of clearance. Officially it'll take 40mm tyres, I think they're being conservative. Single set of eyelets on the back, fork doesn't have eyelets though- that's about the only thing I'd change. Geometry is more like the Datum or Grade than CX- a road bike that'll more than handle off-road. Through-axles front and back, and that old stiff yet compliant cliche applies. Did its first century at the beginning of the month, and it'll be doing plenty more. Not a magic carpet ride, though plenty smooth, but I'm running (wired) Marathon Racers at the mo, think tubeless and/or more compliant rubber will make that even better.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011