Specialized Hi Lo disc Axle

nadama
nadama Posts: 12
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have found myself in a little bit of a dilemma. I own a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29 2013. However I have found that my freehub bearings are worn. I intend to replace the freehub body however I now can't get it back together. The nut on the cassette side won't tighten I think the threads on the axle have been stripped. I have spoken to specialized and said that I need an entire knew hub as they don't sell just the axle. I really don't fancy the cost involved in this.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check if what you think is correct. Are they stripped?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nadama
    Well the bolt only tightens if the freehub isn't on (I assume that this is due to the threads at the end of the nut and axle). If you try to tighten the nut with the freehub on it just turns and does not tighten.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you removed the axle an inspected it, is it thick enough for a helicoil?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nadama
    I have removed it. I have just had a quick look at helicoils and they may be the solution. I will measure everything up when I get home.

Thanks for the suggestion.