Airfork Newbie

mra123
mra123 Posts: 23
edited November 2015 in MTB beginners
I picked up a Rockrider 560 in the sale which has the Rockshox solo air fork. Couple of days later I picked up the shock pump from decathlon in order to set it up properly for my body weight. On connecting the pump to the valve I couldn't get any pressure reading. Being late at night I persisted with it and ended up stripping the valve off the fork........I have bought a tool to change out the valve for a new one. Question is - is it that hard to attach a shock pump first time as a newbie? I would of thought i should be getting an instant reading but couldn't seem to get a proper seal (air was escaping if I pumped).

Do you think it was a faulty pump or possibly a bad valve? Was impressed with the bike offroad even with the fork locked out after I gave up on it. I'm just not sure whether to pick up another shock pump from decathlon or go with a more expensive brand?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The valve pump connector should just screw on the valve, never had a problem myself.

Sounds like you crossthreaded it at the first attempt and then it wasn't going on far enough to open the valve and you ended up stripping the thread,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy enough to check the pump - just screw it on a schrader valve. Possibly your tyres are the same.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Once you have screwed the pump onto the schrader valve, some pumps then also have an additional "collar" that you have to tighten clockwise to actually engage the valve.

I think my pump is a Topeak one, and has this additional step.

Removal is simply reverse - undo collar, then unscrew pump from valve
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mine have little levers/clips.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mra123
    mra123 Posts: 23
    Thanks guys for the replies. Yeah this one had the two different collars but didn't really have any instructions with it. I may have cross threaded it without knowing which is annoying...the valve core removal tool arrived today but sadly I can't get enough purchase on what remains to get it out so think it will need to be drilled out. I don't want to cause any other damage so I will drop it into a shop probably and get them to sort it out and pick up a new pump at the same time. Newbie errors!!