Canyon or Genesis

ianeverton
ianeverton Posts: 231
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
After some thoughts please, especially if you have or had either of the bikes below.
Basically looking for a good winter trainer that is a nice ride.

Options are.

Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20 (http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-disc/equilibrium-disc-20)

or

Canyon Inflite AL 9.0S (https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/inflite/2016/inflite-al-9-0-s.html)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have been using an equilibrium as a winter bike for yonks. it's brilliant.
    Insert bike here:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Genesis - steel is real frame - rubbish spec

Canyon - good alu frame (but alu frames are never special) - great spec

which is more important to you?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    That Canyon bike is ridiculous value for money. If I was after a winter bike I don't think I could ignore it.
  • The Canyon does look good. Only thing is given Canyons reputation for deliveries it might not be *this* winter when you get it.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    The Canyon does look good. Only thing is given Canyons reputation for deliveries it might not be *this* winter when you get it.

Haha, good point, although they are quoting delivery within 2 weeks on all sized by the looks of it.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Bit harsh to dismiss the Genesis as having a "rubbish spec". Full 5800 11-speed (apart from chainset), TRP Hy/Rd brakes (about the best mechanical discs you can have) and Mavic Aksium One wheelset (not earth shattering but a pretty solid set of hoops at that price point) and it's £200 cheaper than the Canyon.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You've used the word 'trainer' - if you're using it for training rides with other people, then for me it's the Canyon all day long - much lighter (2kg less on the quoted weights!) and better spec all round. On club training rides I like all the help I can get :-)

The equilibrium is more on the audax/commuter end of the spectrum - the arguments for it would be something like:
    - Steel is more comfy for long days in the saddle - good if you like an audax/do lots of commuting on it
    - With all that extra weight you'll really feel like you're flying when you get back on the summer bike
    - Cheaper components mean cheaper maintenance going forward - Genesis components are decent, i'd probably argue 'sweet spot' level where the canyon's are maybe a bit premium (depending on the size of your wallet...)
    - The steel frame should last decades, whereas it's likely that eventually an Alu frame will crack
    - You can fit panniers, not sure about the Canyon?
    - If you order it now it's likely that you'll actually receive it this winter, rather than next for the Canyon...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Bit harsh to dismiss the Genesis as having a "rubbish spec". Full 5800 11-speed (apart from chainset), TRP Hy/Rd brakes (about the best mechanical discs you can have) and Mavic Aksium One wheelset (not earth shattering but a pretty solid set of hoops at that price point) and it's £200 cheaper than the Canyon.

Reminds me of the company that sent a rocket to the sun, at night, and built a submarine, with a screen door...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • One of them is a nice colour..................
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Has anyone got or ridden the Canyon ?

Yes the Canyon is a hideous colour :(
  • I have a Genesis Croix de Fer for my commuting / winter bike and said I wouldn't swap it for anything although the Canyon Inflite has turned my head - spec, weight but definitely not colour wise!

Either of the two bikes you've mentioned would be great.

I think I'd get away with it if it were black - my wife wouldn't notice :-)
  • I've got the Canyon, it's not a looker but certainly not hideous. In terms of specification and riding can't really fault it although I'd recommend swopping the tyres for something with a bit more puncture protection. Ideal winter bike.
  • Does the bike have mudguard mounts or eyes on the frame ?
    Could you possibly post a picture of your bike please, I know most bikes look different in the flesh compared to screen shots ?
    Thanks

I've got the Canyon, it's not a looker but certainly not hideous. In terms of specification and riding can't really fault it although I'd recommend swopping the tyres for something with a bit more puncture protection. Ideal winter bike.
  • After some thoughts please, especially if you have or had either of the bikes below.
    Basically looking for a good winter trainer that is a nice ride.

Options are.

Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20 (http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-disc/equilibrium-disc-20)

or

Canyon Inflite AL 9.0S (https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/inflite/2016/inflite-al-9-0-s.html)

Thanks in advance

If you want to train hard in winter look for a bike with mudguard clearance and fittings.

Honestly without guards your winter training will be miserable.
  • No problem fitting mudguards, mine came with mudguards as Canyon used to do supply them with the bike. In terms of looks I've no pictures but a friend has just taken delivery after seeing mine, and another friend is waiting on his. It's not a bad looking bike and a lot of the writing/markings on the frame are reflective which is nice if you are riding when it gets dark.
  • Pictures here of it one with guards, 105 version but looks identical to the ultegra one:-

http://www.cykelportalen.dk/test-af-canyon-inflite-al-8-0-s/
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I'm not answering your question, but for that cash there are a lot of other options out there....

My winter bike is a CAAD10 105 (with raceblades) and you can get one of those or a CAADX 105 disc for about £1k...
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Anyone know if the Inflite 8 or 9s models come with mudguards?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Previous seasons models came with them, current season don't. Apparently they are SKS Bluemels.
  • gweeds
    Previous seasons models came with them, current season don't. Apparently they are SKS Bluemels.

Thanks very much.

Called Canyon and they're out of stock of the guards until Feb so I've just ordered some Bluemels for when the bike arrives
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Is the 9 the same but with different gearing and tyres for Cross?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • gweeds
    I believe so yes.
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    anyone else ordered from Canyon and still waiting? I am getting fed up to be honest....
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    anyone else ordered from Canyon and still waiting? I am getting fed up to be honest....

Yes, you are not alone. Ordered a bike start of September, 2016 bike so admittedly not due until end October. But here we are approaching end November and no bike in sight. Fed up chasing them, they just fob you off. Getting close to cancelling, will give 'em a couple more days after chasing for one last time.
  • anyone else ordered from Canyon and still waiting? I am getting fed up to be honest....

Yes, you are not alone. Ordered a bike start of September, 2016 bike so admittedly not due until end October. But here we are approaching end November and no bike in sight. Fed up chasing them, they just fob you off. Getting close to cancelling, will give 'em a couple more days after chasing for one last time.

I ordered one beginning of October, just been told it's due to be dispatched week commencing 16th March!
  • gweeds
    Are these the new Ultimates or Aeroads?

I ordered an Inflite Al for the winter with a deliver of 30/11 to 5/12 and just had an email from UPS with delivery for tomorrow so bang on the 30/11 window. That was ordered 20/11 so 10 days in all.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    They had completely unrealistic delivery dates (with Aeroroads and Ultimates) starting in Nov and dec, suddenly these went out to feb/march - some are june/july!
    i had an email saying delivery early feb 16, which is what the web site now says, with some stating june/july.

The weather is still poor in feb/march so not a problem but if it goes out again...........
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    They had completely unrealistic delivery dates (with Aeroroads and Ultimates) starting in Nov and dec, suddenly these went out to feb/march - some are june/july!
    i had an email saying delivery early feb 16, which is what the web site now says, with some stating june/july.

The weather is still poor in feb/march so not a problem but if it goes out again...........

I'm in the same boat. Ordered Ultimate mid October at that time estimated delivery was 14 November. Then on 4 November get generic email and told today 'mid March'.

I don't fancy going back to the drawing board and deciding on alterative but if I leave it to March and still no sign I will struggle getting a bike I like in my size.
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    Think yourself lucky - at least you can simply cancel and walk away.

They charged me for my bike (Endurace) 3 weeks ago, and keep pointing me to the tracking reference created at that time - which shows that the 'package' hasn't left Canyon yet!!

Utter incompetence. They won't let me cancel because 'it has been dispatched'. They have my money, they have my bike. Contacting them via email/online chat/twitter is a waste of time.

I won't be using them again, ever.
  • gweeds
    With a wait now March rather than the claimed Nov I'd look elsewhere.

Pauly - that's insane. My sympathies.