Shimano XT brake bundle from CRC

TCottle
TCottle Posts: 65
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

My bike mechanic skills are pretty novice at best, so excuse the below if it's a totally daft question.

I'm looking at buying some XT brakes in CRC's Black Friday Sale;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m785-disc-brake-rotor-bundle/rp-prod124958

This builder is confusing the hell out of me... which is easily done to be fair.

As I go through the brake building kit and add it to my basket I'm left with the followings items;

- Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake (Front Right Hand)
- Shimano XT Disc Rotor 203mm
- Shimano mount adapter front post to IS
- Clarks Shimano XT sintered pads
Total of £91.96p.

Now, that reads to me as a full brake set for the FRONT of the bike.

Do I need to go through the brake building kit again and add all of the above once more, but for the REAR of the bike?

Hope that makes sense, but that will take the price up to £180... which is less cool.

Cheers,

Tom.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only if you are adding the expensive rotor options, and brakes come with pads, so you don't have to buy a second set.

Not sure what you're planning on using them on, but 203 rotors are big, and a lot of IS mount forks might not be designed for them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed
    1/ Are your forks IS mount
    2/ Are they rated for 203mm discs
    3/ Do you really need 203mm discs

What brakes have you now? If you can use your existing adaptor and discs then XT brakes can be found for sub £50.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Hmmmm....they seem expensive.

I got front and rear brakes (levers/hose/calipers/pads/fully bled) + front and rear mounts + front 203mm rotor and rear 180mm rotor for £147 from Merlin cycles - I just priced up the fronts on their own using your site which came to £99???

Best thing to do is what I did, ring the shop and they should help you get exactly what you need
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Funny I just did the same and got to £148.94, front and rear, with rotors and mounts.

Not really a lot in it.

But £47 an end for XT, without all the other bit is a really good deal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Funny I just did the same and got to £148.94, front and rear, with rotors and mounts.

Not really a lot in it.

But £47 an end for XT, without all the other bit is a really good deal.
    Yeah just under £100 seems going rate, mounts and rotors cost an extra £45 ish. I could have used my original rear rotor but chose not to, had to buy new front as XT are 203mm and mine was 200mm
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To give a comparison i weight 16 stone and have never has any problems with 180 / 160 disc combination.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yeah I thought a 203mm rotor was for downhill bikes.

I currently run 160 front and rear but looking to change the front to a 180 for a bit more stopping power.

£47.99 is a very good price for these brakes, I got them months back when the price was around 55 and that was a good deal then, maybe they are cheaper to get rid of stock as the new m8000 brakes are out?
  • JGTR
    My Camber came with 200/180 as standard
  • The Rookie
    Spesh fit the L and XL with a 200, the S and M come with a 180.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Good price, free P&P as well.