Commuting in rain: overshoes that last?

kayodot
kayodot Posts: 143
edited December 2015 in Commuting chat
Having gone through a pair of Castelli Diluvios (which lasted about a month), and Rapha Overshoes (have currently lasted about 3 months, but there are holes forming on the sole) and multiple pairs of Prendas oversocks (which seem to get shredded within minutes), I thought I'd tap in to the wisdom of commuting chat.

Has anyone got a recommendation for overshoes/oversocks that are:

a) water resistant/repellant
b) well fitting and snug around the ankle (I find the Raphas too loose) - no to velcro-only closures
c) have a hard-wearing sole that can stand up to the regular unclip- oot down-clip in, of commuting in London

Is there anything out there that can last at least a winter's commuting? I don't necessarily need ones that keep me 'warm' (i.e. Neoprene, thick merino socks do this sufficiently). If someone has made gore-tex ones with an incredibly strong reinforced sole, those could be interesting.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Worried about the "heavy downpour" forecast in about 30 mins?
  • Anything made by BBB basically.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    In short, nope lightweight ones tear and heavy duty soak up
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • My BBB Waterflex have lasted ages and these type are the best I've used - better than the neoprene. Avoid Endura neoprene like the plague - they last about a week.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kayodot
    Worried about the "heavy downpour" forecast in about 30 mins?

putting that Amazon Prime Air to good use...

two votes for BBB! any fellow skinny ankle users able to comment on the fit?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I've had great experience with me endura neoprene overshoes.

5 years I've had them. Will stay dry on your commute in all but the heaviest of downpours, but then nothing will keep you dry in that respect.

Also, the fact you find a bit of your bike paint on the inside heel of your shoe after long rides would suggest that whatever you do you'll wear a hole in them...!
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I haven't found any that last, I just accept I need a new pair every winter.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i have two pairs of think planet x wrap around that hold back most of the road spray for about 10 miles of my 15 mile commute, then my poor shoes sit wet all day in a pannier waiting for a soggy ride home :evil:

its amazing that those shoes dont honk and havent fallen apart after a couple maybe more of all year round use.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Really like the new Sealskinz ones I have with the flashy lights in the heel. Hopefully they'll last, because they're really dry and snug.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The Aldi ones are more waterproof than others I have had. They are more like walking gaiter material than overshoes though.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i have two pairs of think planet x wrap around that hold back most of the road spray for about 10 miles of my 15 mile commute, then my poor shoes sit wet all day in a pannier waiting for a soggy ride home :evil:

its amazing that those shoes dont honk and havent fallen apart after a couple maybe more of all year round use.

I've not tried it but if you get a couple of those hand warmers and put them in your shoes in the morning they can help to dry them out, failing that you can't beat newspaper
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Army surplus MVP (waterproof) socks and I don't care how wet the shoes get!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    BBB are hard to beat. Got some Arctic Duty overshoes on a deal last summer - nice & hard wearing & keep the toes warm in really low temperatures. Same issues as with all overshoes (ie the massive hole at the top that your leg goes in will inevitably lead to water ingress after a while) but I've never had cold feet with these.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • The Aldi ones are more waterproof than others I have had. They are more like walking gaiter material than overshoes though.

Ditto that - they do a very good job even if they look a bit daft.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I did a season on the DHB copies of the toe thingies.

They lasted a lot better than the Castelli ones.

I would suggest that if you're commuting you look into the shoes that are waterproof rather than overshoes as they have the sole rather than melting everytime you stop at the lights. Thats my plan anyway.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Add me to the BBB fan club; not 100% waterproof, as the Somerset floods on 2012 attest, but both zip and underside have survived from purchase back in October 2011.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    My BBB Waterflex have lasted ages and these type are the best I've used - better than the neoprene. Avoid Endura neoprene like the plague - they last about a week.
    Have your feet got talons or something?
    I've had a pair for about a year. Other than the reflective, they are like new.
  • My BBB Waterflex have lasted ages and these type are the best I've used - better than the neoprene. Avoid Endura neoprene like the plague - they last about a week.

No - all other overshoes have lasted forever. And it's not just the material of the Endura ones but the Zips too.

My Shimano and BBB ones I've had for years.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    My BBB Waterflex have lasted ages and these type are the best I've used - better than the neoprene. Avoid Endura neoprene like the plague - they last about a week.

No - all other overshoes have lasted forever. And it's not just the material of the Endura ones but the Zips too.

My Shimano and BBB ones I've had for years.
    The only neoprene bbb ones I had perished very quickly and turned into sponges. You are right about the zips though - some mechanical sympathy is certainly required.

I've just not found anything that fits as snugly as the Enduras.

Lets face it, we are probably kidding ourselves and they are all made in the same place from the same stuff.
  • The Endura and BBB ones are very different in zips and bottoms. I can believe the Shimano and BBB ones are made in the same place. I prefer the non-neoprene ones - they're lighter too.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Another vote for BBB ones for longevity anyway, the ones I've got (hardwear I think) aren't meant to be waterproof but keep my shoes clean and no worse than damp in all weather and they've been going for years. Still look like new too. Mainly used with road shoes/cleats though spuds aren't as kind on overshoes ime.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The Aldi ones are more waterproof than others I have had. They are more like walking gaiter material than overshoes though.

I'll third that, the latest ones they sell are miles better than the last ones they sold, worked a treat for me on ym commute so far

Dave
  • kayodot
    The BBB waterflex ones have held up well to a week of commuting. Happy with their waterproofing on my short (5 mile) commute. Ankle is not quite as snug as I'd like, but fit is not bad.
  • prawny
    I managed to put a hole in my BBBs yesterday, however I did walk three miles in them, so I'm not complaining. Still plently of life in them.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Anyone who is an MTB/SPD wearing monster might want to think twice before buying (normally reliable) Endura MT500 - just taken second pair back in space of two days. Zip broke / fell off this morning. Picked up replacements and noticed there is a tooth missing from the zip in the new pair at about same place (low down on left hand shoe). Real shame as they performed excellently at keeping off the water last night and this morning
  • prawny
    My BBB's let the rain in yesterday, not a massive surprise given it was biblical for about 20 minutes, my shoes were dry by this morning though so they kept some out. Got my old Planet X ones on today.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    +1 for BBB. Got Speedflex and they've lasted 2 years vs the 1 year for the Endura MT500.

The MT500 ripped and the zips broke within a couple of months. They were warm-ish but never seemed to keep much water out.

The Speedlflex are a bit more waterproof, and the zips are still great. The material is starting to crack on the surface. The main thing I use them for is keeping the wind out and they still do that really well. If it's wet I'm going to get soaked whatever.