rockrider 560 front wheel

Bushybaker
Bushybaker Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, would like to thank everyone here first of all. I'm quite new to MTB's and was looking for a decent MTB, and after reading post from some of the users I decided to go with the rockrider 560. Such a good bike for £340 couldn't be more pleased.

Unfortunately after 1 day of use some scumbag has stolen the front wheel. I was hoping to get a like for like replacement as the rear still in perfect condition although I can't seem to find one so I've decided to come back here for some advice on what to do.

I've noticed allot of wheels come in sets rather than individually and while I feel comfortable fitting a front wheel/tyre/brake disc I don't think i'd be able to replace the rear properly due to the gear assembly.

So a few questions, is it a big deal getting a mismatched front/rear wheel (it doesn't need to be perfect)? Any suggestions on what wheel/tyre/brake disc to get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Its no big deal having different wheels, however you REALLY need to learn how to take the rear on/off as you will get a puncture at some point and need to do it to get home.

it would be a great opportunity to upgrade your wheels and lighten the bike - if you are not too heavy, I can recommend these: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/stans-switch-ultra-clearance-wheelset.htm (choose the stans crest 26" set) for £200 but that turns your £330 bike into a £530 one - an awesome one for the money still though!
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I don't think he was afraid of taking the rear off for a puncture, I suspect he was more fearful of removing the cassette etc.

@bushybaker - have you tried Decathlon? They might be sympathetic, and they are bound to have to call in spare wheels from time to time when repairing customer bikes.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I would have thought that this combo would put you back where you were without taking the "opportunity" to upgrade.

Tyre
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/country-trail-mountain-bike-tyre-26x200-id_8337589.html (as fitted to rear)
    Brake rotor
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/160mm-disc-brake-rotor-id_8325114.html (nothing fancy, but would work OK)
    Wheel
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/26-mtb-front-wheel-black-id_8336019.html (double walled, probably very little difference to the one that was nicked).

Still going to set you back about £50 all in, which is a shame.

Obviously if you want to use the incident to justify an upgrade, then you'd have to name your price, but if you're anything like me you'll fail to justify anything which is too large a percentage of the price you paid for the whole bike in the first place!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi all, would like to thank everyone here first of all. I'm quite new to MTB's and was looking for a decent MTB, and after reading post from some of the users I decided to go with the rockrider 560. Such a good bike for £340 couldn't be more pleased.

Unfortunately after 1 day of use some scumbag has stolen the front wheel. I was hoping to get a like for like replacement as the rear still in perfect condition although I can't seem to find one so I've decided to come back here for some advice on what to do.

I've noticed allot of wheels come in sets rather than individually and while I feel comfortable fitting a front wheel/tyre/brake disc I don't think i'd be able to replace the rear properly due to the gear assembly.

So a few questions, is it a big deal getting a mismatched front/rear wheel (it doesn't need to be perfect)? Any suggestions on what wheel/tyre/brake disc to get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The going rate on gumtree for a standard wheel and tyre is a tenner, More exotic offering( alex, maverick ) etc can be had for circa 25 quid a wheel. Just buying a cheap ish one which will be as good or better than the one you had nicked, will get you back on the trail, whilst you consider up grading

As a general point, if your leaving the bike in places were people nick the wheels I wouldn't be leaving it there with 200 quids worth of wheels on it. Doing away with the QD feature means the thief has to be a bit more organized or just put the crap wheels on if your popping into town
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah - you need to sort out the cause of having the wheel stolen. Putting a cheap one on doesnt solve it - the inconvenience is just as bad even if the cost isnt. I always look a cable through my front wheel and join it to the main D lock which is locking the bike up (the D lock passes through rear wheel as well as seatstays). The cable could be cut but at least they need a tool to do so. Getting rid of Quick Release and using a bolt or lockable skewers will help put them off but again are not hard to defeat.
  • brianbee
    Yeah - you need to sort out the cause of having the wheel stolen. Putting a cheap one on doesnt solve it - the inconvenience is just as bad even if the cost isnt. I always look a cable through my front wheel and join it to the main D lock which is locking the bike up (the D lock passes through rear wheel as well as seatstays). The cable could be cut but at least they need a tool to do so. Getting rid of Quick Release and using a bolt or lockable skewers will help put them off but again are not hard to defeat.

There is a point where the level of security/inconvenience of stopping theft of bits off your bike passes the inconvenience of having the bits nicked.

You cant actual stop it from happening, all over Manchester there are bare frames of what were once quite reasonable bikes locked to fixed objects. I presume they nicked the wheel or the saddle and came back later for the rest ? There is a totally stripped Carara fury frame at the back of the Arndale. wheels are one thing, but they have taken the bottom bracket out of this one ! You can get a set off forks off in under a minute even if you have locked the front wheels up

All you can do is try and park in a sensible place preferably next to a better bike that's not as secure as yours !

OR buy a bike for 30 quid and just shrug if you come back and bits are missing. I have an elderly GT hybrid that I never clean, that they have declined to steal in whole or part in the last two years. I frequent don't bother locking it at all if I am just popping in a shop
  • @apreading yeh im fine changing it for a puncture. The bike itself was a bit over budget so a £200 wheel set is really not an option. Not been cycling for a while so need to build up my strength, a heavier wheel might actually be an advantage :lol:

@larkim I tried decathlon and they can't supply an identical replacement, I see btwin are replacing the bikes with the 2016 range so they probs holding onto any spares they have. They recommended the same as you did and i'm probably going to get that.

In regards to security this was for sure an opportunistic theft by some junkie, a simple chain or wheels without quick release would have stopped this, he didn't even bother with the rear that wasn't secured. It wasn't chained up at a place where bikes are commonly parked, I see bikes in glasgow city centre with bits missing all the time as well. I did get a U-lock when I got the bike but realised later I couldn't secure the wheels with it, was going to get an additional chain the next day.

It was parked close to my local pub and I know lots of ppl in there so they have been trying to find it. They successfully located a witness and we know who took it as he is known in the area so there's a possibility of getting the original back.

Still going to get that wheel from decathlon tho, It seems decent enough and a spare cant hurt if I do get the original back incase something like this happens again.

Thanks to all for your advice with this.
  • brianbee

Still going to get that wheel from decathlon tho, It seems decent enough and a spare cant hurt if I do get the original back incase something like this happens again.

Thanks to all for your advice with this.

Order yourself an axle with out QD at the same time Oh and a spanner