Recommend me a coach?

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
So I'm looking into the possibility of getting a coach. I got a pm back in March and it has really helped my training and make me take my training a lot more serious. I've improved a hell of a lot but I think I could get more out of my training. I do analyse my training with gc and reference training and racing with a powermeter. However I feel I'm just skimming the surface. This is where I feel a coach could bring a big benefit. They obviously have a lot more knowledge and experience than me and could look at the details. Also I followed one of the plans in training and racing but since I've finished that I feel my training has become a bit static and lost in what I need to focus on. Also having someone to plan all my training so I can then just go and do it would be a benefit to me.

I race cross so if possible I would like a coach with some experience in cross as that would give me a bit of confidence that they understand the training needs I'll have. I know we are only halfway through this cross season but I go on a 2 week holiday next week, then it's Christmas and before we know it the season will be over. So I'll be looking to get a coach at the end of the season so I can fully focus on next year and take the next step up.

I don't mind if my coach is local or not. With thinks like email, Skype, FaceTime I don't think having a local coach is a big factor. Price is a bit subjective. Ideally not more than around £80 a month as my c2w stops in December so that will free up some cash. However I'm prepared to pay the right price if it will be worth it. I'd rather pay a bit more and get a top coach than save some money.

I know coaches are a personal think as it's a personal relationship and while person A might get on with that coach person B might not.

So if anyone could recommend me a coach then please go ahead.
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd highly recommend a visit to Sportstest, it's not coaching per se but you get your mega accurate training zones and a good training plan which will set you in good stead for a few months. It worked wonders for me and a damn site cheaper than coaching.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • http://www.davelloydcoaching.com/

I used to hate it when he'd turn up for the Tuesday or Thursday chaingang as I knew I'd be off the back before we even got to the Ewloe.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • rozzer32
    I'd highly recommend a visit to Sportstest, it's not coaching per se but you get your mega accurate training zones and a good training plan which will set you in good stead for a few months. It worked wonders for me and a damn site cheaper than coaching.

Hi Nap

Yes that is very high on the list to do. Following on from what you've said in the other thread it has worked wonders for you. I know he also does do coaching so could also be a possibility. Honestly the only thing that puts me off is his seeming push on hr and not power although I could totally have the wrong end of the stick. Obviously everyone knows the benefits of power over hr.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992

Hi Nap

Yes that is very high on the list to do. Following on from what you've said in the other thread it has worked wonders for you. I know he also does do coaching so could also be a possibility. Honestly the only thing that puts me off is his seeming push on hr and not power although I could totally have the wrong end of the stick. Obviously everyone knows the benefits of power over hr.

Z2 done on HR. Intervals Power/bit of HR.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    elitevelo, in plymouth, coaches CX or epic coaching but quite expensive.
  • I'd highly recommend a visit to Sportstest, it's not coaching per se but you get your mega accurate training zones and a good training plan which will set you in good stead for a few months. It worked wonders for me and a damn site cheaper than coaching.

Hi Nap

Just spent a year being coached by Garry, and can't recommend him enough. I'd say you've misinterpreted how he works - he doesn't focus on just HR, but uses it because it's still an incredibly useful metric when used with power. More importantly, he'll consider recovery rates, life stresses, work shedule, weight, nutrition, body fat etc and work WITH you to get the very best out of YOU. In my book, a 'proper' coach who knows his stuff and keeps things very simple. Good luck!
  • So I'm looking into the possibility of getting a coach.
    Drop Ric Stern a note, I'm sure one of our highly experienced coaching team can help you out.
    www.rstsport.com

whatever you do, all the best with your efforts to improve!
  • rozzer32
    Thanks guys. All suggestions added to the list. Will be sending some emails when I get back from holiday then can take it from there.

Does anyone have any dealings with mark grange at velocoaching? From doing some digging it seems he teaches the cyclocross coach course at bc so obviously knows his cross stuff.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I think some of the 'dig deep coaching' guys are current/former CX riders
  • rozzer32
    I think some of the 'dig deep coaching' guys are current/former CX riders

Thanks. Yea dig deep are already on the list. On the higher end of the price scale but like you said if you've got Ian field as your coach he probably knows what he's on about.
  • You could try these guys

http://www.dirtschool.co.uk/ - They are specific Cyclocross and MTb coaches

I did a session to learn the technique basics of cyclocross for starting out but they offer training packages as well. The guy that too my session is a current Pro (raced commonwealth games) and Scottish Cyclocross champion. http://www.cxmagazine.com/interview-king-scottish-cross-robert-wardell
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577

Like the look and sounds of them - just dropped them an e-mail.

Any idea on prices?

Milton Keynes would be my nearest venue - 60 miles away.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18