mouldy silicone sealant

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
edited November 2015 in The cake stop
The stuff between the bath and the wall - it's only been 18 months or so and it needs replacing. It was a new bath - lived here for 10 years previously and didn't have the same problem.

Is there any way to stop this happening again - maybe spray the wall with mould killer between taking out the old stuff and resealing ?
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The stuff between the bath and the wall - it's only been 18 months or so and it needs replacing. It was a new bath - lived here for 10 years previously and didn't have the same problem.

Is there any way to stop this happening again - maybe spray the wall with mould killer between taking out the old stuff and resealing ?

Buy the mould-resistant version.
  • DeVlaeminck
    It was
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Lots of things kill mold, white vinegar for example, but not many remove the black stain, nasty old bleach works on most surfaces but not well on sealant. Cut out the old sealant and use plastic tile strip instead, this will at least be wipe clean and bleachable.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • The only way to stop mold , is stop the conditions for it to grow , that is, drying and wiping the shower/bath after every use and to keep the room well ventilated.
    Use an evostic sealant remover to remove the old sealant , it is better than cutting with a stanley knife , you avoid scratching the surface and can remove more of the sealant.
    Use a sealant with a mold inhibitor , they are only as good as the conditions they are up against , constant steam and moisture will cause mold eventually.
    PS
    I have been a Housing surveyor for nearly 40 years and I could have N + plenty if I had £1 for every mold issue I have dealt with !
    regards
    ILG
  • DeVlaeminck
    Thanks will try the sealant remover. I get the impression this mould has come from behind the silicone as the grouting on the tiles has been fine - maybe water is accumulating on the edge of the bath though or maybe the wall was damp when I put the sealant in. Anyway will give it go and see if it lasts longer this time.
  • The sealant remover is mingling but yes, it might save scratching the tub.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Remove it all and replace with this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-FOREVERWH-Forever-White-Sealant/dp/B0017RMIWS
    mines been on nearly 2 years and is as white as the day it was applied.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.