Sealant didn't seal my tyre

leeefm
leeefm Posts: 260
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
I'm really disappointed with the quality of my sealant... and the quality of driving I experienced tonight. Spent my Friday night in hospital :(
Shand Skinnymalinky
Argon 18 Radon

Comments

• feck, what happened and where.

and how are you? bike I guess you'll need to ask bike shop etc.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Erm.. you weren't expecting the sealant to instantly seal the tyre and stop it from deflating were you?

Beacuse it's the air escaping the tyre that forces the sealant into the hole and clogs it up (leaving you with a sealed but flat tyre which you then re-inflate).
  • Erm.. you weren't expecting the sealant to instantly seal the tyre and stop it from deflating were you?

Beacuse it's the air escaping the tyre that forces the sealant into the hole and clogs it up (leaving you with a sealed but flat tyre which you then re-inflate).
    Erm...whoooosh!
    (sorry, someone had to.)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Erm.. you weren't expecting the sealant to instantly seal the tyre and stop it from deflating were you?

Erm...whoooosh!
    (sorry, someone had to.)

:)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    What brand of sealant? Name and shame.
    Seriously, hope you're ok and the rest of the bike of course.
  • Don't worry about the sealant, you can always try another brand!
    Hope you are OK though, not the nicest start of the weekend :(.
  • leeefm
    feck, what happened and where.

and how are you? bike I guess you'll need to ask bike shop etc.

Was crossing Hampton Court Way at Embercourt Rd roundabout. Gentleman in a car going towards Scilly Isles didn't see me on the roundabout and bam; on the deck. Worse thing is that you can see it coming but it's too late to do anything. Rear wheel is toast, rim is smashed completely (my Hutchinson sealant didn't stand a chance :wink: ) as it took the impact. Shoulder was very painful after a minute or two and went to hospital. Bruising from what could be seen on the x-ray. So I guess I'm going to be off the bike for a bit.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    that's crap but you're alive and mostly undamaged which is a win in my book.

get well soon matey
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Smallish roundabouts like that are becoming my bete noire - standards of driving at them are lamentable and imo are noticeably lower than at other road junctions. Glad you are walking and posting rather than still in hospital. Bad timing for an off though - hard enough to motivate to get back on the bike after a fall but even worse when the thermometer drops to single figures and PT suddenly looks horrid but warm.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    GWS! Hope the Shand is otherwise intact...

Hope the driver gave you all their details etc and it gets sorted out quickly.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • leeefm
    Cheers. Got people on the case for me to hopefully start contacting their insurers. Going to have to take the bike in to get a "pre accident valuation". Wonder where to take it... Sigma? I guess most high street shops won't know most of the parts on there, other than the group.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon