Anyone got an opinion on Diamondback Apex 2015?

mahavishnuuu
mahavishnuuu Posts: 4
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
HI all. Just registered. I am looking for a first MTB and found a well specced one on sale on chain reaction cycles, I put a link below. I can't find any reviews on it and since CRC seems to have heaps of them in stock it's almost as if something's wrong with them. It's nicely specced for €600, well really good since RRP is €950.
It's got a 2x10 drivetrain, which is perfect for me, the fork has got good reviews and the frame has got a lifetime warranty. All this is great on paper but not if the bike runs poorly.
Anyone know anything about this bike?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/it/en/diamondback-apex-hardtail-bike-2015/rp-prod139045?icn=clearancevoucher&icb=subcat-top-mtbbikesclearancevoucher

Thanks,

Simon

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Drivetrain is good for the money, Fork is OK at E600 but would be a bit poor at 950.

What sort of usage are you considering?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Drivetrain is good for the money, Fork is OK at E600 but would be a bit poor at 950.

What sort of usage are you considering?

Hi. The terrain here is really mixed. I'm on a volcanic island (Lipari) so I'm gonna try and go everywhere from trails, rocky roads in the woods to worse, if I ever dare. I'm thinking maybe 29er isn't really to my advantage here. Maybe 26 or 27.5 would be better suited. Massive rains in the winter makes for a tricky ride, with rocks and logs/branches being flushed down everywhere. Just saw another post regarding a 26" B'Twin on sale with similar components, although better fork(i think) and 3x10 drivetrain. Would prefer the 2x10 or even simpler though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2x10 or 3x10, both have advantages and disadvantages, if you are riding on the road much at all then 3x10 gives better top gear so would be my choice, otherwise its personal preference.

For the usage you describe it sounds like you need a bit of agility, so yes a 26 or 27.5, the Rockriders have always been great value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 2x10 or 3x10, both have advantages and disadvantages, if you are riding on the road much at all then 3x10 gives better top gear so would be my choice, otherwise its personal preference.

For the usage you describe it sounds like you need a bit of agility, so yes a 26 or 27.5, the Rockriders have always been great value.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Everything I've read about the Apex, reveals bike to be heavier in nature. Not a fan at all of the cantalever brakes either. I ride a Diamondback Overdrive. 29er with disc brakes, absolutely love it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Everything I've read about the Apex, reveals bike to be heavier in nature. Not a fan at all of the cantalever brakes either. I ride a Diamondback Overdrive. 29er with disc brakes, absolutely love it.
    Canti brakes?

Did you miss the link?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools