New Marmotte in the Pyrenees.

fuzzdog
fuzzdog Posts: 196
I've just successfully registered for the Marmotte again.
Firstly I notice they are saying that the route will be as normal including the Galibier. On investigation I see they are opening a service road on the other side of the lake where the Chambon tunnel is. I assume they are hoping we can use that.

Secondly I notice with some excitement that they are listing a second Marmotte in the Pyrenees as well for 2016 but they have no information as yet as to when or where that will be.
Has anyone heard about this and can maybe shed a bit more light on what they might be planning.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    This might be interesting, be good if they released some information if only likely date.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Interesting, I'm guessing this will be around the Col d' Aspin, Tourmalet, possibly up to Hautacam? A fantastic area for cycling and loads of quality climbs in a small enough area to put together a really hard day of riding.

I can't wait to hear more about it, is there a mailing list that you can sign up for?
  • fuzzdog
    fuzzdog Posts: 196
    Hi.
    Not sure. I think you can sign up to sport communication site and have them send newsletters maybe. They have a face book page too.

Yeah. it would make an interesting alternative to be able to do a ride that included la Tourmalet and a few other iconic climbs in the Pyrenees. Port de Bales maybe or perhaps finishing on Superbagneres. That might work with the town of Luchon close by for riders accomodation. It's an exciting prospect. I hope they send out some info soon.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Really looking forward to seeing where they go with the new Marmotte Pyrenees. We've brainstormed (endless) route ideas in the Le Domestique Tours office today and have come up with the three options in the below article along with a few guiding principles - let us know what you think!

http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk/marmotte-pyrenees-the-new-granfondo/

Rob
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    My money is on it being the circle of death route
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Hopefully a circular route anyway - personal preference would be for something equally tough as the Marmotte or even a little tougher though perhaps the huge number of dnfs this year will put them off making it tougher. I'd prioritise a good route over famous climbs but I'd be surprised if they were brave enough not to make it a series of Tour climbs including the Tourmalet.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Hopefully a circular route anyway - personal preference would be for something equally tough as the Marmotte or even a little tougher though perhaps the huge number of dnfs this year will put them off making it tougher. I'd prioritise a good route over famous climbs but I'd be surprised if they were brave enough not to make it a series of Tour climbs including the Tourmalet.

Agree with all of the above.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231

Agree with all of the above.

Definitely. Great thing about the Marmotte versus the Etape is that you can (normally) compare your times directly each year. I'm giving it a miss next year, but will be back to hit my 7h30m goal one day...
  • kilns
    kilns Posts: 1
    I wonder would Cauterets be a possible finishing town, with a start in say Argeles Gazost
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    why wait, when you can do this.
    L'areigeoise in june, 4500m of ascent, 105miles and pretty much a circular route finishing this year on Plateau de beille, 48 euros inc a jersey, 5000 rider limit, we are all in, everything booked, really looking forward to it.