Voodoo Hoodoo upgrade

Chodziu
Chodziu Posts: 11
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi

New to the forum. I have voodoo-hoodoo-mountain-bike-2013-2014. I have this bike for one year and use it mainly for commuting. I'd like to start to do some mtb, peak district. My question: is it better stay with this bike and start upgarding it or sell it and buy better bike. If I stay with it what should I change first? I bought new seat, pedals, stem and fit it already. I was thinking of a new front suspension (mine started to squeak) but have no clue which would be good enough for the beginner. Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not just service the forks - probably just need a clean/lube/new wipers and ride and see how you do.

The bike will be fine, most are far more competent that the riders.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Very good advise Cooldad. I just have some money to spend and I think it's a good time to do some shopping cause of many clearences in shops.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi

New to the forum. I have voodoo-hoodoo-mountain-bike-2013-2014. I have this bike for one year and use it mainly for commuting. I'd like to start to do some mtb, peak district. My question: is it better stay with this bike and start upgarding it or sell it and buy better bike. If I stay with it what should I change first? I bought new seat, pedals, stem and fit it already. I was thinking of a new front suspension (mine started to squeak) but have no clue which would be good enough for the beginner. Thank you for any suggestions.

There is nothing much wrong with your bike as it is, It will certainly cope well with messing about in the peak district. Is that the one with the air radion on it ? thats a good enough fork for someone learning the game. lighter wheels and tyres will most likely give you the greatest improvement for your money

As with any project, you get on a lot better if you decide, what your trying to acheive before you start spending money. decent pedals are always a good idea, but what are you trying to acheive with the stem ? loose weight, change the riding position, What ? if you lightning it I wouldn't start there, if your changing the position why, whats wrong with it now ?

Go and do some trails, decided what if any components are spoiling your day and start there
  • My voodoo comes with coil fork so I just give it service and start doing some trails. I changed my pedals already.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    My voodoo comes with coil fork so I just give it service and start doing some trails. I changed my pedals already.

Yes I would suggest so, Its a very capable bike, certainly it can be improved, but that not necessary to get out there. its extremely easy to spend the best part of a grand on your bike, most of which wont make a great deal of difference to what you can do, until you have honed your skills to the point that saving a quarter of an ounce on the weight of the stem, becomes critical to if you make a maneuver or not. That point may be some time off

Things that revolve or reciprocate are more important to up grade than things that just sit there, so wheels/tyres make a notable difference, stems seat posts and bars less so

NB have you tried putting some lube on the stanchions ?
  • Ty Brianbee for advise. Once i find a good priced wheels I will think about buying them. May be you can recommend me any? I did clean the stanchions and put some lube on them but nothing's changed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Change the tyres first, the originals will have a hard tread without much grip and be about 50% heavier than a decent folding tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Can you recommend me any decent tyres?
  • The Rookie
    Lots...

What sort of riding will you use it for? Will you be riding when its gloopy and muddy or just 'fair' weather? Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd say mainly fair weather but sometimes may be in wet conditions. I can spend let say 30£ for one.
  • What you think about buying Maxxis Ardent Race 3C EXO TR tyre for the rear and Maxxis High Roller II for the front.
  • The Rookie
    Bit of a mismatch between front and rear, the High roller is grippy but quite draggy, the rear fast rolling but not that grippy in anything mucky.

Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear does me most the year and then something more knobbly when it's muddy.
  • What you think about Maxxis HRII front anf Maxxis Minion DHR
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I had a High Roller II on the front, Ardent Rear on my Hoodoo which was heavily upgraded and is was a really good all round combo.
  • I gave service to the fork myself. It was full of water and metal pieces. One leg contain coil spring and the other air. It works fine now but I think sooner or later I would have to replace it with something better.
  • The Rookie
    The othjer leg was empty, air refers to it being used as a spring medium, your's wasn't!
  • Actually there is a rebound piston in one and a coil spring in the other.
  • I think the rear bearings are on the way out on my hoodoo. Any idea what type they are and how to fix them?
    Thanks for any advice.