Mudguard Clearance

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Not flogging loads of mudguards but...

Is there an optimum clearance for a front mudguard? Took the plunge and bought a front (& rear) mudguard. I've got a CX front fork & disc brake and there is a massive gap between the arch of the fork and the wheel - no problems with fitting then. But, even with the mudguard fitted to the maximum extension of the bracket, there is still 2 inches between the guard and the wheel. Obviously adjusted the bottom to make that the same all round.

To me it just doesn't look right and just want to ensure that its going to be effective.

(I have got a rear Bontrager NCS I'm not going to be using if someone is interested...)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,361
    CX forks have loads of clearance so you do get more of a gap. You could extend the bracket so it hangs lower, and still looks a bit odd. I think I did that with my previous bike, on this one I have left it with the larger gap between mudguard and tyre. I fitted mine so the gap does close in a bit as it goes round, mainly because with the stays bent to clear the caliper I had no choice.