Giant Trance 3 (2015)

kickaxe
kickaxe Posts: 446
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys and girls,

I am looking to get a new bike. I currently have Cube Acid 29" 2013, but I have grown quite a bit since the purchase of that bike(I should not become much taller than I am right now though). I do plan on the occasional trip to a bike park, but I am not planning on doing anything too "gnarly". I would mostly use it in the Black Forest and the Alps. I am under 18 so I am on a Budget, although 1300Euros (1000 Pounds) would be possible. What do you think about this bike for me? Do you have better bikes for the same price?

Thanks, Luca
-Cube Acid 29" 2013
-A new Giant Trance 3 2015!

Comments

• Can you post a link to the spec of the bike so we can have a look? :)
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • kickaxe
    Here Are the specs: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.27.5.3/18763/76211/

My first upgrades would be a dropper post, then a chainguide.

Thanks
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice bike. Pretty much as good as my Transition but a complete bike for what I paid for a frame.
    Dropper post is a nice extra but chain devices have pretty much become obsolete with narrow / wide chainrings and clutch mech.
  • kickaxe
    How well will the Trance climb compared to my Hardtail? (Note that my Hardtail is 15" while I should have 20", which makes the bike cramp me up a bit)

How much does your Transition weigh?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If your hardtail is too small then the right size bike is going to climb a lot better.
  • kickaxe
    Sounds good! I got an appointment at a Giant Testcenter on Friday, I'll keep you guys updated!

What do you think about the Trance 2? Is it worth paying 200 more?

Here is the link:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.27.5.2/18763/76210/
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • I did enjoy riding the 2015 Trance 2 but would no where near be able to describe it as being in the same universe to a hardtail in terms of going uphill. Unike the Anthems I tested.

It is fairly soggy at the back blowing through the middle of the travel very easily. Stay seated and it is ok. Get out of the saddle and it really sucks out your energy. It needs either running it at too high a pressure on the rear shock or buying spacers to reduce the air volume.

Other frustration was the odd choice of long stem and fairly narrow bar it comes with fo that type of bike.

The Trance platform has pedegree and reputation but my advice is to be slightly wary of the lower 2015 models. Buy them at the right price on the understanding some upgrading might be in order to get them workin right. However I would not personally buy on the basis of thinking they are a complete package.
  • kickaxe
    Other frustration was the odd choice of long stem and fairly narrow bar it comes with fo that type of bike.

The Trance platform has pedegree and reputation but my advice is to be slightly wary of the lower 2015 models. Buy them at the right price on the understanding some upgrading might be in order to get them workin right. However I would not personally buy on the basis of thinking they are a complete package.

I actually quite like the cockpit setup of the trance, I like running bars around 700mm, the stem length seems about right for me as well.

I wasn't expecting the Trance to climb quite as well as a hardtail, but obviously I should be able to get up a hill relatively easily. As long as it still climbs "well", all that will happen is that I get a bit fitter...

Can you think of a better bike for the price? It's fine if it's from 2015 as they are usually on a bit of a discount...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Other frustration was the odd choice of long stem and fairly narrow bar it comes with fo that type of bike.

I actually quite like the cockpit setup of the trance, I like running bars around 700mm, the stem length seems about right for me as well.

I wasn't expecting the Trance to climb quite as well as a hardtail, but obviously I should be able to get up a hill relatively easily. As long as it still climbs "well", all that will happen is that I get a bit fitter...

Can you think of a better bike for the price? It's fine if it's from 2015 as they are usually on a bit of a discount...

Depends on the terrain you want to ride?

Maybe it is worth considering a 2015 Anthem or Anthem Sx if you want a bit more climbing ability?

The Trance put a big smile on my face. I started aiming at the biggest rocks I could find on it just to see what happened. Its a tank and rolls over anything.

However to combat the softness you need to pump it up and as such loose a bit of travel and sensitivity. For the sale price though it is a lot of bike and a superb platform to upgrade over time.

Best thing is to try and test ride one and see what you think.

Also Check out the 'your bikes' section here. There are a couple of Trances. It will give you an idea of what people like to do with them over time..
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    I rode that exact model for a day at the bike park in Saalbach and i loved it. Fast, responsive and fun, handled red Alpine runs no problem. As I had the funds i got the Trance 1 which is fantastic, if id had a tighter budget id have bought this in a flash. A fun, confidence-inspiring ride.
  • kickaxe
    Well, today I tested the Trance at a Giant Testcenter. And I was quite impressed! I was not expecting it to climb as well as it did, but it honestly felt like a pillow floating uphill, climbing like a Hardtail but still with suspension. As to the downhills, I was impressed as well. I rode down a trail needing serious maintenance (full of big branches on the trail and such), but it still soaked everything up amazingly! Well, I will probably look into getting a Trance 3 in the next few weeks, I would wait until Christmas to actually ride it on the trails though just because...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • kickaxe
    :mrgreen: Got it. Love it.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013