Cancellara Confirms Retirement

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited November 2015 in Pro race
http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2493866

Says next year his last and that "the bike is not the only thing in my life". Expected I think, but still sad to see him go, even if I was never his biggest fan.

Hopefully we get fit Tom and Fabs for the last time ever next spring.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Sad.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Sad but inevitable

I hope he can stay crash and injury free, and rip their legs off one last time
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'll miss him, and as noted above hopefully this coming season can see a fully fit field.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Gutted.

Seen it coming but still gutted. Don't think Boonen will be long after.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • A sad day for the classics but races like the TdF not so much. He had become a bit of a whinger in the last few years.

I'm sorry we never got a re-match of a fully fit Boonen v Cancellara in the RVV and P-R. The fickle hand of fate saw to that on a few occassions
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • A sad day for the classics but races like the TdF not so much. He had become a bit of a whinger in the last few years.

I'm sorry we never got a re-match of a fully fit Boonen v Cancellara in the RVV and P-R. The fickle hand of fate saw to that on a few occassions

It's a reminder of just how good Boonen was that he hasn't been fully fit at the Classics since 2012!

AS to Canc's whining, that was what made me never really warm to him. Although, having ridden the descent off the Stockeau now, I see him trying to neutralise the Tour in a slightly more charitable light
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Best rider of the last decade imo. Will be hugely missed.
  • Absolutely gutted. I think a trip out to Belgium in the Spring may be in order for one last hurrah!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • Then, Josh, don't miss out on the RVV museum which has a room full of his bikes, jerseys, medals and other stuff. I think his Belgian fanclub is based out of there.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Has been a bit hard to like the last few seasons but a 10 second flash of highlights of one of his attacks on the cobbles is enough to make me forgive everything...

That stage victory in 2007(?) where he just rode the sprinters off his wheel is what turned me from a bemused admirer to true cycling fan
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Has been a bit hard to like the last few seasons but a 10 second flash of highlights of one of his attacks on the cobbles is enough to make me forgive everything...

Exactly this. In his pomp, almost impossible to not admire. Praying we get one final Boonen vs Cancellara next year, even if it's only 1 race.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Does he still have no interest for the hour record? Nonetheless, like everyone else, I hope he and Boonen are fit for the spring classics, although I am a Boonen man, myself.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • rick_chasey
    Does he still have no interest for the hour record? Nonetheless, like everyone else, I hope he and Boonen are fit for the spring classics, although I am a Boonen man, myself.

You can be both.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Then, Josh, don't miss out on the RVV museum which has a room full of his bikes, jerseys, medals and other stuff.
    It's filling up then. ?
    It must have been open about a year when I popped in there a few years ago (when the Koppenberg was still original) and only several "Pave" blocks, photo's and a couple of bikes to look at.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Always been more a fan of Boonen but Cancellera's famous solo attacks at PR and Flanders were the most incredible feats of physical power on a bike I've seen.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Does he still have no interest for the hour record? Nonetheless, like everyone else, I hope he and Boonen are fit for the spring classics, although I am a Boonen man, myself.

You can be both.

Yes, but in a two man break of Boonen & Cancellara, where the workload is fairly shared, I'd rather see Boonen win. He seems like he'd be more fun to have a pint with afterwards.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • rick_chasey
    Always been more a fan of Boonen but Cancellera's famous solo attacks at PR and Flanders were the most incredible feats of physical power on a bike I've seen.

E3 the year after was something a bit special too. (Check out my man Tankink adding to the drama). This was his first race on cobbles since that Roubaix ride and he came from a looong way back.

http://youtu.be/SHUWTwPu_LA

Listen to how excited Karl gets on the moto.
  • rick_chasey
    I also lost my nut when I saw this monster finish after a tedious super long day where the peloton rode ridiculously slowly.

Didn't make a difference, Canc still destroyed all the sprinters and their teams.

http://youtu.be/BJNLMYpr2TM
  • rick_chasey
    i should have predicted it st the time because I saw the prologue to that Tour in person, in one of the best prologue rides I've ever seen.

http://youtu.be/HA03vSHPBJo
  • rick_chasey
    And finally, on testing, the only full TT that made me get out of my seat (...was born in 88) for the sheer athletic prowess, brought to us by former forumite and banana addict Bhima: http://youtu.be/ha26GN_RLNc

How many TT world champs can sit up and celebrate 500m before the line???
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Then, Josh, don't miss out on the RVV museum which has a room full of his bikes, jerseys, medals and other stuff. I think his Belgian fanclub is based out of there.

It's wonderful isn't it? I stood in there for ages after riding the sportive this year. Legs were aching and dying for something to eat but I couldn't bring myself to leave. Had to be dragged out! The bikes look like they took them from under him at the finish

Edit: I'm properly gutted he's retiring. Won't be the same without him. Great rider, truly a great
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Always been a fan of Fabu, will be sad to see him go. Hopefully i'll get to the classics this spring to see him in action.
  • Then, Josh, don't miss out on the RVV museum which has a room full of his bikes, jerseys, medals and other stuff. I think his Belgian fanclub is based out of there.

Thanks, will do!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • rick_chasey
    It's quite a bizarre room.

Makes up a surprisingly large amount of the museum, especially since no other rider gets a room to themselves.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I'm gutted at this news. Top rider and will be a big miss for the sport.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA
  • rick_chasey
    I know I shouldn't say this but I didn't think that descent was all that....
  • I know I shouldn't say this but I didn't think that descent was all that....

The part just before he enters the tunnel is probably where he was most daring, but certainly, it was no Sean Kelly at MSR descent.

Tell you what, though. Today's moto riders could learn a lot from that video. This year was a joke in that department.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

E3 the year after was something a bit special too. (Check out my man Tankink adding to the drama). This was his first race on cobbles since that Roubaix ride and he came from a looong way back.

His move in the final km in the E3 was one of his best as well; Boonen doing his full sprint to get in his wheel, but still not closing the gap
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng82khcwkQ0
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

His move in the final km in the E3 was one of his best as well; Boonen doing his full sprint to get in his wheel, but still not closing the gap
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng82khcwkQ0
    Talking of Boonen "doing his full sprint and still not closing the gap...
    Flanders 2010...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6z7uUe0tVA

It was a perfect cycling moment for me - "sublime", as Harmon called it (I miss him)...
    Boonen in his national champs jersey: FC in his... The 2 greatest classics riders of their generation alone together in one of the greatest races on one of the most iconic locations in cycling...
    It was the style with which FC dispatched Boonen, though, that was almost chilling.
    It was the moment for me that answered their pecking order.
    For FC to sit in the saddle and drop a rider like Boonen like he did, when he did....In terms of "cycling moment" of the last 10 years, I can't think of one that has haunted me more. I reckon I've ridden the Muur about 10 times in total, but even at my fittest, the steep bit was always plain ugly.
  • If you sit in the saddle and engage the core (as they say) then that little steep path where he gapped Boonen just disappears, especially after it was resurfaced with less gnarly cobbles about 10 years ago. Harmon (and Duffield) always exagerrated the steepness of that part of the Muur for dramatic effect.

Boonen getting out of the saddle in the earlier part of the climb past the church must have flagged up to FC that he was knackered because climbing like that on cobbles isn't efficient at all.