Halloween has turned me to the skinnies.

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited November 2015 in The Crudcatcher
Sort off.

Not sure where to stick this one.

But was in a local cash converters having a browse and seen a commuter/hybrid bike-Scott, no idea on the model.

And the price was too good (really good) to say no to, for pottering to town on and to use as well a commuter. So the deal was done.

Having got it home and sorting contact points out etc (needs some TLC, not much), I noticed the seat clamp was way too tight, after some persuasion got it loose and found the seat post is a size too small. Hence the over tightening. Brakes not matching, didn't notice in the shop.

Wondering should I be worried by these things? It''s not a new bike but don't want a dodgy bike too (as in a none legit bike).

In other news I made it in to MBUKs social section. Yay me.

Comments

• Pictures of said bike, I can't find the vintage. Sure it is a Scott sub.

DSC01889_zpsihobbwix.jpg

DSC01888_zps6j3gdnew.jpg

Any one know? Down tube seems oversized, no model anywhere on the bike only serial and make.

Can anyone identify the model? No disc brake mounts, 7 speed, front gears seem to have been removed.

Needs some TLC, new brakes looking at some XT V brakes, new fitting seat post and quickfire gears, but that all looks cheap from flea bay.

Also guess how much I paid for it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The scratches on that vacuum are shocking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The scratches on that vacuum are shocking.

Quite shocking aren't they haha. But i can tolerate them.
  • The scratches probably came from the lock being cut off, I wouldn't touch anything from cash converters as my conscience would kill me. thieves paradise.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • The scratches probably came from the lock being cut off, I wouldn't touch anything from cash converters as my conscience would kill me. thieves paradise.

Was talking about a long standing joke about the scratches on the dyson and my OCD.

But I am curious if you buy an item from a shop and it is "stolen" then where do you stand as a consumer?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    But I am curious if you buy an item from a shop and it is "stolen" then where do you stand as a consumer?

Very simple. The bike does not belong to you, it belongs either to the owner it was stolen from or the insurance company who paid out for it. You have to hand it back to the owner, and any claim you have for any money that was paid for it (did you get a receipt?) is a matter between you and whoever you paid.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • But I am curious if you buy an item from a shop and it is "stolen" then where do you stand as a consumer?

Very simple. The bike does not belong to you, it belongs either to the owner it was stolen from or the insurance company who paid out for it. You have to hand it back to the owner, and any claim you have for any money that was paid for it (did you get a receipt?) is a matter between you and whoever you paid.

Yep have a receipt from the retailer. Was curious where you would stand if the unthinkable happened.

Seat tube being the wrong diamater got me thinking, but it is an oldish bike, so could have been through many hands of people not knowing what they are doing.

Interesting point you made. and 100% valid, this is going off topic but I was doing some reading last week after clicking on one the advert links on here about abandoned cars. And found it interesting how you can claim it to be your own. I'm talking about the exotic cars and not your normal burnt out council estate car.