The New Best folding Bike

BikeFolder
BikeFolder Posts: 2
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi all, I'm currently part of a group who are trying to design and build the best folding bike possible and we would really like to get your input, we have created this simple 10 question survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FB8XYFX) to hopefully gain some more insight on the current market and hopefully start a conversation about how we as a group can make this college projecct something real.

Looking forward to hearing your responses,
B.F

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've filled out the survey. To be blunt it doesn't seem to ask much useful.

Have a read over
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=13034475
    That was the last 'next big thing in folding bikes' post and it got more of a response than most here do.

What do you mean by 'the best folding bike'

Do you want it to fold well? e.g. Brompton
    Do you want it to feel like a 'real' bike? e.g. Airnimal
    Do you want it to be cheap but does the job? A bunch of others

If you can hit all 3 then great, but if not then you'll need to figure out what 'best' means.

I don't have a folder. If I did I think it'd end up being a Brompton. They're quick enough given the right engine and they fold well. They're lighter than most hybrids.

If there were a basic folding frame that could be adapted with off the shelf parts then I think you'd do well. The ability to upgrade bars, stem, brakes, gears wheels maybe, with a fold that still worked.

Anyway, good luck with clarifying what you want to make :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I did your survey. It was indeed very quick to take part in although, as a non-foldy man, i'm not your target market. I fit my road bike into my car each day and then cycle the last 7-15 miles (weather and time of year dependant). For that reason, i would only consider a foldie that felt very much like a "real" bike!