Rapha Cross Race (Kings Cross 14 November)

Boleynboy
Boleynboy Posts: 83
edited November 2015 in Cyclocross
Anyone else signed up for this to now find out it is 'an urban cross race', which Rapha are proudly stating you do not even need a cross bike to enter!?
So it is effectively a road crit with some art student designed obstacles to clamber over?
Not really what I had in mind after the last three years at Alley Palley, in fact it sounds like a good opputunity to do yourself a mischief (especially if it is wet) and ruin the rest of the season?
Surely they could have found somewhere in the London area to have a proper cross race, as they did with the two Northern rounds?
Wasted my money now as I will not be bothering, and I am sure I will not be the only one?

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    They did say where it was when it opened, though I have to admit I hadn't considered what it would be like if the course was wet.
  • They did say where it was when it opened, though I have to admit I hadn't considered what it would be like if the course was wet.

They said where it was (college grounds near Kings X) but they were very light on details when the entries first opened, which should have made me suspicious because there were full details for the northern races from the off.
    There was initially no mention of it being completely on 'road' (i.e. no off road sections at all).
    The entries for the Alley Pally races have sold out quite quickly in the past few years, so I am guessing they held back that little nugget of info until they had quite a few entries (from people like me) who got their entries in quick because of Alley Pally selling out.
    I entered because I reasonably presumed that if a race was being held in the grounds of a college (as many races are) then it would include road and off road sections?
    It has now been declared an urban cross race, bet the pros are chuffed with that?
    Disappointing behaviour by Rapha, and disappointing overall considering how good Alley Palley has been these last two years?
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    They said it was in Granary Square, KX. A quick look at Google Maps reveals no greenery so it was fairly obvious it wouldn't be a traditional course.
    I agree it's a shame that it isn't at Ally Pally anymore, but guess they are changing the focus. Time will tell if that's a good thing or not!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'd have been in like a shot if it was at Ally Pally. As it was, I had a quick look at Google Maps, took an educated guess as to what the terrain was going to be like, and crossed it off my fixture list.

That said, there was enough information available by the time entries opened to guess that it would be the sort of race where you can't go sideways round corners and it hurts to fall off. It's their race, and they have every right to run it however they see fit (just as I have every right not to enter!)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I didn't look at Google Maps as I thought I was entering a cross race, not a novelty road one!
    They definitely did not have it labelled as an urban cross race when the entries first went online.
    Yes I accept I have been a tad naive as it is a central London location, but not all of central London is concrete! I still feel they should have described it accurately before people paid their money to enter?
    Good luck to those who race (it is not sold out yet), I just feel it is a wasted opputunity on their part (and ours)?
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I've entered and am intending on turning up, however I hope it isn't a tarmac race, maybe they are going to throw some artificial grass down?!
  • I've entered and am intending on turning up, however I hope it isn't a tarmac race, maybe they are going to throw some artificial grass down?!

It is all hard path (concrete/tarmac), no off road sections at all.
    They are even stating you do not need a cross bike to race (certainly not cross tyres anyway)?
    As I said before, it is a novelty road race with obstacles to clamber over.
    It will not be a cross race as first advertised, which is the point of my original post, and I will definitely not be bothering, but I am sure I will not be missed and good luck to those who are going to brave it?
  • I've entered and am intending on turning up, however I hope it isn't a tarmac race, maybe they are going to throw some artificial grass down?!

It is all hard path (concrete/tarmac), no off road sections at all.
    They are even stating you do not need a cross bike to race (certainly not cross tyres anyway)?
    As I said before, it is a novelty road race with obstacles to clamber over.
    It will not be a cross race as first advertised, which is the point of my original post, and I will definitely not be bothering, but I am sure I will not be missed and good luck to those who are going to brave it?

They have also now announced that there is no parking at the venue and very limited pay and display anywhere near it, so basically do not drive to the event?
    And they are warning riders not to wear shoes that could be slippery in wet conditions on an urban course?
    You really could not make it up, I can see many of the elite riders suddenly acquiring man/woman flu for this race?!
  • On_What
    I hate dismounts on tarmac, I'll probably ride up and see how it goes, got a few beers planned after anyway
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It's parkour on a bike.
  • Refund received from Rider HQ so I will stop moaning now!
    Let's hope they find a proper venue for a cross race next year?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited November 2015
    There's also likey to be some disappointed petrolheads milling around Kings Cross on Saturday...

http://www.london24.com/news/quirky-london/supercross_epic_cyclesport_tournament_comes_to_king_s_cross_1_4295310
  • "Hi David, we wouldn't recommend this. Riding a file tread style tyre (with the knobbly bits on the side) will provide the straight line speed and also some grip through the turns as some surfaces will be slippery."

That's in response to a bloke doing it on 25c 4 Seasons.

But, is that even correct. On tarmac, how can a file tread provide any more grip?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    "Hi David, we wouldn't recommend this. Riding a file tread style tyre (with the knobbly bits on the side) will provide the straight line speed and also some grip through the turns as some surfaces will be slippery."

That's in response to a bloke doing it on 25c 4 Seasons.

But, is that even correct. On tarmac, how can a file tread provide any more grip?
    The person providing the response may not actually know what they're talking about. There are still plenty of people who believe that tyres work by gripping the road with the various facets in their tread.

That said, if the surface is at all rough or uneven, a file tread (with our without side knobbles) will probably be a good call anyway; the extra volume and lower pressure will soak up a lot of the bumps and cut down the rolling resistance. Even on a smooth road surface, 33mm files at 40psi don't feel *that* much slower than 24mm slicks at 100+psi...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Indeed. My view was that, given the intended surface, volume would be good. But if you slip, you slip. I'd do it on Hyper Voyagers rather than Rocket Rons.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    There's a few of my club mates doing this but I've opted for Central League instead. I enjoyed it when it was at Ally Pally and it kind of appeals to me but would be too worried about getting a pretty serious injury to enjoy it.

If I was I'd go with something like Challenge Parigi Roubaix or Strada Bianca tyres. Lots of volume and can be run at about 50-60 psi and loads of grip, even on slick cobbles at that pressure.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    It all sounds a bit hipster, does it not?
  • devhads

I'm sure there will be a fair few couriers racing. There was quite a few on singlespeeds in the fun races when it was proper cross at Ally Pally.
  • VamP

I'm sure there will be a fair few couriers racing. There was quite a few on singlespeeds in the fun races when it was proper cross at Ally Pally.

Well, if it keeps them out of real races, why not!

(half-joking)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

Well, if it keeps them out of real races, why not!

(half-joking)

Jon Dennis, overall winner of last year's London League and regular race winner, does most of his races on a singlespeed and works as a courier.
  • VamP
    I should probably state for the record that I have nothing against couriers, singlespeeds, hipsters, race winners or indeed Rapha. :D
  • I should probably state for the record that I have nothing against couriers, singlespeeds, hipsters, race winners or indeed Rapha. :D

Of course you do. We all do. And it's ok to say it. :D
  • On_What
    Didn't think he won overall last year?
  • VamP
    I should probably state for the record that I have nothing against couriers, singlespeeds, hipsters, race winners or indeed Rapha. :D

Well, race winners really get on my goat. :D
  • I should probably state for the record that I have nothing against couriers, singlespeeds, hipsters, race winners or indeed Rapha. :D

Well, race winners really get on my goat. :D

2@ts all of them. What with their fitness, ability and just all round being a lot better than me. Hateful bunch. Why can't they bugger off and do something they aren't good at to test themselves?
  • devhads

What about beards?
  • VamP

What about beards?

And beards.
  • Robb0
    Robb0 Posts: 90
    Well that was a bit of a fiasco. Signed on to find they were running 2.5hrs late. Might have had something to do with only setting up the course on the day, I heard. The course was hairy to say the least, but I rode round it ok early on, admittedly not at race pace. Heavy rain so wet tarmac / paving stones outside, and a crazy bit when you actually went inside the building. But after a while enough water had been brought inside the building to make the steep ramps and tight turns treacherous - I saw about 6 riders hit the deck in the junior and women's race, a couple of them quite hard, luckily no serious injuries. Then they cancelled the women's race and all further races. At least they said we'll get a refund, and people seemed happy to be offered free beer. A joke of a risk assessment, clearly. A bit of a shame really as the Yorkshire events and previous years' races at Al Palace were apparently really good.
  • Well that was a bit of a fiasco. Signed on to find they were running 2.5hrs late. Might have had something to do with only setting up the course on the day, I heard. The course was hairy to say the least, but I rode round it ok early on, admittedly not at race pace. Heavy rain so wet tarmac / paving stones outside, and a crazy bit when you actually went inside the building. But after a while enough water had been brought inside the building to make the steep ramps and tight turns treacherous - I saw about 6 riders hit the deck in the junior and women's race, a couple of them quite hard, luckily no serious injuries. Then they cancelled the women's race and all further races. At least they said we'll get a refund, and people seemed happy to be offered free beer. A joke of a risk assessment, clearly. A bit of a shame really as the Yorkshire events and previous years' races at Al Palace were apparently really good.
    I'm sure Boleynboy will be on shortly with an "I told you so" but given the forecast it was hardly a surprise. I know Rapha can't control the weather but this is November so rain was a fairly likely possibility.
  • Well that was a bit of a fiasco. Signed on to find they were running 2.5hrs late. Might have had something to do with only setting up the course on the day, I heard. The course was hairy to say the least, but I rode round it ok early on, admittedly not at race pace. Heavy rain so wet tarmac / paving stones outside, and a crazy bit when you actually went inside the building. But after a while enough water had been brought inside the building to make the steep ramps and tight turns treacherous - I saw about 6 riders hit the deck in the junior and women's race, a couple of them quite hard, luckily no serious injuries. Then they cancelled the women's race and all further races. At least they said we'll get a refund, and people seemed happy to be offered free beer. A joke of a risk assessment, clearly. A bit of a shame really as the Yorkshire events and previous years' races at Al Palace were apparently really good.
    I'm sure Boleynboy will be on shortly with an "I told you so" but given the forecast it was hardly a surprise. I know Rapha can't control the weather but this is November so rain was a fairly likely possibility.

No gloating from me pal.
    It always had the potential to be a shambles (bad weather or not) and unfortunately that is how it turned out?
    I hope nobody was badly injured?
    Hopefully Rapha will learn from this and get back to some proper racing next year on a proper cross course?