New Bike

edrobbin
edrobbin Posts: 173
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
As previously posted, I am quickly killing my pride-and-joy MTB using it as a commuter. So, need to go down the N+1 route. I'll be gutted to move on from it, as it's the best bike I have ever ridden. Irrationally, I don't want to get a pure road bike either

I had my heart set on the Cannondale Bad Boy 1, but it isn't being distributed in the UK. My best attempts sourcing one from overseas have come to nothing - cost, hassle, general pain-in-the-assery...So am looking elsewhere. I am a life-long Cannondale fan, so want to stick with them if possible. Budget up to £1500ish.

The Bad Boy 2 was interesting, but the components looked awful - wouldn't last 5 minutes with the hammering I give them. The Slate range ticks all the boxes, but can't justify the cost so now looking at the "Quick" range. The top end carbon one looks good, but I've realised I know nothing about road-bike set up & components. Could I get a moment of the esteemed members of this board? I'd really appreciate feedback on this - any good, or has the kit been compromised to get a carbon frame in at £1500?

http://www.primera-sports.com/cannondale-2016-quick-carbon-1-hybrid-bike.html

Or - is there something else out there that could tempt me away from Cannondale?

thanks
Ed
Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Depending on the route and distance bikes similar to the specialized diverge, gt grade etc. are becoming more popular. They handle roads well and also smoother offroad trails. Along with disc brakes they are good for commuting. The drop handle bars are also handy once you get used to them as it gives you a variety of hand positions and on the drops you can go noticeably faster.

The carbon v aluminium debate doesn't really matter as often just fitting bigger tyres smooths out the ride.

Just remember to make sure you can fit proper mudguards etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While not in the bad boy league, last years Voodoo Marasa at £200 is blinding value and makes a great DP bike between a road commuter and a rigid 29er MTB, this years is more versatile but a wedge more cash!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • who's selling voodoo marisa's at £200.....I'll get one at that money
  • just reserved one £189.................bargain
  • Bad boy 1 is about £1350 (€1900), free delivery from Bike 24 in Germany,who I've found consistently excellent. Could be the end of the month for some sizes.
  • edrobbin
    Bad boy 1 is about £1350 (€1900), free delivery from Bike 24 in Germany,who I've found consistently excellent. Could be the end of the month for some sizes.

thanks - tried them. had 'issues' with them excepting payment - I've got an HSBC business account that doesn't like international payments. Everything I tried failed, so kind of gave up.
    Waterloo - White City

• That's weird. PayPal?
  • edrobbin
    Thought of Paypal, but it needs to go through my business (and out of sight of wife...). My firm has a strong commitment to promoting cycling, and is happy to provide its Director with the necessary equipment.

Anyway, put a deposit down on the Cannondale Quick 1 - collect at weekend from LBS in Bournemouth, complete with full UK warranty, servicing and fitting
    Waterloo - White City

• Fair enough. The Quick, by all accounts, is a fine bike for what it is. I owned a Bad boy for a while, it was a properly fun bike. I started with the base disc brake model and upgraded it pretty heavily. The frame is the same right the way through the range (or at least it used to be), and not unlike the old f-series MTB, so a quick might be better for distance by road.

In terms of kit compromises, those wheels and tyres aren't much better than what used to be fitted to a £500 Bad Boy a few years ago. They're tough enough, but hardly light. At least now there's a few better options for disc road bike wheels. When I had my bad boy, it was 29er wheels or handbuilts, or stick with stock. Lugano tyres are pretty basic, not really excelling in any area beyond being cheap. A pair of Duranos, Rubino Pro or similar will make a big difference. Stock 'Dale tubes are usually Kenda things, which are heavy and thick, so a couple of quid there wouldn't hurt either.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Thought of Paypal, but it needs to go through my business (and out of sight of wife...). My firm has a strong commitment to promoting cycling, and is happy to provide its Director with the necessary equipment.

Anyway, put a deposit down on the Cannondale Quick 1 - collect at weekend from LBS in Bournemouth, complete with full UK warranty, servicing and fitting

You'll notice the difference in braking PDQ, I've been on my aged hybrid the last 2 days and what a difference from the Kinesis and a front disc.