Folding Bike-what to get

dave35
dave35 Posts: 1,124
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
Looking at a folding bike for the odd ride to and from the station,not on a huge budget £500-£600.
Requirement i suppose I'm looking for is ease of use-folding/unfolding/carry the thing. Might only be used twice a week for a 3 mile ride at night so I know I can take it on the train but don't want to be farting around too much put it together.

Comments

• dave35
    Choices between
    Dahon uno speed
    Dahon mu uno
    Tern link d8
    Tern link d16

Will now be a 10 mile flat commute in then short ride to the station on the way home.
    Any experiences with these bikes? Or are their ones to avoid?
  • If it was me, I'd be looking for a second hand Brompton - 15 seconds to put up, ultra small fold & hold their value over the years. Also built to last, lots of fun to ride & secondhand still way better than some new folding bikes with intrinsic issues.

As you might have guessed, I'm an evangelist, my first brompton was stolen some years back, so get a good lock (which I have now done) - I replaced the stolen with a second hand brought off ebay about 4 years ago for £400 - not much spent on it since & has had daily 15-20 mile use over past 2 years combined with train travel, so it really works for me.

Anyway just my thoughts & cholce is yours ...

Peter
  • dave35
    thanks,
    After much thought I went with a new Brompton s2L. Didn't really need a 6 or 9 speed bike or else I would sold the road bike, it's purely for either commuting from the station or chucking it in the car and riding round the park with the family.
  • dave35
    An interesting first ride,jumped in at the deep end and straight into a 10 mile commute. Bit twitchy at first but once I got going it held up well and was surprisingly nippy.
    My legs hurt a lot now though,possibly due to a different riding position compared to the road bike.