Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited April 2019 in Vintage bikes forum
Hello

I've just acquired for nothing an Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra.

What is it? Is it any good? Brief Google search says yes it's a good 'un and a keeper/long term project but I have honestly no idea.

Current set up is Record Ti shifters, Chorus rear mech, oversize Ali Cinelli bars, everything else looks standard.

Any comments gratefully received.

Many thanks

M.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yep it's a good un. I had a Corsa TSX, wish I never sold it :( It rode beautifully.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Hello

I've just acquired for nothing an Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra.

What is it? Is it any good? Brief Google search says yes it's a good 'un and a keeper/long term project but I have honestly no idea.

Current set up is Record Ti shifters, Chorus rear mech, oversize Ali Cinelli bars, everything else looks standard.

Any comments gratefully received.

Many thanks

M.

Not worth messing with, I'll take it off your hands for £50 ;)
  • Matthewfalle
    Ah - sounds like it may be a keeper then :)

Nap: thank you very much - excellent as always.

Random: very kind offer, thank you. If it would have been £54 then it would have been yours - so near and yet so far :)

I'll try and get around to giving it a good clean this weekend and try and post some piccies.

As an aside, it has Campy cranks but they don't have a gruppo name on them, just the Campy symbol - I presume bottom end/Chorus as per the rear mech at the most? They are the same as ones I have on a Giant Cadex I have hanging on a wall and I think that came with Chorus as standard.

Many thanks in advance for any help with this folly you can give!

M

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • For many years Campagnolo did not put the groupset name on the parts (just to make life confusing), they only started doing that around '96 or so (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the cranks could really be anything from Avanti up to Record.

Keep in mind too that Chorus is good stuff, was second in the Campagnolo hierarchy at the time (now third with the reintroduction of Super Record in 2009).

Also, yes, they're fairly sought after in the realm of classic bikes. Even more so in the team Motorola colours. Certainly worth keeping as a project, even the parts on it are evidently pretty nice - even the Record Ti parts are worth a fair bit nowadays if they're in good condition.
  • Matthewfalle
    For many years Campagnolo did not put the groupset name on the parts (just to make life confusing), they only started doing that around '96 or so (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the cranks could really be anything from Avanti up to Record.

Keep in mind too that Chorus is good stuff, was second in the Campagnolo hierarchy at the time (now third with the reintroduction of Super Record in 2009).

Also, yes, they're fairly sought after in the realm of classic bikes. Even more so in the team Motorola colours. Certainly worth keeping as a project, even the parts on it are evidently pretty nice - even the Record Ti parts are worth a fair bit nowadays if they're in good condition.

That's brilliant - thank you very much. Is there any way of finding out what the cranks are? I had a look at the back of the crank arms but they only have the length of them on there. At this point it doesn't matter too much but intrigued I suppose.

The shifters are nice and clean, no scrapes, although the Record Ti wording is a tad more faded on one than the other.

Think that this maybe a hang off the wall and spend ages collecting suitable parts/touching up chips before a long Sunday eve build in front of the fire.

Intention is just to touch up chips but leave patina as much as possible - sound ok?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Intention is just to touch up chips but leave patina as much as possible - sound ok?
    Yes, definitely better that way in my opinion. Firstly they look better, I don't like it when things are over restored. The owners then worry about getting it dirty and it becomes a show pony. Secondly, when you do use it you can lock it up safe in the knowledge the average tealeaf doesn't know what it is so it will be ignored.
  • Matthewfalle
    Ah, V, just the man. Ciao.

Plan is: thorough degrease, car shampoo wash (maybe do this a couple of times), T Cut, wash, polish with Auto Glym, start build.

It's not actually as bad as it sounds from the above but my medic OCD prevents me from touching anything that even has the remotest bit of cack on it.

Waddya say?

Seized Campag Chorus seat post is the first thing to get sorted, the headset (Campy as well at the mo') - all parts will remain Campy. Selle Italia Flite that is on there at the mo' will be polished with Kiwi and have some very Rey retro (early 90s) Look and Time pedals that will go on - probably the Time ones (unless I'm causing heresy without knowing it) as they are a tighter spring.

Wheel choice is the main issue - this will be a long term saving up point.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518

Random: very kind offer, thank you. If it would have been £54 then it would have been yours - so near and yet so far :)

M

Go on then, I'll take it :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Believe it's Team Kelme colours - good or bad? As soon as I have a proper computer to hand will post a linkie to piccies I have found on retro bike.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

M

Go on then, I'll take it :)

Couldn't possibly clutter up your life with it my friend. :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    Sounds like a good plan. Latex gloves to satisfy your fetishes and medic OCD until it's clean. Sheldon Brown for stuck seat post advice. Got to keep it Campy. Oh, and learn to build wheels. You must have time on your hands when in far flung places.
    Buona fortuna.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Is there any way of finding out what the cranks are? I had a look at the back of the crank arms but they only have the length of them on there.

Well, it's a bit of hard work but try to identify them through these:
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Campagnolo+Archive/Campagnolo+Catalogues/
    You will note that as raisnberry said, they could be anything from Avanti up to Record. It will help in the cross reference if you can date them: on the back of the arms, there may be a number in a box, or circle or diamond (or something similar). Starting in 1973 the crank arms have a code consisting of a diamond (1970's) or circle (1980's) with a number in the center denoting the last digit of the year of manufacture, and then in 1985-9 with square and number in the center: 11 = 1985, 21 = 1986, 31 = 1987, 41 = 1988, 51 = 1989 plus some other examples. (Stolen from here: http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

Does it look anything like this?: http://www.steel-vintage.com/eddy-merckx-corsa-extra-classic-bicycle-detail
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Matthewfalle
    Its the same as this, but dirtier. No downtube shifters either, STis (or whatever Campag call theirs). Anyone know how to make links into piccies?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=124789

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Is there any way of finding out what the cranks are? I had a look at the back of the crank arms but they only have the length of them on there.

Well, it's a bit of hard work but try to identify them through these:
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Campagnolo+Archive/Campagnolo+Catalogues/
    You will note that as raisnberry said, they could be anything from Avanti up to Record. It will help in the cross reference if you can date them: on the back of the arms, there may be a number in a box, or circle or diamond (or something similar). Starting in 1973 the crank arms have a code consisting of a diamond (1970's) or circle (1980's) with a number in the center denoting the last digit of the year of manufacture, and then in 1985-9 with square and number in the center: 11 = 1985, 21 = 1986, 31 = 1987, 41 = 1988, 51 = 1989 plus some other examples. (Stolen from here: http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

Does it look anything like this?: http://www.steel-vintage.com/eddy-merckx-corsa-extra-classic-bicycle-detail

Thank you!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    Its the same as this, but dirtier. No downtube shifters either, STis (or whatever Campag call theirs). Anyone know how to make links into piccies?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=124789
    That has downtube shifters and STIs.
    file.php?id=124789
    Press the img button above and copy the url of the image into the middle.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Pay his wages and he still can't use the internet #todaysworld.

Sorry MF I just don't see the beauty in this, could you explain it to me please?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Matthewfalle
    Pay his wages and he still can't use the internet #todaysworld.

Sorry MF I just don't see the beauty in this, could you explain it to me please?

Thank you for that Flaneur - much appreciated.

I must admit that I can see exactly where you are coming from and would normally agree 100% - not to mention that the one above is a shed, but I've never had a really decent steel frame before and am intrigued about all the hyperbole surrounding same said. It's also cost me nothing.

I think that built up properly it could look pretty cool - half of me wants to chuck some deep rim carbons on it and half of me wants to keep it period (as it cost me nothing and isn't perfect - not to mention the spare deep rim carbons I have I have sitting in the garage, I don't think it's sacrilege and could look uber cool). Either that or some Shamals (but am baulking at the cost to tell the truth).

Black bar tape, polished up black Flite (not too polished, just the mankiness taken off), black deep rims, black or tan wall tyres - will draw in the eye and show off the pearlescent frame colours really nicely I think. May have to buy some black pedals but as there are massive discounts on everywhere at the mo this is an incidental expense that can be used on other bikes anyway.

At the end of the day if I don't like it I can either hang it on the wall to look at or sell on at a profit, so no real harm done (plus a learning curve on Campy gruppo'ed steel framed bike recto job in the mental library).

Having started the clean up today it does look pukka - turns out to be Chorus cranks. Will order some massively discounted Campy cables and track down some lime green touch up paint in the right shade next week and see where it goes.

Will throw the deep rims on for wheeling it about and post a piccie.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    There's a decent record 10 spd groupset in the classifieds at the mo that would look ace on this.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Matthewfalle
    There's a decent record 10 spd groupset in the classifieds at the mo that would look ace on this.

Heading across now :) Ta muchly!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    80s don't work - looks pants. Will try 60s tomorrow.

Hmmm, this may prove tricky and don't want to resort to shallows as I just don't like them ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    If anyone cars, 60s rock and I've just found a mint Chorus front mech in The Box Of Bits that I got for nothing that is fitted to a Pinarello TT frame that I also got for nothing :)

This bike rocks. In fact, I'm off to polish it now.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    If anyone cars, 60s rock and I've just found a mint Chorus front mech in The Box Of Bits that I got for nothing that is fitted to a Pinarello TT frame that I also got for nothing :)

This bike rocks. In fact, I'm off to polish it now.

I care and I want to see pics when you've got it into one piece.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Matthewfalle
    Right

Sans pedals, cables, chain, cages and handlebar tape: 8.34 kilo and far too nice to put any cheap crud on it, so this is going to bankrupt me.

Waddy a say - just over 9kg in race trim? Just some simple cages, nice pedals, light KMC chain.......

Piccies to follow.

It's lush. Even TDV said so and she generally doesn't care one jot what I do.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    Looking forward to seeing this :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Matthewfalle
    Seized seat post puts minor hold on affairs, but will post what I have in the morning. Have also put feelers out for Chorus brakes to match mechs.

For the first time in ages I'm genuinely excited about a bicycle. Deffo the race bike for next season so I can burn everyone off on a 20 year old steelie that cost nothing.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Right,

Pictures are ready to go but when I try and attached them using the upload attachment bit below it says that the page (ie B/Radar) is unavailable - me being a mong or site playing up? Any ideas?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    Do it via photo bucket instead.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Do you need us to explain how to use Photobucket?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Is it this one?

57661060-FF83-475E-B236-CA382AB45EA0.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Right, its on photobucket - how do I get it on here?

Team: No - that's Pinna's good bike. Bets in Gallovidia I understand.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.