Which sub £999 cx bike?

Swiminthecanal
Swiminthecanal Posts: 6
edited November 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi Everyone, I new to forums and to cycling generally and need some advice. I am cycling to work on a heavy Hybrid in training for a C2C trip next year and am loving it. I am thinking of getting a CX bike as an all rounder to do some road riding and trail and towpath riding. I have been recommended the Giant Revolt 1, Boardman CX Team and Planet X London Road. I have a max budget of £999 anyone have a view on which one is best value for money / spec or any others which I should consider? I am fairly clueless as just starting on my cycling journey so any advice would be welcome!!!

Cheers

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Planet X. Simply because it's better specced than the other two
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Agreed with the Planet X but I would look at Planet X's other CX bikes as well. The flanders XLS for example is available at the same price I think, and that's a carbon frame.
  • NeXXus
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Agreed with the Planet X but I would look at Planet X's other CX bikes as well. The flanders XLS for example is available at the same price I think, and that's a carbon frame.
    True. The decider here might be mudguard requirement. The London Rd takes proper fitted guards where the XLS is a race bike so doesn't.
  • Thanks guys, guards are important as the commute to work can be quite muddy / dusty (depending what time of year!) I have also seen the Cannondale CAADX 105 which is just inside my budget and on interest free. How does this compare to the London Road? I am a little apprehensive on the PX as the customer service reviews are poor and being a novice I may need a bit of guidance.
  • NeXXus
    The CaadX is a pure bred CX frame whereas the London Rd is capable of doing anything and everything from road riding, cx, light trail and touring

Here for example is my London Road. It's running 28mm road tyres and I have a swap set of 30mm CX tyres if I want to gravel/light trail ride.

WGc4oK7.jpg
  • Thanks very much, I will check it out. I wasn't sure on the green but it looks great here!
  • NeXXus
    It doesn't picture well but it really stands out on the road. My mates nicknamed it praying mantis :lol: They could also be talking about me and I missed the joke :lol:
  • Did you go for the recommended spec or did you spec anything different?
  • NeXXus
    Just bought a Medium build, think I changed the stem. The Aksium wheels were purchased separately as the standard WTB were in my experience terrible for getting tyres onto.

There is(should be) an option to pick Fulcrum Racing disc instead which with hindsight I would have done.
  • Hi Everyone, I new to forums and to cycling generally and need some advice. I am cycling to work on a heavy Hybrid in training for a C2C trip next year and am loving it. I am thinking of getting a CX bike as an all rounder to do some road riding and trail and towpath riding. I have been recommended the Giant Revolt 1, Boardman CX Team and Planet X London Road. I have a max budget of £999 anyone have a view on which one is best value for money / spec or any others which I should consider? I am fairly clueless as just starting on my cycling journey so any advice would be welcome!!!

Cheers
    Hi guys,
    Just like you @ Swiminthecanal ,I'm also looking for a decent lightweight cyclocross bike which can take puncture resistant tyres yet go very fast on/off the road. As I'm also using the halfords cycle2work scheme, I'm limited to the brand of bike I should get. I personally don't like the boardman cx. I'm currently torn between a cannondale synapse and the CAADX tiagra.
    Physically, I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 113kgs. Any help from you guys will make my day!
    Thanks a million.
  • I went for the PX Lindon Road in the end and am loving it. I have swapped the tyres for some cx semi slicks and it's perfect for what I need. It's quick on the road and feels solid and secure on tow paths as well. I am not sure how it compares to your options spec wise but I can recommend.
  • Unfortunately Planet X bikes are not available under our scheme. Looks like the Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2016 is winning so far though. Has anyone tried it yet and has anything to say about it?
  • Giant TCX SLR2