Tonight

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
It sounds bad out there, looking at 10 miles into a 50mph headwind. Seemed like a bit of a fun challenge this morning :shock:

Comments

• Tailwind ;)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Just made it home - be careful out there on your way home guys. On my hour home I went from the sublime (30+mph with no effort) to the ridiculous (having to dodge dustbins and roadsigns picked up and flung across road by the wind).

The gusts are disconcertingly strong - as are the sudden lulls. Watch out for pizza delivery scooters - saw two struggling with those huge boxes strapped on their back acting like sails
  • I was on a new commute tonight: dark, wet, very muddy (gotta love farmers) and very gusty winds. Loving it though (and, BTW, proving to me that 220 lumens is plenty for me)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Its a good challenge and chance to sharpen up the bike handling skills.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Was fine between the City & Fulham.
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    Some dodgy gusts, but otherwise flew from White City to Waterloo. Not looking forward to the morning if it carries on. That said, trains are looking bad already. Trees on line down my way
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Was fine.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Was insane
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Was fine. Bit blustery in the park.

Yesterday was bin day on our street. The people at number 1 seem to have acquired a lot of recycling boxes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • And repeat!

Went out yesterday and it's the first time I can honestly say I was concerned about my safety. Saying that I'm on the bike today!
    Typical that the tailwind in this morning is about 50% of the headwind I've got going home.
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    Don't like Monday mornings....or Friday evenings....

Have to carry a second rucksack with a week's worth of work clothes & washing stuff - heavy, and a nightmare in a cross wind...
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    50mph tailwind home - woo hoo!
  • Don't like Monday mornings....or Friday evenings....

Have to carry a second rucksack with a week's worth of work clothes & washing stuff - heavy, and a nightmare in a cross wind...

I know what you mean, I normally use a Carradice camper longflap on Mondays to bring in the weeks clothes and food and a Super C audax bag the rest of the week to bring in odds and sods and to take back clothes for washing. Decided to use the Audax bag today for the bare essentials.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Forecast for London has the really heavy winds for mid afternoon with dropping to around 30 kph for the ride home. I fought through the headwind this morning so I am riding the tail wind this evening
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    50mph tailwind home - woo hoo!

Wind and rain just about to pass through Leeds leaving a dry commute and gusts reducing from 40mph at 15:00 to 11 mph at 18:00! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......