Joe Blow Sport II

MiniMalts
MiniMalts Posts: 266
edited November 2015 in Road beginners
:|:|:|

I'm not having any luck with pumps.

The connector on this thing lets out so much air during the connection and disconnection that I'd have to inflate my tyres to twice the recommended PSI just to have the max after disconnection.

I have Schrader valves and when connected air leaks through the coupling and out through the open Presta connection.

The issues I'm having with pumps is seriously getting me down. :(

Comments

• The Joe Blow heads are crap.

I binned mine after 3 replacements and fitted a Lezyne head
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • The Joe Blow heads are crap.

Have you got a link to the one you fitted?

I was thinking this....

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/SmartHeadUpgradeKit

That way the air can't flow through the open presta hole.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Mine has always been slightly problematic and usually takes at least a couple of goes to connect the head to the valve properly. I always give the valve a 'tap' in case it's stuck but, invariably, when I first connect the pump, it's hard to push down and when it does go, the needle on the pressure gauge goes round to maximum before slowly moving back (sometimes) until an audible click is heard - if that happens, the pump works OK but, if it doesn't, I disconnect and start again when it is usually OK. I have also got into the habit of putting a few extra PSI in to take care of air loss when the head is disconnected. I actually raised this with the Topeak people at the recent NEC Cycle Show but they were fairly useless!

That's a long winded way for me to say that I would also be interested in an alternative head if Bikes'n'guns could post what Lezyne part they fitted, especially if it's a cheap(ish) alternative to buying another pump which I have resisted thus far as my Topeak always seems to work in the end.

Thanks in advance.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Dual-Valve-Pump-Head_77233.htm?sku=245544&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CKewjbuW-sgCFSIOwwod96MC0Q#

You may have to modify the hose a little, or even replace it to get the head on but it can be done and works a treat.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Dual-Valve-Pump-Head_77233.htm?sku=245544&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CKewjbuW-sgCFSIOwwod96MC0Q#

You may have to modify the hose a little, or even replace it to get the head on but it can be done and works a treat.

Hmm, for £10 I guess it's worth a punt. I was considering returning the pump as I thought maybe I had a faulty one. Seems it's common.

Question is, return the pump and get something else, or try a Lezyne head? (my experience of Lezyne pumps so far hasn't been great) If I did return the pump, what would people recommend as an alternative?
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I had this issue with my Joe Blow pump a couple of months ago. I was about to buy a replacement head but decided to take the current one apart and 'service' it - basically clean all the dismantled bits and put them together properly, making sure that everything is aligned properly and secured well.

Since then, zero issues with air leaking out of the other valve head.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Mine has always been slightly problematic and usually takes at least a couple of goes to connect the head to the valve properly. I always give the valve a 'tap' in case it's stuck but, invariably, when I first connect the pump, it's hard to push down and when it does go, the needle on the pressure gauge goes round to maximum before slowly moving back (sometimes) until an audible click is heard - if that happens, the pump works OK but, if it doesn't, I disconnect and start again when it is usually OK. I have also got into the habit of putting a few extra PSI in to take care of air loss when the head is disconnected.

I get something similar with mine. I connect the pump but get a zero reading on the gauge. I then have to make that first hard push and then get a reading.

That said, its never not worked after this and always works great otherwise. I always assumed it was the valves as it works fine on my MTBs. Schwalbe tubes on the MTBs, Continental on the road bikes.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    i have a joe blow and the only issue i have with it is that the head is quite bulky and doesnt fit in the kids bikes wheels.

for my/the wifes bikes, its fine.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Interesting, I've been using that same pump for years, never had any issues at all.
  • Took it back to Halfrauds earlier and of course it decided to work fine on 3 other bikes with schrader valves. :roll: :roll:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The Joe Blow heads are crap.

Very interesting I've found that as well, which leyzne head did you fit and did it require much modification?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I fixed it with one of these....

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/breakdown-essentials/halfords-thumb-lock-tyre-valve-connector

The lock mechanism works the opposite way around to the lock mechanism on bike pumps which I think is a much better way of doing it.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    You are all pressing the valve in a little to release some pressure before fitting the pump head aren't you?
    Only it sounds like some of you aren't from your descriptions, pumps work a lot better if you release a little pressure first.

FWIW I've had a Joe Blow Sport 2 for years now, totally reliable pump. Would recommend.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^ As above.

Have had mine for years, fantastic pump. Hose could be a little longer though.

If you are topping up pressure its a big ask to get it to open valve if there is 90 PSI on the other side of it.

Another thing that works (if the first pump does not open the valve) is to then just wiggle the head (its, not yours).
    Usually 'pops' the valve and off you go with minimal fuss and over pressurisation of pump.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You are all pressing the valve in a little to release some pressure before fitting the pump head aren't you?
    Only it sounds like some of you aren't from your descriptions, pumps work a lot better if you release a little pressure first.

FWIW I've had a Joe Blow Sport 2 for years now, totally reliable pump. Would recommend.

I have two JB's which work fine every time and you're spot on when you say let a little air out first.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • You are all pressing the valve in a little to release some pressure before fitting the pump head aren't you?

I have two JB's which work fine every time and you're spot on when you say let a little air out first.

And just how does one let a little air out first with a schrader valve? Should I lower the pressure all the way before connecting the head?

Letting some air out whilst connecting wasn't a problem considering I was going to be topping up the tyre anyway, the main issues were, despite the locking lever being all the way over, air was flowing out the valve, through the head and out the presta hole. Disconnecting was so difficult (due to the locking lever being tight, the head being big in a confined space, that any air I did put in, escaped during the disconnecting process. However, as I said, I took the pump back to Halfrauds where they tested it on 3 other schrader valves and it worked flawlessly. I have a feeling that I was pressing the head on too far. With the head I have fitted I only need to press it on to the point I can hear a light escape of air, then lock, if I press it any further then the pin in the head is pressing the pin in the valve before its locked. Locking the valve pressed the pin in the head in to the pin in the valve. Which then means, with the Topeak head being large and stiff, the lock in the open position, the pin in the valve with still pressed and was letting the air out.

The way I have it now is fine, the car pump head is more compact and the fact it locks the opposite way around to other bike pumps heads I find far easier. Push the head on and press the locking lever down at the same time is far easier then pushing the head on and trying to lift the locking lever up at the same time.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    you were pushing the locking lever in the right direction werent you? Moving it away from the valve rather than towards it?
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    That's what I was wondering, the head lock is directional, one way locks the schrader and the other locks the presta side, if it's locked to the wrong side then you'll not be closing off the head correctly.

As for how to let a little air out of a schrader, when I've had them I've give the valve needle a little push in with my thumb nail and some air comes out, no need to let it all down.
  • you were pushing the locking lever in the right direction werent you? Moving it away from the valve rather than towards it?

Yes, because it was locking on. The first couple of times I did it wrong as it wasn't locking on.