Disc Brakes - 2016

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited February 2016 in Amateur race
Quick question

Will I be able to road race in local events next year with a disc brake equipped bike?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Quick answer - no.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Thank god.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It would be carnage in the wet with disc biked riders having much better braking.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    A little sensationalist there, I doubt there would be carnage.

I'm fairly certain in any single race there is already a wide range of poor to good setups. If someone is jamming the brakes, something has already gone wrong.
  • kajjal
    There is that, but rim brakes really suffer in the wet, I recently moved to hydraulic discs for my road bike and the difference is very noticeable especially in the wet.
  • DavidJB

I'm fairly certain in any single race there is already a wide range of poor to good setups. If someone is jamming the brakes, something has already gone wrong.

Disagree massively. Road races in wet conditions with fast down hills and sharp corners at the end? Any junction? People with disks will brake later and harder than people on useless rims.
  • iPete
    I still doubt it'll be carnage but there is only one way to find out.

Not much more to add except OP, no you won't be able to ride your discs next year. It's unlikely anytime soon at amateur level, maybe 2018 at best.
    The UCI’s long-time ban on disc brakes in professional racing will be partially lifted in August and September of this year, when all professional teams will be allowed to test discs in two events of their choice.

Testing will continue through 2016, when teams will be allowed to test discs in all professional road events. If testing goes well, discs will be formally introduced to the pro peloton in 2017, with the goal of eventually bringing the technology to all levels of road racing.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/bikes-and-tech/uci-to-lift-ban-on-disc-brakes-in-august_366590#XCTZJfHl7BQLBk6Z.99
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There won't be carnage. Just because you have better braking in the wet does not mean you will, jam the brakes on. What disc brake give you is predictable braking in all conditions but in the wet disc brake user will have tk careful they don't lock the wheels especially the front.

Dodgy riders will always cause crashes from braking to hard or leaving to late and not scrubbing enough speed before the bend.

Disc brakes won't change the frequency of accidents at all. Thinking they will is just roadies resisting change which is what roadies do best. How many thought clip less pedals where dangerous back in 84. As soon a pro wins a tour with disc brakes everyone will want disc brakes for racing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • imposter2.0

Disagree massively. Road races in wet conditions with fast down hills and sharp corners at the end? Any junction? People with disks will brake later and harder than people on useless rims.

grip will still be the limiting factor in those circumstances...
  • kajjal

grip will still be the limiting factor in those circumstances...

Having ridden both rim and disc brakes on road bikes, discs give much better control, function and power. This is especially true in the wet. In comparison rim brakes feel under powered and wooden. Due to this disc brake harder and faster without locking up. I rarely lock up my brakes but did it much more often on rim brakes.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Great that eh..

No you cant race because you can reliably stop.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • i wonder how disks will be incorporated in amateur racing, several pro s have come out and said the 2 systems should nt be mixed, if so, going to make a lot of people very unhappy if they cannot use their rim braked bikes in the next year or 2.
  • DavidJB
    Another thing against them is any disc braked bike I've ever owned requires careful placing and tweaking to avoid disc rub. Imagine getting a wheel in a race with some shitty bent rotor or one that's set up slightly differently so you spend the rest of the race with rub + extra time from changing the thing in the first place...that's more time spent behind the service car at 185BPM.

Not to mention the fact neutral service needs to have different types of wheels...was bad enough with Shitmano only did 10 speed so if you rode glorious Campag you had better pray they picked up the right wheel.
  • iPete
    I had a road caliper move during a race, enough that it rubbed through a tyre. Stuff can happens regardless of system. Their introduction means they'l only get better too.

I'd imagine most pros against disc brakes ride for teams who's sponsors aren't pushing the products.Interestingly they just got the go-ahead for more widespread use in 2016.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/disc-brakes-cleared-for-2016-pro-peloton-every-rider-and-race-45823/

Maybe they'll reach amateur ranks as soon as 2017? It's not IF anymore, it's WHEN.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I've entered quite a few road races out here in asia where people are using different braking systems, and with big climbs and descents of over 1500m. There's no carnage, nothing you wouldn't have seen before the introduction of discs anyway. As others have pointed out grip is the limiting factor.
    Anyway it seems disks are inevitable in amateur UK racing also, question is when.
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    I find disc brakes very unpredictable at times. I ride a rim braked road bike and a disc braked CX bike. When up to temp and dry both systems are good, when wet the rim brakes (5700 105s on Aksium rims) are consistently mediocre but discs can be anything in between depending on how wet the weather is and how often I'm using them. After a few months use my old CX bikes BB7s or TRP Parabox could do absolutely anything in the wet performance wise but they would always make a racket. My newer Sram Force brakes are much better in terms of consistency. The other thing to note is that not all rim brakes are the same. My sons old bike had FSA SLK calipers with Swisstop pads running on Fulcrum Racing 3s and that was easily capable of out braking my BB7s and interestingly when I ran the Fulcrums on my road bike I noticed a step improvement in braking force too so there's a heck of a lot you can do to a rim brake system to improve the performance without adding the extra 0.5kg weight for disk brakes (show me a disc brake bike which weighs less than 7.5kg for less than £3grand)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mate has discs on his winter bike. He's really peed off with them - no stopping power, squealing and rubbing all on the same ride. My cantis stop in half the speed. So you could have good discs, bad discs, good rims and bad rims all in the same ride. It's probably not going to be disastrous. People adapt for their own equipment ? Just because XX brakes there - doesn't mean I would.
  • I'm gonna add nothing to this thread other than to say, in 17 or so posts the truth, the half-truth and the utter bollox have made an appearance. After 5 years, the threads on discs aren't getting any better just shorter :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imposter2.0
    Very insightful...
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    My disk brakes caused a badger to miscarry!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Meanspiritrider is right though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Meanspiritrider is right though.

Thanks for the endorsement, ThePsychoClinic :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH