'96 Kona Sex Too - Overhaul / Rebuild

c0mf0rt
c0mf0rt Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I just picked this bike up a week ago. I'm going to be learning from scratch here. I'm sure this has been discussed over and over for other bikes but I know very little and there is nothing out there about this bike because it is so old. He** is was around before the internet.

I've loaded all the stock equipment under my bike setup. I know where I can get the Fox Alps 4r rebuilt and and I'm overhauling the Q21R front shock with springs instead of elastomers. I replaced the seat. I have a new set of bars coming and a shorter stem.

From this point forward I don't know what to do. I've been looking at new cranks, deraullers, groupsets.... you name it. But there are so many variables that I don't know where to begin. Everything seems to function alright but I would really like to make it as close to a new bike as possible. Plus it has gripshift. I'm thinking i would be better of with a rapid shift but I don't know what will work with what I have.

Is it possible to "refresh" all the components? Are there things I should definitely replace? If there are components I should lube/clean up any assistance is appreciated.

It did go to a Trek shop when I first picked it up. They replaced the chain, rear cassette, rear shift cable, BB (because the spindle was bent).

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Stock SPECS on the bike...

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction: Welded aluminum
Frame Tubing Material: Easton ProGram Elite double-butted
Fork Brand & Model: Rock Shox Quadra 21R
Fork Material: Magnesium, triple-clamp crown
Front Shock: Rock Shox
Rear Shock: Fox Alps-4, 3.0" travel
Rims: Mavic 221, 32-hole
Tires: Front: 26 x 2.10" Kona Sniff, Rear: 26 x 2.10" Kona Scratch
Spoke Brand: DT stainless steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
Spoke Nipples: Brass nipples
Wheels:
Components
Component Group: Shimano Deore XT/LX
Brakeset: Magura Hydraulic HS11 brakes, Magura Hydrostop levers
Shift Levers: Grip Shift SRT-600
Crankset: Curve OM, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals: Wellgo WPD-96A (clipless)
Bottom Bracket: Curve ZVL, 119 mm spindle
BB Shell Width: 68mm English
Rear Cogs: 8-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
Chain: Shimano CN-IG51, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost: Kona O-Beam, 27.0 mm diameter
Saddle: Selle Italia Expedia
Handlebar: Easton, aluminum
Extensions: Not included
Handlebar Stem: Kona Race Light Velocity
Headset: 1 1/8" Kona Race Light Impact

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most people on here are younger than the bike. Good place for parts and advice

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have a choice,
    1/ Rebuild it sympathetically using near period parts to keep the style and fell as it was
    2/ Try and make it more modern
    In my opinion you will fail on 2 as the bikes fundamentals are not really capable of making it into a competitor for a modern bike, so personally I'd go with one, get some classic XT/XTR parts on there.

Nothing inherently wrong with grip shifts, I have them on two of my bikes, it's whatever you prefer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • c0mf0rt
    c0mf0rt Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to check out that retro bike site. This weekend I have plans to clean and lube just about everything. Any advice on a particular shifter I might be able to switch too?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any 8x3 speed Shimano ones. Look for some nice old XT on Retrobike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi, I was wondering how you made out with this project. I have a near mint 96 Sex two, that I had since new. I actually started off with a Foreplay that was stolen and recovered, but it needed a new frame, but a replacement wasn't available. Long story short, I have a Sex Too with upper end parts, but all 96. I am thinking of selling it, and do still have a lot of the stock parts as well.

Judy SL forks
    Race face stem, headset, bars, cranks, bottom bracket and seat post.
    X-Ray grip shifts
    as well as most of the Kona Race Light parts.