Trail centre virgin advise.

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited November 2015 in Routes
So I may take a trip to Swinley Frest at the weekend. It's close to me and I'd love to have the confidence to ride some proper trails. More than happy to stick to the blues, but what should/shouldn't I do. I don't want to look like a total twat.

Going quick is fine, love downhills, not the fittest yet but getting there. Jumps scare the shit out of me though, am I likely to find many of those of blue routes?

All advise welcome! :)
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You'll be fine, the trails are fairly smooth and designed to be ridden. Just make sure as above you are equipped for repairs, dress as needed for the conditions and take your time until you get used to it. Any parts you don't like the look of just walk over and work out how you are going to ride them next time. Trails up to and including red are normally fine with no great surprises. Black trails and higher are very different and you need to be able to handle the challenges they offer, and importantly have the right bike and clothing.

You may want to take a change of clothes as it is a lot wetter in winter.

Main thing is just enjoy it.
  • jamski
    Cheers guys that helps a lot. I have a small hydro pack and always carry a basic repair kit. Need to get a couple of tubes though.

I'm confident on everything but jumps so sounds like I'll be fine. I'll take it slow to start with and look out for others. Can't wait!

Thanks again.
  • Swinley is a series of relatively short trail sections with fire road breaks between them so plenty of places to have a rest or let others pass you.
    There is even a very short Green trail if you just want to start slow and get used to what the trails are like.
    The blue has a few short sharp climbs and descents but nothing which cannot be ridden slowly and carefully, and it is mainly man made twisty trails.
    Some of the starts of each section are not obvious and a pedal from the previous section end, so just ask someone if you need guidance.
    Enjoy!
  • jamski
    Swinley is a series of relatively short trail sections with fire road breaks between them so plenty of places to have a rest or let others pass you.
    There is even a very short Green trail if you just want to start slow and get used to what the trails are like.
    The blue has a few short sharp climbs and descents but nothing which cannot be ridden slowly and carefully, and it is mainly man made twisty trails.
    Some of the starts of each section are not obvious and a pedal from the previous section end, so just ask someone if you need guidance.
    Enjoy!

Thanks very much. And if I were to find the blue all ok, what would the red have in store? Or should I just stick to the blue as a newbie?
  • jamski
    One of the best ways to see what various trails are like is to look at the various youtube clips that people post. They tend to put the best bits in so it should give you an idea of what to expect. Failing that just ride as I mentioned in previous reply. My 10yr old son has recently started doing easy reds like Sherwood and parts of cannock so you will be ok.

Cool, thanks very much. :)