Aldi cycle work stand - any good?

MishCliff
MishCliff Posts: 14
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Has anyone got an Aldi bike work stand - are they any good for the money?

Currently on sale at £29.99

Comments

• Rock solid, very good.
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    +1 - I got mine for about £25 - bargain. Clamp to hold the handlebars straight is a bit poor but rest of the stand is fine
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Yep, excellent value for money.
  • Great stuff - cheers guys - will pop down this aft and get one
  • +1 from me. excellent bit of kit
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    Had mine a couple of years and can't fault it.
  • Tres Bon.

Buy two- one for washing duties and getting covered in shite, one for tinkering :)

(I only have one cox I'm tight)
  • +1 for me
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I have one about 2 years old now.

For the money its Ok.
    The clamps are not easy to tighten sufficiently to hold a bike other than at the balance point - though a mate said he put some carbon paste on the clamp and it was much better.

I saw Planet X had the Jobsworth Professional Folding Alloy Home Workstand for sale at £39.99 and that is so much better - lighter, quick release clamps and a ratchet to hold the bike at an angle.

The Aldi stand is now relegated to washing duties.
  • Has anyone got a comparison with the one from Decathlon, it's the same price and looks pretty solid.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/one-bike-workstand-id_8327950.html
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Decathlon one looks cool........Its black and red!

Seriously though (pretending I wasn't being) if the Aldi one is like my Lidl one and has four legs, I would try the Decathlon one.
    Its annoying having two legs sticking out behind the bike. They get in the way and also stop it going up against a wall etc.
    Its much better having two wider legs underneath the bike wheels (where they are not in the way of anything).
    The two leg design also means that the main support is at an angle, and not in the way of pedals.

For the money any of them are better than not having one, but the Lidl one and I am guessing the Aldi and Decathlon ones have one or two flaws that mean they are not in the same league as a more substantial brand/model.

My Lidl one was bought to put in the shed for garden bike washing duties, for which it is fantastic.
    Have a Park tools PS10 in the garage and its far more usable (and better value) as a work stand IMO.
  • I've got the Aldi one and it's ok, but not great. It struggles to hold the bike steady at an angle eg if you want it higher up to work on and attach them clamp to the down tube.
    I also don't like the way the legs go up and down; it's an A&E trip waiting to happen.
  • just noticed my aldi one has a magnetic tray. only had it two years :-)